Sorry, Birth Control Question!

Options
Hi. A little awkward I know, but I have a question. I am starting a new pill because my insurance changed and the pill I've been taking for 6 years isn't covered anymore. I am switching from Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo to Ortho Cyclen.

Both are daily oral contraceptives, with pretty much the same possible side effects and interactions, but with different concentrations of the active ingredient I guess. I talked to my pharmacist (a dude) and he could only tell me what was on the pamphlet.

I'm concerned about weight gain, which is why I am posting here as well as asking the medical professionals in my life! Real life testimonials paint a more realistic picture sometimes.

Has anyone changed oral contraceptives before? Was it a shock to the system?

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was on this for a short while.. I was having problems with endometriosis, and this was one way to control the condition. I can't take bcp high in estrogen, they make me crazy. The Lo cyclen was fine, and I didn't experience weight gain because of it. In hindsight, had I been working out, it would have made it easier to lose weight because my endo was painful enough without management that I would not have been able to work out. I ultimately had to have a hysterectomy, which was the best move I ever made. I'd have had it 10 years earlier if I'd known what a lifesaver it was.. and I didn't experience weight gain then either, in fact, the removal of the cause of my abdominal pain actually helped me to lose weight.. I'd have never been able to run with that sack of potatoes in my pelvis the way it was.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    When your body is getting used to the difference in hormones you may feel more hungry than normal but that's something you'll have to keep an eye on and deal with should it happen. The pill won't magically make you gain fat... you may gain some water weight while your body is adjusting but that's all.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am just starting a new pill as well after not taking any for about 6 months. Now, the only real reason that weight gain may be associated with a birth control pill is because of increased appetite, aka higher calorie intake so of course you might see some gain. The pill itself won't make you gain weight. So with this knowledge, I am going to do my best to keep tabs on how my body really feels and will be trying to eat something healthy every few hours so I don't feel the need to binge or anything. I specifically mentioned to my doctor that I was still trying to lose weight and she said she put me on something that hopefully won't affect my appetite as much. I think if you can do your best to ride it out for the first two months or so, you'll be fine.
  • skirtlongjacket
    skirtlongjacket Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better, thank you. Sounds like I need to watch my intake (thanks mfp.com!) and be ready for some extra water weight until my body gets used to the new formula. I appreciate the input, thanks!
  • bstoebner
    bstoebner Posts: 10
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I know a couple of women who switched types of BCP and ended up getting pregnant during the transition, so be careful!
  • skirtlongjacket
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I know a couple of women who switched types of BCP and ended up getting pregnant during the transition, so be careful!

Well that would blow my weight loss goals all to heck.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was on the exact same one. I was on Lo and was switched to the regular version. I did not notice any change at the time, still don't.

You will not get pregnant from switching either. They are almost the exact same pill except the regular just has more of the same hormones. I was on Lo and I finished my last pack after the 7 green pills and just started the regular version with no issues.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I changed from Yasmin to Yaz to Gianvi in the past 6 years. I actually lost weight going to the lower hormone dose, though I am thinking it may be water weight. Just be extra careful in your diet for the first few months until your body adjusts to the new hormone levels, and don't be alarmed by 1-5 lb. fluctuations weekly.
  • skirtlongjacket
    Options
    Thanks, Ivikatasha, sounds like my situation exactly. I don't get how they can charge me more for less hormones, but as long as they work I'll deal with the logical fallacies.
  • xcrmonger
    xcrmonger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! You take the same thing I do! I started out on Ortho-Cyclen High, and went to Orthocyclen after a year. No weight gain, but I did gain a cup size.

You should be fine :)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Oral contraceptives work different for everyone, hun. I hated Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo because I was never regular on it. I now take Reclipsen (a generic brand of Desogen) and I love it. My period comes at the same time without fail. I've had no problems with weight gain using any of the contraceptives I've tried. Although, pay attention to how the new dosage affects your mood and your cycle. Your cycle should be like clockwork after 2-3 months, so if it isn't, talk to your doctor about switching to a lower dosage. Ortho TriCyclen is a higher dosage than the Lo, so it might not be exactly what you were hoping for. Good luck!
  • skirtlongjacket
    Options
    <b>Update: I've been on the new pill for about 2 months now, and I have not gained or lost any weight. My cup size went up though, which is freaky when you think about messing with hormones. When I chatted about the plateau to my boyfriend, he was understanding of my frustration but said, "well, that's good fat though, right?" Isn't he sweet? :indifferent: (JK he's the best:blushing: )

Edit: And NO BABIES.

Just in case people wanted closure to this topic.</b>
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'd call a physician.
  • skirtlongjacket
    Options
    Not a big reader, eh, pedal pusher?
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'd think your makeup would be the most effect form of bc:tongue:
  • skirtlongjacket
    Options
    This is what happens when men weigh in on BC discussions-- total distraction from the point at hand!
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    When I took pills I switched from the "Lo" to the regular ortho. I didnt have any weight gain issues. I did have some nausea from the change in hormones but that diminished within the first few days. Pills are pills...hormones & chemicals. I have an IUD now, so I don't have all the chemicals in my body. Good luck & call your Doc if you have questions.