High Protein

Options
Hi all,

New today and following a high protein diet...on my daily record it si showing in red as a minus does this mean protiens are too high?

thanks for any advice:love: laney27

Replies

• jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think it means you've exceeded your goal amount of protein. For example, my profile has a goal of 90 grams of protein per day. Saturday, I recorded 103 grams of protein. I had a red -13 in my "Remaining" line under protein.
    Hope that helps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein levels fairly low, If you are on a high protein diet you will have to go into your goals and adjust this number. Go to: Home, Goals, click change goals, select Custom, then change to the desired level. And like the first reply a negative red number means you consumed more than your goal amount.
  • tommunley
    Options
    You can also go into settings and change your daily % targets to reflect a higher protein diet.

Eric above beat me to it ;)
  • Laney27
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far I have now changed the settings...can anyone recommend an average % amount?
  • mnixon13
    Options
    Just depends on your goals. For some people just trying to lose weight, 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat is the way they reccommend on phase 1 of P90X. They call it the fat shredder. That was a little hard to keep up for me financially. I just stick with a good balance 40-40-20 (respectively).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just depends on your goals. For some people just trying to lose weight, 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat is the way they reccommend on phase 1 of P90X. They call it the fat shredder. That was a little hard to keep up for me financially. I just stick with a good balance 40-40-20 (respectively).

Reason #876 why fitness people (the P90X folks) should not be giving out nutrition advice. Or are they trying to sell you protein too?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    40-40-20 is a good balance for people that carb sensitive. I'm on a 45C-35P-20F and it's working great also.

...and Azdak. There's nothing wrong with 30-50-20 either for increased fat loss, but the protein does get expensive. Right now my meat is my biggest ticket expense on my grocery list.