any thoughts on home made fruit smoothies?

Options
I wanna go by a blender and incorp. more fruits to my diet,will use skim milk,or almond or soy,any good recipes?? ,...or is this not a good idea?

Replies

• Brent_J
    Brent_J Posts: 54
    Options
    It's a great idea. I bought a Blendtec blender and I have a green smoothie about once per day.

Usually, spinich, banana, and some other fruit. Milk if I'm hungry and need calories, water if I'm trying to be healthy. I'm going to buy almond milk this week and try it out as well.

Lots of fruit will mess up your sugar numbers, but it is healthy fruit and healthy sugars, so I ignore it.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I make fruit smoothies with frozen spinach mixed in! I use almond milk and rice protein powder. I don't know if its a good idea or not, but I find them tasty and easy to drink on the bus.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love home made smoothies. Here's my favourite recipe:

1 scoop vanilla flavoured protein powder (get a good brand some vanilla flavours are better than others)
    50g frozen mango
    50g frozen strawberry
    50g frozen guava
    100g milk/yoghurt/laban - use low fat varieties if you prefer (whatever fits in with your goals/macros)

blend

I have this as my post workout meal, and it tastes like ice cream. (i eat it out of a bowl with a spoon rather than drinking it) It's high in sugar (albeit natural sugar from fruits) so if you have a reason to avoid sugar then you might prefer to use a different recipe that has less fruit in it, you can get various "green" smoothies that are more veggie based.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I've been doing this as ameal replacement every day with some vanilla protein powder I bought from GNC. Good recipes:

5 raspberries
    10 blueberries
    2 large strawberries
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional of course)
    1 cup ice

Blend.

Doing just strawberries and bananas with the protein and almond is good too.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothie recipe:

10 medium-large frozen strawberries
    4 ounces unsweetened cranberry juice
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    stevia to taste

Put cranberry juice in blender, add protein powder. Mix well. Add berries one at a time. Blend after each one. (Usually on a low speed and then up it.) If you add them all at once they will stick together and clump. Add stevia to taste.

I also throw in frozen blueberries with the strawberries. YUM!

By using frozen strawberries it makes it like a milkshake. I tried fresh and wasn't impressed. No milk so lower calories!
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are great. Sometime within the last week someone posted seeking advice for the best blender. You may want to search for that post.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea! I use 1 cup almond milk, a scoop of protein powder, 1/4 cup of instant oats (adds a little bit of bulk and you can't taste it), and whatever fruit I have in the fridge - fresh or frozen. If I'm using fresh, I add ice cubes to make it cold. Awesome.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

I love my smoothies!

But, go for Almond milk over soy and if you decide to add any whey style protein. Look for versions that do not include soy.

I like bananas, strawberries, greek yogurt, almond milk as a recovery smoothie.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    Omg! I just found an old smoothie blender in the back of my cabinet that I didn't even know I had, and I've made 3 kinds of smoothies so far. I'd be more than happy to tell you how I made them. Now before I tell you, just keep in mind that I am obsessed with Strawberry Banana smoothies of any kind. :laugh:

Okay, my first smoothie I call the Strawberry-Banana Gogurt smoothie:

1 cup of 0% fat free milk
    1 medium sized Banana
    4 strawberries
    1 stick of low fat strawberry-banana gogurt

All together 228 calories, 50 carbs, 1 gram of fat, and 7 grams of protein

And that's it. Just blend those together to get your smoothie. You can also throw some ice in there if you want a frozen smoothie.

My second smoothie I call the Strawberry-Banana Cream Smoothie:

1 cup 0% milk
    1 medium sized banana
    3 strawberries
    1 container of Yoplait Light Banana cream pie flavored yogurt

The third I call the Strawberry-Banana Lemon Cream Smoothie

It has all the same ingredients as the Banana Cream smoothie except you use Yoplait Light Lemon Cream Pie flavored yogurt.

The Banana cream and Lemon cream smoothies both have 288 calories, 59 carbs, no fat, and 14 grams of protein.

I haven't been able to afford it yet, but I've been wanting to buy some powdered protein to add to these. I would suggest doing that and make you a protein smoothie. :drinker:
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup each of frozen strawberries, frozen raspberries, and frozen blueberries (makes a thicker smoothie)
    1 - 1 1/4 cup light vanilla soy milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder, or cookies & cream protein powder
    2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal

I let the fruit defrost a bit before mixing, combine all ingredients & blend.
    (I use an immersion blender)
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good advice and recipes. Watch the sugar in your fruits!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My personal recipe:

1 banana
    1/2 cup raspberries
    1/2 cup blackberries
    1 cup blueberries
    1 T Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter
    Ice

I don't use milk, juice or yogurt, but there really is no wrong way to make a smoothie. It's all in what you like.
    Watch the sugar in your fruits!

Stop.It.
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I LOVE homemade smoothies!
    Here's my recipe:

Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
    1 serving of light vanilla yogurt
    1 banana
    1 cup of mixed berries
    Ice

Put the ice in the bottom of the blender, squeeze the 1/2 lemon over it, add the fruit and yogurt, and blend.

It's delicious, and low calorie.
  • Bug207
    Bug207 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well everyone else's sound a lot healthier than mine, but I'll share my recipe anyway:

1 cup Minute Maid Light 15 Lemonade
    1 6oz cup of Chobani non fat plain yogurt
    50-60g fresh pineapple
    50-60g fresh strawberries

I toss that all in the blender, let it go for a little bit, and then add in a handful of ice cubes and select the ice crush setting on my blender. It ends up being pretty huge with around 155 calories, 16g sugar, and 18g of protein depending of course on how much fruit you choose to put in.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome idea! The recipes are endless and are as healthy as you make them. We make smoothies with frozen berries, bananas, plain greek yogurt and skim milk. One of my faves is adding the 25 calorie diet swiss miss cocoa mix to it.. it tastes just like a banana split. :) Sometimes we add protein powder, cocoa and flax seed. Buy fruit in bulk and freeze it on cookie sheets then toss it in ziploc bags. Even bananas, if they get overripe, they are awesome as they add sweetness and flavor. I just peel them, wrap in plastic wrap and toss in the freezer. It's easier to make the smoothies tho if you cut them in chunks first. We also use mango, peaches nectarines, black sweet cherries, blueberries, raspberries and pineapple. Just about any fruit will do. Some people even put spinach in them but I prefer to just eat that in a salad. :)
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen berries on hand for this very purpose! :)

For more protein and thickness, you can add yogurt.

Today I made one with yogurt, fresh blueberries and strawberries, and a bit of happy planet juice that I had left over.

You can also add ice. If I have bananas on hand, those go in too.

And I have been known to add some All Bran Buds once in awhile if I want more fibre.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much,will def be buying a blender today,fruit,prtien powder,flaxseed,..and yogurt!! or almond milk,..heck any 'ol crazy thing i come up with THANX!:laugh:
  • dsimpson112
    Options
    If you are looking for something really yummy and DIFFERENT! Try this for late night chocolate cravings...I use it when I'm about to drive to the store for peppermint patties

1 cup Skim milk (or whatever milk you drink...almond, rice etc.)
    1 cup ice
    1 scoop CHOCOLATE protein powder
    1 tsp MINT extract
    1 packet of splenda or whatever sugar substitute you choose

Baking extracts open up a whole new world with the blender and protein powder! LOVE IT!
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I am very excited because I have broken 3 of my parents blenders when I was younger from making SO MANY SMOOTHIES! and should have a brand new at my house waiting for me (Thanks to the BF). Soy, milk, water, yogurt, almond, coconut. Anything is good. You may need to try a few different recipes.
    *have you heard of the Green Monster Smoothie? http://iowagirleats.com/2012/01/04/my-top-secret-diet-weapon/ It's good (I like to try different flavors of yogurt or adding berries as well. :smile:

I also found this: 7 detox smoothies - also explains what each of them does for your body. http://girlgetstrong.com/2011/10/10/7-detox-smoothies-with-added-health-detox-benefits/

Smoothies are AWESOME! :drinker:

I also drink Shakeology, so when it comes to chocolate protein powder, I might be able to incorporate some of the Chocolate recipes. http://www.decidetostayfit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/shakeology-recipes.pdf

Enjoy and drink up! :drinker:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I love just mixing frozen fruit and milk. So good.