Can you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Options
I'm looking to lose about 10 more lbs. I started ChaLean Extreme yesterday. I've heard that you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit. I've seen impressive transformations with programs like CE and P90X. How are these people changing their bodies so much if you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit? I'm honestly not trying to sound rude. :) I'm still a noob in the fitness world on some things and would like for someone to explain this to me.

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    i bet you can
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Most people who lose weight gain muscle along the way. I think it's 100% possible. Just make sure you're getting enough food.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    yep so long as your eating and exercising right
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you are a begginer to strength training it is very possible if you keep your protien level high, around 1g per lean body weight in lbs. However if you are already into strenght training it is nearly impossible to gain muscle and lose fat.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    You can make minor gains but for the most part your body just doesn't biologically work that way - it isn't going to break into its reserves and build new tissues in a deficit, why would it? The awesome transformations you see are the muscles that are already there becoming nice and defined because the layer of fat on top of them goes away.

Edit: Reading responses, it's worth noting that making strength gains doesn't necessarily mean muscle gains.
  • wayned22
    wayned22 Posts: 10
    Options
    You obviously cannot do an even trade (muscle gained/fat lost) but with the proper macros it can be done slowly. Proper diet and the proper lfiting/sets/weight for your body will yield the results you are looking for. As far as P90X goes and the "before and afters", remember quite a few of those "befores" have a good amount of muscle already built and are simply "cutting" with P90X. The average guy will not look like the models after doing it, even though the results can be impressive. Every "miracle program" out there recruits "bulked up" fitness models and bodybuilders that are simply cutting to reveal their already built muscle underneath.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You can't build at a deficit....

However you can maintain and losing the extra fat and adding some volume to the muscle will definitely help...

Again, check out the forums for body building and ask them about losing weight whilst building and how effective that is... See the replies you will get. This place is the wrong place to ask as everyone says you sure can build muscle because they lost and have muscle still... Well what about the fact they had muscle before, and maintaining or slightly adding definition actually helped and they didn't in fact build that much... Lets be honest here...

Even while eating at an increased calorie intake it is HARD HARD HARD to even put on 5-10 pounds of muscle... So at a deficit which your body will also need to function and can't jump your body full of protein, amino acids hormones etc which are present in excess in excessive calorie intakes, do you honestly think your going to build that much if at all?... Be honest here...
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • askinnybanana13
    Options
    yes! muscle building burns fat where as cardio exercises burn calories. The two work hand and hand.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    yep I did!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It generally can't be done, but it can happen in overweight beginners, because of a combination of insulin resistance and the relatively rapid muscle building and improved nutrient partitioning that comes with being new to strength training.
  • wayned22
    Options
    YES, you can gain muscle and lose fat and here’s how:

1.Constant influx of protein. 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day taken 5-6 equal portions spaced evenly through out the day – otherwise your nuclear power plant will have to turn on between meals and burn muscle, you don’t want that.
    2.Consume enough calories to keep your body from thinking its starving but not so many calories that you gain fat, 10% under your TDEE is a good value to use. My calorie calculator will tell you exactly what that is for your type metabolism. Make sure to set your goal in step 6 to “10% calorie reduction”
    3.Proper nutrition, make every calorie count!1.eat unprocessed or minimally processed foods
    2.eat lots of fresh vegetables
    3.eat less than 30% of your calories from fat and eat only good fats like olives, nuts, and avocados
    4.eat whole grains and low G.I. carbs – no simple carbs like sugar, alcohol, or white flour
    5.eat omega-IIIs daily, flax or salmon are great sources

4.Hardcore, consistent weight workouts. You can use my custom workout plan generator to design a workout plan appropriate for you.
    5.Daily cardio, 30-40min. Cardio will not burn muscle, it will help you gain muscle while losing fat at the same time.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It absolutely can be done
  • wayned22
    Options
    Sory, found this on "Scooby's workshop" been living by it for three months, have lost almost 30 pounds, bicep, quad, shoulder measurements are all increased and all compound exercise movements (squat, etc) are all way up.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Three resources that talk about this are: Scooby's Workshop, Tom Venuto, and Stronglifts. There may be more. These are the three I have seen. A lot of other programs utilize similar methods, they just don't explain it quite as well. Being a weight lifting novice is also a plus, so enjoy and take advantage of that (I sure am).

I'm not eating at a deficit, though. I am eating at what is either maintenance or a small surplus. Also it can be confusing because people don't always explain the concept of eating at a surplus very well or what that even means (since it is different per person). Also when people say you gain fat along with muscle that can mean a barely perceptible amount of fat. I also found some good info from Mark Lauren. I'm still learning.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Yep.

Following 5-6 day/week Crossfit programming, I have lost 15 lbs, 8% BF, and all of my lifts (Clean, Squat, Shoulder Press, Clean and Jerk, Snatch, Deadlift) have all increased by at least 40 lbs each, 120 lbs for the deadlift.

Chris
  • Montanarush
    Options
    If you are doing resistance training, you will gain muscle, and muscle burns fat faster. So, yes!! One thing though, take measurements because you will lose size but your actual weight loss may slow down. I'm going through that very thing right now!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't necessarily eat at a deficit, maybe a 100-200 a day. Some days I'm below maintenance, some days I'm over, but I've lost 12 inches, 8% body fat, five pounds of actual weight, and I've doubled my weights when lifting over the last 7 months. I know being a newbie helps :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Some can.. good on you for asking. :smile: