Chinese food

Options
so my friend who I haven't seen in a very long time wants to go out to dinner with me so she can introduce her new boyfriend. They picked a Chinese buffet as our dinner spot. Please, how do I keep a healthy calorie/SODIUM intake at this place?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't track calories when I go out for Chinese. It's not something I do that often so I just enjoy myself.
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Most chinese places have vegeterian options I believe.. try eating one of those?
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Look at the options like steamed veg and fish ? Maybe give the place a ring ahead of time and ask what they have on the menu then look them up to find out .
  • pixelsurgeon88
    pixelsurgeon88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always try and go for a soup with heaps of veggies.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Alot of the chinese buffetts have the Mongolian part that you put your own ingredients together and they cook it for oyu. That's what I do, tell them no butter or oil..... I also fill up on crab legs. :) HTH.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i usually hit the salad first then royally pi*s them off by picking the broccoli out of the chicken or steak and broccoli pans
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You can't so eat the white rice, chicken and broccoli, and keep portion size down. Drink lots of water and just enjoy. It's only 1 meal and will not set you back if you are careful the rest of day or even tomorrow. :)
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    Stay away from anything fried or breaded, and just because its all you can eat....DONT DO IT!! Oh and tons of water to help flush the salt!! Just have fun, its all about your friend tonight!!
  • siriusalien
    Options
    My go to is beef with broccoli ( I can't spell stuff thats good for ya) and if I must spice it up oyster sauce... Otherwise I concur veggies veggies and maybe theres a chicken dish
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    What ever you do stay away from the buffett and order off of the menu that way you won't be tempted to eat more.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Is this an "all you can eat buffet"? Don't go back up to the buffet. Or rather, set limits for yourself. Once up for salad/fruit, once for main course(s) and once for dessert. Don't fill your plate. Take reasonable servings. Try to eat what you'd order or select if it weren't a buffet. Breaded and fried foods tend to have more calories. Sauces can hide a lot of salt. What you eat depends on your goals. I asked a similar question awhile about what some good choices were to order in Chinese restaurants (try a search). One suggestion was to eat brown rather than white or fried rice. Another was that some restaurants have "American" and "Chinese" menus -- with the Chinese one tending to be meals with lower calories. Even a restaurant with a buffet may have a sit-down menu option. If buffets are a problem for you, a menu may be a better option. Look up a few of your favorite dishes beforehand and see which ones would be the better choices for you. (And check... the restaurant you're going to may have an online nutrition guide.)

Good luck!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to a cheat day :) I tried once to count the calories and it was depressing.

I do however find one place that had steamed chicken and veggies with brown sauce that was good and not to bad for you.
  • skirtlongjacket
    skirtlongjacket Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There is usually a soup section and a cold salad bar section at a Chinese buffet. I'd go for that! Go for non-breaded lean proteins and veggies when you can and gauge how oily the sauce looks. Don't bother with the empty carbs like rice or noodles. Sodium seems like it would be impossible to manage there because of all the sauces, so drink a few glasses of water while you're there to cancel that out. And since you're in control of the portion, you CAN have just a bite of your favorite guilty pleasure, yum!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ask for MSG free, and that will knock out most of the sodium content. Beyond that, just use portion control. Chinese food is generally not calorie intensive in normal portions. Some of it, like Springfield Cashew Chicken and spring rolls, are breaded and deep fried, but most stuff is stir-fried and full of veggies. Watch that you don't eat too much rice though.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Start with a salad and have a good time :bigsmile:
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a buffet, Golden Corral, and tried a new strategy. First, I got a bunch of steamed veggies, then I had a spinach salad. After that I allowed myself to indulge in bad things. I had a few bites and I was stuffed and satisfied.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i usually hit the salad first then royally pi*s them off by picking the broccoli out of the chicken or steak and broccoli pans

Not to mention the other customers at the buffet! :laugh:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    uuum...steamed everything. that's the only way. I would say have a free day if you haven't had one in while.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    1. Eat a sensible dinner at home before you go out. Focus heavily on fresh vegetables and good clean protein. That way, you'll hit the buffet already satisfied.

2. Eat whatever you want, in very small portions Get your plates from the dessert section (smaller plates) and just enjoy a piece or two of this, a dab of that, etc. A little soup, whatever fresh veggies they might have (or whatever they have that's lowest in sauces), etc. Nibble. Savor. Spend more time talking and listening than you do eating.

3. Drink water like you're about to cross the Sahara unsupported.

4. You are NOT there to get your money's worth out of the buffet, you are there to enjoy some time with friends. Enjoy the food that goes along with it. In small amounts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't that hard if you limit your trips and stick mostly to soups and veggies. But you are probably out of luck with the sodium.