Confusion about being under calorie goal

Options
After reading around a bit I am throughly confused on whether coming in under your calorie goal is a good or a bad thing????!!!!! Help!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You always want to average at or around your net calorie goal, but you don't want to be so far under that you're not getting enough nutrients or enough energy.

Many people argue you should never eat fewer than 1200 calories long term.

It isn't that complicated, don't let it throw you.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There is no need to try to be under your (net) calorie goal - aim to have 0 cals left at the end of the day, but a bit under or over is not an issue.
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually end up being under calorie goal if I have exercised. So it can be a good thing.
    Unless you go below 1200 - then you could be hurting yourself.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I think, and may very well be wrong, you want to make sure your net calories are always at least 1200..
  • ReddV1981
    ReddV1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation
  • _Mary_L
    _Mary_L Posts: 18
    Options
    ok... I must start by saying I'm no trainer or anything like that... but I do stay under 1000 calories every day (even when I work out and it says I have over 2000 calories for the day). I do take vitamins: Alive for Women and I have lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks...
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You need to eat more than your BMR - the amount of calories you body needs to stay alive - and you TDEE - the number of calories you burn in a day. If you are in the middle of that range you will loose. If you are too low you will stall your weight loss.

The link shows you how to figure out where your sweet spot is calories wise - check it out!
  • KWNurse
    KWNurse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If I'm under my net cal I usually eat a little more if I think everything is accurate, otherwise I stay under a little to account for variance.
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Friend, When I saw your question, I just had to reply. I will be 65 soon and I've spent my whole life dieting. I always laugh and say I've lost 300 pounds, but actually it's the same 10 pounds 30 times! When I started myfitnesspal recently, I was under calories every day and I thought that was great, but then I got a message telling me to at least eat the minimum calories specified in my plan because otherwise my body will go into starvation mode. I'd heard about it before, but I never really understood. Now I understand big time! My goal is to eat the suggested calories every day, maybe even a few more to take it off and KEEP it off.

Congrats to you on your nursing studies. You will be a great example!

Eat your calories, exercise to keep things firmed up, and drink water. Most people don't like to drink water, but it's essential to flushing out your system.

Let me know how you're doing. I care.

And one last little piece of advice. I peeked at your page. Your husband will look at you lovingly if you look at yourself lovingly. From now on, whenever you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, make a big smile and say, "mrssamjones, you are looking great today!", or "mrssamjones, I love you!" I promise you will be amazed at the results. If you think you can't do it, just try it for me, okay? When you build up your confidence, you will walk into a public bathroom and blow yourself a kiss in the mirror -- and all those women will say, "I'll have whatever she's having!"
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    There is no need to try to be under your (net) calorie goal - aim to have 0 cals left at the end of the day, but a bit under or over is not an issue.

Yep
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi Friend, When I saw your question, I just had to reply. I will be 65 soon and I've spent my whole life dieting. I always laugh and say I've lost 300 pounds, but actually it's the same 10 pounds 30 times! When I started myfitnesspal recently, I was under calories every day and I thought that was great, but then I got a message telling me to at least eat the minimum calories specified in my plan because otherwise my body will go into starvation mode. I'd heard about it before, but I never really understood. Now I understand big time! My goal is to eat the suggested calories every day, maybe even a few more to take it off and KEEP it off.

Congrats to you on your nursing studies. You will be a great example!

Eat your calories, exercise to keep things firmed up, and drink water. Most people don't like to drink water, but it's essential to flushing out your system.

Let me know how you're doing. I care.

And one last little piece of advice. I peeked at your page. Your husband will look at you lovingly if you look at yourself lovingly. From now on, whenever you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, make a big smile and say, "mrssamjones, you are looking great today!", or "mrssamjones, I love you!" I promise you will be amazed at the results. If you think you can't do it, just try it for me, okay? When you build up your confidence, you will walk into a public bathroom and blow yourself a kiss in the mirror -- and all those women will say, "I'll have whatever she's having!"

+1
  • mrsamjones
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification everyone. @ CoachJude4Eve thanks for the words of encouragement.