Laid Off and Blue

Options
I got laid off two weeks ago from a job that I loved. This is the second layoff for me in four years, and for over two years after the first one I was underemployed on a good day. I know the unemployment situation is a lot better now than it was in 2008 (and thank goodness for that), but I'm starting to get shared skitless of another long period of unemployment. I'm pretty upset today and could use some encouragement.

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Options
    Keep your chin up and you will be fine... Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation. Pretty much jobless for over a year.

Be patient, keep looking, something will come up.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been out of a job for 10 months now...it really sucks, but I am trying to make the most of the free time
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand. I was laid off in spring 2009. I killed myself looking for a job for 2 years. It destroyed my self-esteem and confidence (not to mention my finances). I finally took a job at Target.

I did eventually get a temp job in my field, but was laid off from THAT job a week and a half-ago.

I know that scared-****less feeling - for me it borders on constant panic - about being long-term unemployed again.

HOWEVER, I literally just got a call from one of the seven temp agencies I put calls out to, and I start a new temp job on Monday! It is only supposed to last 2-3 months, but there is a possibility of more long-term.

All I can say is work the job search as hard as possible right now while your last job is still in the recent past. As that gap between jobs becomes bigger, people just don't want to hire.

You are not alone. Don't panic and don't give up!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you were laid off and in good standing with some of the higher ups, ask them to write you a reference letter. 9 times out of 10 they are happy to do that, and send THOSE LETTERS along with your resume to pimp yourself out. It helped me gain an edge in an "References Available Upon Request" job market cuz it shows you have nothing to hide and your performance speaks for itself. Its all about the marketing, baby.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I actually have recommendations posted on LinkedIn from 7 of my co-workers, including my supervisors and the CEO of the company. I think the reality is just starting to hit home that I'm unemployed again, and it isn't sitting well. Here's hoping I hear something soon.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I was laid off in July 2009 and worked a series of temporary positions until I landed a full-time job in October 2011 which ended in January 2012 because they didn't have enough work to substantiate the position. :sad: Keep your head up and keep trying. Will keep you in prayer. :smile:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Focus on the positives in your life. What are you happy about? What are you thankful for? This is just a minor setback, don't let it define you. I'm going through a split up with my husband, and this has been helping me. I just keep telling myself I'm thankful for what I have, not scared or mad at what I don't have. My life will come together, I also need a job badly now too, as I was a stay at home mom. Been looking the past few days, no luck.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Your new 9-5 is job searching, resume editing, etc.

Your new hobby is self-improvement, try codeacademy.com

It's tough, but keep working at it.
  • lindakp1983
    Options
    I can relate. I was laid off a month ago. Everyone told me it could be a great opportunity to get a new job that I loved and maybe spend some time focusing on my weight loss and my son. But its hard to stay positive. Hang in there. You'll find something new. I am starting to find some new opportunities finally and my weight loss is doing really well too. You just need to stay busy with hobbies, family, friends, job hunting so you have less time to think.
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    I can say from experience, start looking for a job right away. Don't take any time off in between being let go and looking for work. When I got laid off, I took the summer off to be with my son. It took me a year to find a job. My other friend, took another job right away and did fine. Good luck, don't let it get you down. Use your feelings to develop a plan to get back on the track!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Noe is NOT the time to be looking for work... But take the best part. Now you have a lot of time to exercise!!!! Start training for a race! Exercise makes you less depressed....
  • kemmy45
    kemmy45 Posts: 59
    Options
    I have been unemployed for 3 months now.... talk about hard.. I live with my boyfriend of just over a year, he makes well over 150k and he alllows me 500 a month allowance,, which 400 has to pay my bills. So I get to watch him shop and spend on whatever while I try to figure out how to put gas in my car. lol.. Seriously trying to keep my chin up. I feel nothing but resentment toward him. I would have no problems helping him if the shoe was on the other foot. Guess when I get a job you all know what I will be doing. getting my *kitten* out of here. I can do without this kind of love..
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have be out since 7/1. I just keep looking applying and had one interview I am waiting to hear back on.

I am faith person - so I am not that worried. (And yes it is huge financial stress if I let it be.)

So I am going to run 75 miles this month and I am at 32 already.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've been unemployed since December. I have decided that it has been a gift because I was able to be home with my son this summer for the first time in the 6 years of his life! You never know what opportunities this will bring! I say this as I try to figure out what in the world I am going to do with the rest of my life. My heart is in being home raising my son and potential future children, but realistically I need a job...
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your situation. Remember when one door closes, another one opens. Keep your eyes and ears open and something will come up. Good luck to you in your job search and your health goals!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    That's rough. I had been fired in February and now I'm working at a warehouse. I'm paid more and am generally happier than I was at my last job. Hopefully you find something better. Collect unemployment if you can. It'll help bridge the gap. :)
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.. I was let go from my job in November 2011 and was out of work for 8 months with no income!! But I did my best to keep my chin up...Believe me it was hard!! The great news is I just started a new job 2 1/2 weeks a go... And all I say is, I love it! It's a great company, with a ton of perks. Bottom Line is I would never in a million years see myself working for a company like this...

My mom kept saying to me "Don't worry things come to those who wait" Well I waited a hell of a long time to find a company like this!! Just keep telling yourself your great at what you do, no matter how many interviews you go on!!!

Something will come your way!!!

Good Luck I wish you all the best
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have been unemployed for 3 months now.... talk about hard.. I live with my boyfriend of just over a year, he makes well over 150k and he alllows me 500 a month allowance,, which 400 has to pay my bills. So I get to watch him shop and spend on whatever while I try to figure out how to put gas in my car. lol.. Seriously trying to keep my chin up. I feel nothing but resentment toward him. I would have no problems helping him if the shoe was on the other foot. Guess when I get a job you all know what I will be doing. getting my *kitten* out of here. I can do without this kind of love..

Some people have no clue how hard it can be.... I agree with you..... "you don't need to have this kind of love"

Good Luck