Net Calories

Options
I'm having trouble getting my net calories UP on an workout day. MFP has my calories set to 1870 and I can do about 1600 on an nonworkout day. I usually burn about 600calories during an exercise and most of the time I'm really not that hungry but I know I need to eat in order to keep my body from shutting down. Any advice? I will take whatever I can get. Thanks!

Replies

• wedge421
    wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The exercise will keep your metabolism going. I wouldn't worry about eating to few of calories those days. It takes a few days in a row of being extremely under calories for your body to kick into starvation mode.
  • tmoore_20
    tmoore_20 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump, I want to know the same thing too!
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit and it logs all my movement and counts my burn. It encourages me to move more on rest days without the stress of extensive exercise. Raised my overall activity and was able to up my total daily value. Intended to up my sedentary activity to light and light to moderate. You can do this by getting a step counter (very cheap) and using stairs rather than lifts. On exercise days are you confusing BMR with other Calorie measures which include exercise? Add your exercise calories to your BMR to get one measure of calorie allowance on exercise days, which is net calories. You can be consuming calories above or below but in the longer term be spot on cumulatively over a week. The body does not say its midnight lets start again.- yesterdays net was over/under. A day or so of enforced fasting because of illness wouldn't destroy years of work. If you have more rest days then overall you could burn more calories cumulatively by upping general activity on those days. Exercise days are important for intensity, muscle usage, aerobic conditioning etc and I can see you know this. But rest days and general activity are important too.

I don't believe in starvation mode at all but eating long term below BMR is not a good idea as when essential amino acids are reduced there are negative effects on muscle growth and repair. I think I would say move more on rest days and eat more evenly across the days. It iis the overall effect on the body over time that I think is important.
    I think of it as a longer term overall pattern- a journey with a trend.

Jasmin
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Steer clear of low-fat/non-fat/no-sugar-added/non-foods. Eat real food and if you're still having a hard time, add nuts, seeds, cheeses, avocado and more healthy oils - flax, coconut etc. Voila! Calorie target achieved.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine not to eat back your exercise calories. I rarely eat mine back and I am loosing on average 1.8 lbs per week.
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    Steer clear of low-fat/non-fat/no-sugar-added/non-foods. Eat real food and if you're still having a hard time, add nuts, seeds, cheeses, avocado and more healthy oils - flax, coconut etc. Voila! Calorie target achieved.

I just now started to add in more fruits and veggies as my snacks instead of eating a protein bar all the time. I hardly use healthy oils, maybe I need to find a way to add that in once in a while. Cheese is my favorite!! Thanks for all the good advice :)