Adding calories back after exercise

Options
So I'm having this delima. My base calorie goal is 1200 per day. I exercise at least four days a week and I have been adding my exercising in so I get to eat more calories. I did this last week and didn't lose any weight. It was frustrating. Is it bad if I dont count my exercise and just eat 1200 calories all the time? I know this is the minimum i should eat so i wont eat any less than that. I don't want to overdo it and starve myself, but I want results! Im also concerned about the accuracy of the estimations of how many calories i burn during exercise. What does everyone else do?

Just for reference I work out pretty hard. Body pump, spin class or step aerobics are my usuals. I'm about 137 now. Trying to get to 120.

Replies

• fishyfoo77
    Options
    good question, i was wondering the same thing.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM, I would only eat back half of what MFP tells you you burned. Then again, 1200 is kind of low. Different things work for different people, I'm sure someone will come in this thread telling you to eat more and others will tell you not to eat them back at all. You're better off just experimenting with different techniques and giving them a two week trial period to see what your body does. You could also adjust your activity level to compensate for the exercise instead of logging it, and see what's recommended then.

I don't log my exercise at all (though I probably don't work out as hard as you do), and I eat anywhere from 1300-1500 calories a day and it's been working for me, losing around .5-1 pound a week.
  • NorCalRey
    NorCalRey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. There are varying opinions on this. Some add back all the estimated calories from exercise, some half and some do not add any back at all. I personally do not add any back. I would recommend you try this for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Please remember that one week to the next is not a 100% accurate guage to judge weight loss. Water weight could be a significant factor. However, if you go two weeks without weight loss, I would say you need to readjust your calorie consumption. I have mine dialed in so that I know that if I eat x number of calories I'll lose exactly 2 lbs ber week. +/- a couple of ounces (again most likely due to fluctuations in water weight. But it has taken a lot of trial and error to find that number.

Just keep at it!
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I really have no idea how many calories I use to eat but I just started walking/exercising back on July 22 and so this week I have had 4 pound loss ( in 3 weeks) plus everyone around me already telling me I look slimmer.(loss inches)

Me and my friend started this together. We walked/worked out for 3 consecutive weeks. From July 22-August 11. Then took off Sunday August 12 and will continue taking off atleast 1 day a week for while.

Im trying to eat 1200-1500 calories and maybe atleast for now and burn atleast 400-500 day.