Protein powder .....

Options
Do you have to workout in order to make a protein shake? I have the p90x results and recovery formula and after I do an insanity dvd or zumba dvd I drink some. I have been wanting to do a protein shake in the mornings hoping that it will keep me full until lunch but not sure if it will hinder me b/c I don't workout 6x a week or lift any weights. Would it hurt me more so than help me I guess is what I'm trying to ask and is it ok to drink if i'm not working out that day or should it only be used to drink if I plan on working out?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was making hemp protein smoothies with yogurt and fruit back when I was still a couch potato. I don't think the protein police will come after you. :tongue:

Seriously, if you want it, and it fits into your overall diet, then why couldn't you?
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Do you have to workout in order to make a protein shake? I have the p90x results and recovery formula and after I do an insanity dvd or zumba dvd I drink some. I have been wanting to do a protein shake in the mornings hoping that it will keep me full until lunch but not sure if it will hinder me b/c I don't workout 6x a week or lift any weights. Would it hurt me more so than help me I guess is what I'm trying to ask and is it ok to drink if i'm not working out that day or should it only be used to drink if I plan on working out?

Sure its okay. Nothing wrong with keeping your protein high on all days. The more calories you get from protein, the less you get from carbs or fat, and will satiate you more.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't "work out", get some exercise occasionally, and I use high quality whey protein regularly. MFP has the protein level set pretty low, and in my opinion, my body needs much more. The quality of your whey protein is important. I am just finishing up Whey Gourmet Naturelle (which is ok) and am switching to Dr. Mercola whey protein that is from grass-fed cows. I'll be mixing the unflavoured (32g protein) with flavoured (17g protein).
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Sure its okay. Nothing wrong with keeping your protein high on all days. The more calories you get from protein, the less you get from carbs or fat, and will satiate you more.

Awesome this is what I was thinking. I need something to sustain me from carbs and sweets. I typically "crash" around 3pm and head over to find stuff to snack on and its nothing thats good. Chocolate, ice cream that sort of stuff and I know I have to ditch all that in order to lose these last 10lbs.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    a protein shake is a perfectly acceptable meal replacement for a large snack. i use them all the time when i'm hungry but cant really stop to eat at work (starbucks)
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Protein powder Is made of protein, but it is heavily processed. You could eat more complete natural protein instead, such as some smoked salmon or chicken breast. Also quality varies in protein powders, bars and shakes. Many have additives, fillers and are cheap sources of incomplete amino acid balance. Therefore it depends. But the best quality you can. They are very useful but in preference I use a protein shot (100%) when exercising. As it takes 2hrs to metabolise protein this is a quicker route and i take it before exercise. I also use unflavoured whey and egg white mixed to make a breakfast omlette pancake.

It fills me up for long periods. You'll see from my log I use these for breakfast as I find it it is easier to exercise immediately after.

Quality protein powder is useful but its still processed so I use it in moderation. With complex carbs and berries (fresh or frozen) makes a great breakfast bar.

I use it to make ice cream, breakfast bars and the plain kind to thicken soups, sauces and gravies.

I add a spoon to my breakfast cereals.

Jasmin
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Egg whites would be a better alternative, just scramble them or use egg whites instead of water with the protein powder, it tastes so much better. Protein is great I drink a cup of eggwhites in the morning and eat some oats and i'm full til about my 2nd meal which is about 3-4 hours later. just remember small proportions and eat more than 3 times a day.
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Egg whites would be a better alternative, just scramble them or use egg whites instead of water with the protein powder, it tastes so much better. Protein is great I drink a cup of eggwhites in the morning and eat some oats and i'm full til about my 2nd meal which is about 3-4 hours later. just remember small proportions and eat more than 3 times a day.

I def eat more than 3 times a day. I think thats my whole issue. I tend to over snack especially after lunch time. Egg whites/eggs upset my tummy really bad so I was hoping to steer clear of them if I could help it.
  • daniel1hp
    Options
    All it is is calories. It doesn't matter if the calories are coming from protein or carbs, you will gain the same amount of fat drinking that protein shake as you will from eating 3 rice krispie treats (if they are both like 300 cals)