Eating Healthy on a Budget

Options
nolachick
nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
Just got finished reading this article and one of the suggestions was to count on every meal as being atleast two.

For Example:
Roast a chicken for dinner one night, use leftover for chicken chilli the next night and simmer the bones with some vegetables to make soup. :glasses:

Any more ideas like these where you can recycle left overs to turn into a new dish???
(It gets boring eating the same thing the whole week and its expensive buying a lot of ingredients to make a new meal everyday of the week)

Would love to hear everyones tips and ideas! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Great tip! Keep 'em coming.
  • PinkDog
    PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Gang -- I make HUGE quantities of one-pot meals like, chili, quinoa casserole, chickpea salad, pasta and meat sauce, etc... and I put them in 1 serving measured out foil containers (from dollar store) and freeze them.

It is like having your own frozen dinners without the 1. additives, 2. high cost of frozen entrees.

I usually clear about 1 full Sunday a month to do it, and enlist my hubby our cousin to help me.

---Pink
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    I'm a big cookbook/online recipe person, so when I've really got it together, I try to find 2 or 3 recipes I can make using more or less the same ingredients. This is great because it means you don't have to buy 1000 different items (maybe 4 or 5 core ingredients plus one or two things extra for each recipe) and you don't buy healthy foods and let half of them go bad in the fridge.

For example, I will plan one week to make burritos, taco salads, and tortilla pizzas. That way I use the tortillas for the pizzas and burritos, I can use the cheese and ground turkey in all three (or just the burritos and taco salads if I decide to use the taco seasoning in the whole pack of turkey), and then I'll use the rest of the ingredients where I feel like it (like lettuce, tomato, onion, olives, salsa, sour cream). The only ingredient I would use in only one recipe would be spaghetti sauce for the pizzas.

This also works well for the trio of baked chicken (or chicken parmesan), casserole, and soup where you use chicken in all three and find recipes that use similar veggies in the casserole and soup. Also, thin sliced beef works well for fajitas, sandwich wraps (like Philly cheese steaks), and stir fry.
  • nolachick
    Options
    thnx ali & pinkdog that sounds good, except that I may get carried away with the shredded cheese, salsa, etc. lol

keep em coming guys
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi Gang -- I make HUGE quantities of one-pot meals like, chili, quinoa casserole, chickpea salad, pasta and meat sauce, etc... and I put them in 1 serving measured out foil containers (from dollar store) and freeze them.

It is like having your own frozen dinners without the 1. additives, 2. high cost of frozen entrees.

I usually clear about 1 full Sunday a month to do it, and enlist my hubby our cousin to help me.

---Pink

When I was really cutting Calories and in the initial phase of my weight loss program, (and scrupulously measuring out everything I ate), I was amazed at how much I had left over. Meals that my wife used to consume totally, now had 2, 3 or more meals of leftovers. There were some days when I could hardly close the fridge because of all the little plastic containers :laugh:

One day a week was just a la carte leftover night.

I reduced the size of the meals, but still follow your basic plan. The other thing is that the leftovers are usually what my wife takes to work the next day for lunch.

For a bigger batch (like chili), I'll put 1/2 in the fridge and freeze the rest to take out in a couple of weeks so it doesn't get too boring. We don't have enough freezer space to freeze it all.

I also have a basic "palette" of veggies and grains that I use for various dishes and salads, but that I can make into a bunch of different meals. So I can often buy pretty much the same thing at the grocery store every week and still crank out the variety. We are constrained a little bit by the fact that I have been out of work for a year, so I can't get nearly as creative as I would like.

On the other hand, since I took over the cooking, we are not only eating better, but I have reduced our grocery budget by over 35%.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am constantly revamping our leftovers into other meals.

I love when turkeys, oven roasters or hams are on sale, because then you can cook them and use up the leftovers for a few days and freeze the rest and take it out when needed.

Whatever meat we have leftover (and even with some veggies) I put in my chopper and then use that to make quesadillas with the next day. Put it between a tortilla add a little red. fat cheese and lite sour cream and put it on a flat grill. It makes a great lunch
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of bulk shopping. For example, when boneless skinless chicken breasts go on sale, I'll buy a couple of the family packs, take them home, and then freeze them in quantities that will do one meal.

I always have my pantry stocked with the basics... stock, lentils, beans, etc. That way you can buy that stuff on sale and you can always throw together a meal in a pinch instead of running to the store and spending extra or grabbing take out somewhere.

I use a lot of beans and legumes. They're cheap, they're filling, and they're good for you. I normally cook 2 meatless meals a week, and will use beans to bulk up meat dishes.

I also do what PinkDog does, every Sunday I will make a pot of chili or soup or whatever and after our meal we portion it out for frozen lunches we can grab in a pinch.
  • nolachick
    Options
    Great ideas guys~
  • kpilgrim
    Options
    I always have leftover meat and vegetables so I put them in a freezer bag and keep adding until I have enough to add beef or chicken broth, tomatoes and BAM! You have delicious hearty homemade soup! We also have leftover northern beans, field peas, etc. and those are good in the soup too! I call it "Stone Soup", like the story from 2nd grade where she cooked a stone and everyone added something to it-vegetables, etc. until it was actually soup. My family LOVES our stone soup and it's never the same!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Another thing I find really helpful is to have a meal plan. Some people think it's too much work, but it not only helps with the budget, it also helps with staying on track calorie wise. It cuts down on browsing at the grocery store.
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Has anyone watched Sandra Lee's new show, Meals on a Budget (or some such name)? She will make a low cal meal, but does talk about then making something else w/left overs so you are not eating the same thing everyday. She also puts in there how much it will cost for each serving of everything in the meal. I am hoping she does a new cookbook like this. There is also a show on Food Network on making $10 meals for a family of 4 I think.
  • TraceySmiles4U
    Options
    Definitely looking for tips and ideas as this is the part of my diet I have the most trouble with. Since I have 3 boys and a hubby that don't participate in my diet, I have a hard time shopping and saving money for their meals and my meals. To save money I usually just wind up eating a small portion of what I cooked them for the night which is not always good, because they like pizza, burritos, hamburgers and stuff like that...so even a small portion may end up having a lot of calories.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    there are some very good tips in here! I agree with catherine1979 whole-heartedly.

I buy my meat in bulk when it is on sale. Right after I get home from the store I take the meat and split it up into Qt. size freezer bags. I almost ALWAYS eat leftovers from a previous meal. I always cook enough to have left overs, so I will purposely make a little extra.

I always keep fresh veggies on hand. Red Potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, asparagus, onions, etc... I use them as sides or "fillers" in my meals.

I always have whole wheat pasta, brown rice, low sodium Campbells soups on hand. I can come up with so many meals!

Some of my favorite dinner meals include:

some sort of meat (salmon, chicken, pork chop, tilipia, lean beef) with seasonings, with a baked potato & steamed veggies w/ a little touch of parmesan.

whole wheat pasta with light ragu sauce, corn & salad (or other veggies)

whole grain brown rice with stir fry steamed veggies, diced pork chops/chicken or shrimp

whole wheat tortilla with ragu sauce & small amt of cheese on top

I'm always a fan of a quick grilled ham&cheese sandwich. (whole wheat bread, small slice ham & 1/2 ounce cheese)

.....I could probably go on and on with meals I've come up with.... but these are just some that are CHEAP, healthy, and quick. And when I'm working over 40 hours a week and involved with volunteer obligations AND spending time with my hubby...these quick meals save me!
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    OK...this is totally when I wasn't counting calories but I'm hoping to revamp it so I can still use it!! I buy a brisket and the first day I cook in the oven for about 1 hour at 350 then turn down to 250 for about 8 hours and it's usually very tender...so we slice it and eat with something like potatoes and baked beans....then the next night I take the leftovers and chop in my food processor and heat it with some BBQ sauce and make sandwiches....like I said I hope to make this more health conscious like I just found some bread that's only 40 calories.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When cooking a big meal, make extra to freeze, or use later in the week for lunches or quick suppers. Double recipes, then freeze half.

Save your vegetable trimmings to make your own vegetable stock. Not only do you save money, but vegetable stock also makes a nutritious base for casseroles, soups, and Crockpot cooking.

Buying in bulk is almost always cheaper; you can freeze perishable items (such as meat, milk, and even bread) in smaller portions to use as needed. It’s always a good idea to buy non-perishable items in bulk (canned foods, dried beans and grains, etc.).

Use less expensive cuts of meat for casseroles that you slow cook; add extra vegetables and beans to make the meal go further.

Capitalize on one-pot dishes, which generally save prep time, money, and dishwashing, and often make great leftovers.

Look high and low (literally) to find the less expensive generic or store brands on grocery shelves, often very similar to higher-priced brand names though packaged under different labels.

Take advantage of specials on staples—broth, soups, pasta, rice, canned veggies, even bread and meat. Many of these items have a long shelf life or can be frozen for short periods of time.

Limit your dining out, especially when it comes to fast food, since you’ll find yourself spending unnecessarily on items that are high in fat, salt, and calories, which short-change you in the nutrition department.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    5 Years ago I decided I wanted to build a house so my husband said he needed to save all the money we could. So I started budgeting and I got more than just money in the bank, I learned to eat healthier and save money at the same time. ( Yep, We FINALLY built that house...moved in on May 11, 2008) This is what I learned....Plan out your meals for the week or even 2 based on what is on sale that week at the grocery store. This method has saved me so much money. I made a budget ( $300.00 every 2 weeks, we started at $400.00 and we lowered it to save more money and it works) for my husband and I to "live" off of (including grocery, dining out, co-pays for office visits, birthday gifts, fun things etc...that does not include our gas for both vehicles and our routine bills..house payment, insurance, etc) that is replenished every 2 weeks. I make a menu for the week for us that last for 2 weeks. That includes our dining out. We dine out usually every Wednesday and Sunday ( routinely twice a week) I also make a large meal on Friday and Saturdays and I always make enough for several lunches. During the week I make dinner simple ( wraps, soups in crock pot, grilled salmon) but I also make enough for use to have for lunch the next day or for dinner. It took some time, It was frustrating at first but now that I see I can save so much money and eat healthy on a budget, It is amazing.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later