Need motivation to keep working out after today's weight in

Options
:frown:

I started exercising 8 days ago. Nothing crazy, but 30 minutes on the elliptical everyday for 8 days straight... I thought that was a pretty good start considering I went from a couch potato to working out everyday for a week. I've lost 30 pounds with no exercise, but wanted to see what a week would look like if I challenged myself a bit... I weighed in this morning. I lost 1.4 pounds. Really??? That's what I lose when I don't work out!!! My first thought was the whole "gaining muscle" bit... but I'm only doing cardio! No weights, no push ups, no crunches... just the elliptical. My husband thinks I should workout everyday for the next 2 weeks, upping the length and intensity of my workouts and see what happends, but I have a 17 month and 4 month old... a half hour EVERY DAY is hard enough to get in! I can only put my 4 month old in a bouncer for so long.

Anyway... I guess I'm just feeling defeated. I figured since I usually lose 1 1/2 pounds each week just by dietting, that I'd at least lose 2 1/2, maybe even 3 pounds. My husband was waiting outside of the bathroom for me this morning waiting to hear the news, and he could tell by my face I wasn't exactly thrilled. Don't get me wrong... 1 1/2 pounds isn't terrible, especially when I think of what 1 pound of fat actually LOOKS like. Yuck. I had just hoped for more and am having serious motivation issues about getting on the elliptical today.

I HATE WORKING OUT!!!!!

**editting to add my stats.

A: 24
H: 5'3
SW: 231.4 the day I had my son, 214 one week after having him
CW: 175
GW: 160
UGW: 150

Replies

• Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I hate working out, too. I work full time and have 3 kids under the age of 6. Hate it with a passion! Just keep at it, girl! It WILL go.
  • lilinubo
    lilinubo Posts: 11
    Options
    1.4 IS NOT BAD AT ALL!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Are you doing long distance endurance or HIIT on the elliptical? I'm by no means an expert on this but from what I've heard, HIIT is better at fat burning. It takes time. Burning calories does not necessarily mean you're burning fat etiher. Trying exploring other workout options until you find something you don't hate.
  • HakunaMatata519
    HakunaMatata519 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting on it and going lol I haven't messed with any of the resistance settings or anything yet. I just go at a decent pace for a half hour... usually for the last 2 minutes and go crazy on it, pushing myself as hard as I can. I know it's not much, but I know once I start using the resistance settings, I'm going to not want to get on it even more LOL
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try taking some measurments and you may notice that you have some non scale victories. I can tell my clothes fit better when I work out vs just diet.
    Consider it is still a loss! 1.4 pounds is in a healthy range! Too much more and you may have a prob with loose skin because your body just can't adjust to much more than 1-1.5 pounds a week.
    You may have better losses too if you change it up. Our body adjusts pretty easy to workouts. If you do some weights or some variations or lunges you may find that will help too.

Hopefully your goal is to look fantastic and I think you will be happy with the affects of excersize and diet more. Think of those you know who are "skinny fat" and lack energy and while the number is lower on the scale the clothes size is still bigger. I want energy and to be able to keep up with others when I do decide to test myself physically :)

Try flipping youtube on and doing a workout with that, I would do turbofire or p90x, but yoga or something would be fun too~ keep up the fantastic work though, anything is better than nothing.