c25k ppl

Options
ok so i did my first day today....i got 3/4 the way through.....meaning 6 sets out of the 8.....and i just could not breath any more to be able to do the next two sets....i iwas zapped of energy. lol so my question is i guess to hopefully make me feel better lol anybody else out there couldn't finish on their first try and if not when were u able to finish?

Replies

• Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    aww dang lol :(
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Run slower. Most people try to RUN way too fast to start. Run SLOW and you should have better results. You can do it! :drinker:
  • msmindylee
    Options
    Ditto what ready2rock206 said. Also, if you need to take longer walking intervals to catch your breath - do it! Whose program is it anyway? And if you need to do week one over again... or even again... you just go right on ahead and do that. You're doing this for YOU, period.
  • mamakjknows
    Options
    I started it today myself--using the treadmill. I started walking at 2.6MPH and then would bump it up to 2.8 for the jogging part. I got through it just fine so the next time I do it I will go just a bit faster, but all the instructions say start off very slow. Hope this helps!
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Run slower. Most people try to RUN way too fast to start. Run SLOW and you should have better results. You can do it! :drinker:

^^^This! I run super slow but I finished Week 9 and am WAYY overweight.
    I'm going to do the program again to increase speed now :)
  • habu68123
    habu68123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I completed day 1 last week and only got about a third of the sets done before my heart rate shot way up. With this pace I expect to have to give it several tries before even getting all they way through but I'm subscribing to the "no matter how slow you go you're still lapping everyone on the couch" theory so I'm just going to keep working on it.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes - Run Slower. If you can run slower at all then you are running too fast. Just do that to get through the program and speed will come later. :) I'm still working on speed - I'm slow, but i finished the C25k and you can too!
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have done W1D1 4 times now. I am to a point where I now can run 3 or 4 run intervals and at least a little bit of the rest of them. I'm going to keep doing week one until I feel like my body can do more. The biggest key for me was breathing I had a lot more success when I started breathing properly. I take 3 footfalls to breathe in and 3 footfalls to breathe out. Sometimes i do 4 & 4. I know some people who do 2 & 2. I found that practicing while walking helped ease me into doing it while running.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    thanx guys.i run as slow as i can...but maybe its cuz i haven't been out in awhile. but thursday i will definately shoot for more.. thanx u guys are the best
  • mugglewump701
    mugglewump701 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone who say to take it slow. But another thing my husband taught me is that if you've got a cramp or are having trouble breathing, raise your arm on whichever side the cramp is on. It will make it easier to breath and recover. I probably spent all of my walking time in the first half of this program with my arm in the air. I got some funny looks from people, but hey, now I hardly ever have to do it :) Keep at it and don't give up, it WILL get easier :) Good luck!
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    I have done W1D1 4 times now. I am to a point where I now can run 3 or 4 run intervals and at least a little bit of the rest of them. I'm going to keep doing week one until I feel like my body can do more. The biggest key for me was breathing I had a lot more success when I started breathing properly. I take 3 footfalls to breathe in and 3 footfalls to breathe out. Sometimes i do 4 & 4. I know some people who do 2 & 2. I found that practicing while walking helped ease me into doing it while running.
    i like this idea too. i will definately try that.....that will probably help.. i usually chew gum to help me focus my breathing cuz i heard its suppose to help but i notced it makes me more thirsty sometimes when my mouth is constantly moving lol
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    i do mine on the side of a hill so ill prolly be repeating week 1 atleast once id prolly not have to on the treadmill but eh
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else is saying...run slow and build your endurance. Once you have your endurance you can work on speed.
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm probably cheating, but I tried outside and jogging in place inside (since I don't have a treadmill or access to one). It still kicks my butt just jogging in place, but I feel like I'm able to power through it when it starts getting a little too difficult. So, I decided that I will continue jogging in place inside through the program until I can build up the stamina to run outside or on a treadmill :)
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm probably cheating, but I tried outside and jogging in place inside (since I don't have a treadmill or access to one). It still kicks my butt just jogging in place, but I feel like I'm able to power through it when it starts getting a little too difficult. So, I decided that I will continue jogging in place inside through the program until I can build up the stamina to run outside or on a treadmill :)

Don't feel like you're cheating! You're still working it, regardless!
  • Megdmcda
    Options

no its not cheating but i'm sure it helps w lack of heat and i think u automatically run slower joggng in place. cuz i can go at 20-30 min nonstop inside and when i first started i could barely get 2 min....but i'll keep it mind. espially if i happen to have a rainy day on my runnin day.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    thanx guys.i run as slow as i can...
    I agree w/ all above - run EVEN slower - but if you really can't go any slower, just do the number of intervals that you can manage, and walk the rest of the 30 minutes. If you can already do 6 of the 8 intervals, you'll be able to finish the 8 intervals within a week or two if you keep doing it 3 times a week.
  • Megdmcda
    Options
    thanx guys.i run as slow as i can...
    I agree w/ all above - run EVEN slower - but if you really can't go any slower, just do the number of intervals that you can manage, and walk the rest of the 30 minutes. If you can already do 6 of the 8 intervals, you'll be able to finish the 8 intervals within a week or two if you keep doing it 3 times a week.

that's what i figured. :) thanx
  • maineiac13
    Options
    this sounds awesome. just looked it up online and this is exactly what ill need to get ready for school athletics. :)
  • salesmktgmom
    salesmktgmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the first week in July and it took me 3 tries to get through Day 1 and then I repeated each of the next workouts 2 times. I just struggled and still struggle but its getting easier. Just did W4D2 yesterday and am so pleased with how much I can do and love saying, need to go out for a "run."
    I must confess that I am dreading Week 5 and beyond....you can bet I run slow and I'll be running even slower as I get into the next weeks!