any thoughts on home made fruit smoothies?

Options

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    great idea, even maybe add some good vitamin enriched protien powder for a complete benefit!
  • huskergramma
    Options
    I have made banana smoothies using one banana, 1c. skim milk, 1 packet splenda and about 6 ice cubes. Great treat and I am sure you can experiment with different fruit and other additions.
  • TMF1123
    TMF1123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    these all sound great, i if i have bananas that turn brown i peel them, slice in half and put them in the freezer for smooties.

my current favorite is:
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup frozen mango
    1/2 cup frozen dark cherries
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    tablespoon hershey's cocoa powder
    dash of vanilla
    sweetner of choice
    ice..

blend... Yum E.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    be careful of all the sugar in the fruit. the carbs add up fast.
    add some veggies to bulk it up too =]
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love my fruit smoothie in the mornings. 1-2 cups of your favorite berries 1 scoop whey protein 1 cup of water blend well. You can blend a few ice cubes into it to get it frothy.
  • HeatherAngel444
    HeatherAngel444 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Favorite 104 calorie Smoothie - FILLS UP THE WHOLE BLENDER!
    I save it for before bed when I'm still hungry and want to cheat.
    It's so HUGE it will kill all hunger for such LOW CALORIES.

6 frozen strawberries - 24 calories
    1/3 C. dry non-fat milk - 80 calories (suppose you could just use 1 C. milk with no water).
    1 1/2 C. water
    1 tray of ice cubes (I put them in a plastic bag and smash with hammer first - easier on the blender).
    1/2 eye droper of stevia (or artificial sweetner of choice)

Blend.
  • scowil03xx
    scowil03xx Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My wife bought one of those "Ninja" blenders and it works great. My smoothies are relatively straight forward. I use one serving of any "premium" (read "not cheap, unknown) vanilla flavored whey protein, one cup frozen fruit, and water to desired thickness. Tastes great, very low cal and great for running right out the door for a busy day.
  • llpleslie
    Options
    My smoothie is very simple.
    1 frozen banana cut up
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
    186 calories
    Very filling!
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Go with the ninja blender. It is by far the best blender ive ever used. Easy to clean. You will not be disappointed with this blender. Specially if u are pressed for time. Blends in about 5 seconds and no more shaking the blender or scraping the sides down to the blades.
  • bodybyjoe
    Options
    Green smoothies are fantastic and I love to make them with Spinach, Chard or Kale.

A word of warning: don't use the same green day after day, especially not Spinach. Why? There are substances in greens which are toxic when they build up (although they are very good for you in moderate quantities), presumably they are in the plants to keep a creature from eating all of a given plant. If you use a different green each day, your body can eliminate it.

Spinach has a chemical in it which binds with calcium, so women, especially, should not have it for days in a row. It is a great source of iron. Combine spinach with calcium so it has something to bind with.

If I want my drink sweeter, I add dates or frozen banana. Bananas also make them thicker.

I freeze bananas by peeling them (very important) and breaking them in half and placing them on a flat surface so they freeze. Once frozen, they can be stacked up.

Flax seed is good (Omega 3) and also thickens drinks.

Amazing Grass wheat grass is also convenient if you don't have time to wash your greens and want to make a quick drink.

I also confess to making coffee drinks :happy:

Green of the day
    frozen banana
    almond milk
    coffee
    lots of ice
  • HazelCaz
    HazelCaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies and made one myself this week, but I was shocked at how quickly the calories added up. I added 1 scoop Vanilla Whey protein powder, 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 banana, 3 strawberries, some fresh pineapple and a Tbsp of flax meal, 1/2 cup skim milk and some ice because I like them cold. It was about 450 calories-- A lot bigger than other breakfast choices I've made. Also WAY too much for just a snack in my scheme of things.
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    YES!
    Improved my life ten fold, I have benefited so much by giving my body exactly what it needs especially in the morning and after workouts or a strenuous day
    Typical Shake for me:
    1 scoop of Vega Sport protein powder ( high quality, more protein then all brands,plant based )
    1 scoop of body logix protein powder (almost as good ^^)
    1-2 bananas
    3/4 cup frozen berries
    1-3 Tblspoons of Hemp Hearts( 10grms of protein per serving plus it flushes undigested sugars and fats out, high in omegas)
    1-3 Tblspoons of Sprouted Chia Powder ( Ancient super food,high in protein and omega 3 fat )
    Handful of mixed nuts(for texture)
    1Tblspoon of peanutbutter (for taste)
    1 scoop of creatine powder(for cardio athletes)
    Pinch of niacin(get your blood flowing)
    1/2 Table spoon of Glutamate and Inositol (Brain food)
    Add half cup to 1 cup of soy/rice/almond milk for desired consistency.

Looking at 250-300 cals per serving
    over 50 grms of protein.
    I feel like Super Mario afterwards and it powers me up for my intense kettle-bell workouts,
    Made in my Ninja blender :D under 5 mins prep.
  • breanasharp
    Options
    I make smoothies at home too. It's a great, quick breakfast or "snack" too. I don't really use specific measurements anymore cause I'm always in a hurry but these are my ingredients: frozen strawberries, 1/4 of a banana, 2 tbs. of vanilla whey protein powder, a few "shakes" of flaxseed from the bag, two very large scoops of low-fat vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup of 1% milk, two ice cubes, and 2 tbs. of oats. It's pretty good!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I make lots of smoothies & have many recipes to post/share. I hesitate to do so because of a bad experience with some rude people on this forum... So I guess I'll make a bunch of disclaimers like I am not a nutritionist or dietician blah blah blah (I hate petty people). Ok? Now here are some tricks I learned:
    Use unsweetened almond milk. It is much lower in fat/calories & higher in calcium. Only like 35 calories.
    Use stevia if you need to sweeten more than what's in fruit. It has no calories, is natural, has fiber & won't raise blood sugar
    Use psyllium husks as an additive. They have very few calories, they are high in fiber, they have no real taste, & they will "thicken" the smoothie
    And, here's a really awesome trick - in most smoothies, especially those containing banana, you can add clumps of raw kale which is really good for you & you don't taste it. It will make it a bit green though.
    There are many things you can add to up the fiber & protein like oatbran or almond flour. I like to grind nuts in mine too such as strawberry banana walnut.
    Here's a sample of one of my recipes-
    1/2 of a pear & 1/2 of a golden delicious apple
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/4 cup oat bran
    1 tbs psyllium husks
    1/8 tsp stevia
    1 tsp cinnamon
    If you try it, please let me know what you think.
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something really yummy and DIFFERENT! Try this for late night chocolate cravings...I use it when I'm about to drive to the store for peppermint patties

1 cup Skim milk (or whatever milk you drink...almond, rice etc.)
    1 cup ice
    1 scoop CHOCOLATE protein powder
    1 tsp MINT extract
    1 packet of splenda or whatever sugar substitute you choose

Baking extracts open up a whole new world with the blender and protein powder! LOVE IT!

Excellent idea! I am trying this tonight!
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Use psyllium husks as an additive. They have very few calories, they are high in fiber, they have no real taste, & they will "thicken" the smoothie

What is this? I haven't heard of it before.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

the internet is a wonderful thing.

Psyllium seed husks also known as ispaghula, isabgol, or psyllium, are portions of the seeds of the plant Plantago ovata, (genus Plantago), a native of India. They are hygroscopic, expanding and become mucilaginous. Ayurveda recommends its use for colon cleansing/ bowel regulation as well as for better blood circulation.
    Psyllium seed husk are indigestible and are a source of soluble dietary fiber. They are used to relieve constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and diarrhea. They are also used as a regular dietary supplement to improve and maintain regular GI transit. The inert bulk of the husks helps provide a constant volume of solid material irrespective of other aspects of the diet or any disease condition of the gut. Some recent research is also showing them to be promising in lowering cholesterol and controlling diabetes.[1]
    Other uses include gluten-free baking, where ground psyllium seed husks bind moisture and help make the bread less crumbly.
    The husks are used whole in their natural state, or dried and chopped or powdered for easier consumption. In either of these forms, one takes them by mixing them with water or another fluid.
    Sometimes they are combined with clay as a detoxification drink.[2] Most commonly this clay is Bentonite Clay which is a volcanic clay which is claimed to have many detoxing properties.[3] The psyllium husks are also available in capsules. Over-the-counter laxatives and fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Colon Cleanse, Serutan, Fybogel, Bonvit, and Effersyllium have psyllium husks as their main ingredient.
    The husks may also be combined with other ingredients. For example, Blackstrap molasses is sometimes used with psyllium seed husks for its high mineral and vitamin content, as well as being an excellent carrier. A typical dose is one to three teaspoons per glass of water. Psyllium seeds can be used for the same purpose at a lower cost. The standard dose is 3.5gm dissolved in 250 ml of water.
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has established a tangible benefit of psyllium seed husk intake[4] and a decreased risk of coronary heart disease (CHD). Psyllium's soluble fiber thus has the potential to decrease the risk of CHD.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I LOVE smoothies! I add fruits and veggies to mine. http://www.benderfitness.com/2012/07/green-smoothie-she-hulk-style.html That is a recipe for one of my favorites. Sometimes I skip the kiwi and banana and substitute pear, but you get the general idea. :)
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't like fruit and vegetables too much but I do like fruity drinks. So, realizing that I need all the good stuff that comes with them and my stubbornness to just eat them I went and bought a blender and started making smoothies for breakfast. I haven't tried a lot of recipes yet but I seem to like this one, very tangy and thick.

1.5 cup Tropicana OJ
    1 cup broccoli
    1.5 cup kale
    1 cup baby carrots
    1 cup mixed frozen berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries)
    1/2 cup frozen mango

This makes enough to fill my blendercup and I snack on it for half the morning.
    Ignore those telling you the sugar will slow you down. This isn't refined sugar and the sugars you get from 1 smoothie a day really isn't going to send you over the top. The blender I bought is a "Ninja" 1000watt blender and it works really well.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options

the internet is a wonderful thing.

Psyllium seed husks also known as .... Ayurveda recommends its use for colon cleansing/ bowel regulation as well as for better blood circulation.
    Psyllium seed husk are indigestible and are a source of soluble dietary fiber. They are used to relieve constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and diarrhea. They are also used as a regular dietary supplement to improve and maintain regular GI transit. The inert bulk of the husks helps provide a constant volume of solid material irrespective of other aspects of the diet or any disease condition of the gut. Some recent research is also showing them to be promising in lowering cholesterol and controlling diabetes.[1]
    Other uses include gluten-free baking, where ground psyllium seed husks bind moisture and help make the bread less crumbly.
    The husks are used whole in their natural state, or dried and chopped or powdered for easier consumption. In either of these forms, one takes them by mixing them with water or another fluid.
    Sorry I was not online to answer you. But, the internet is great & that sums it up. <G>