Lower Back Pain

Options
I'm trying to figure out the cause of my lower back pain. I know it's directly related to the sit-ups and push-ups I've been doing, but I'm not sure why... I'm nearly certain I have good form when doing them. Would my back just be sore from working those muscles as well? I don't want to injure my back at all, but I also don't want to scale back my exercises. I'm getting in shape for basic training and I know that I'll be doing loads of sit-ups and push-ups hence why I'm focusing on those.

It's not very painful in my back, but enough to be uncomfortable sitting, standing, even just laying down. However it feels different than "sore muscles" after an exercise if that makes sense.

Does anyone have tips on how to prevent this or how to strengthen my back to avoid this?

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    There are many, many low-impact back-stretching and back-strengthening exercises. I threw my back out shoveling gravel a few years ago (trying to shovel over a ton of gravel as quickly as you can is a bad idea if you are otherwise largely sedentary - I made it to 1.3 tons before I laid myself up for 2 weeks). My local sports medicine doc (chiropractor without the voodoo mumbo jumbo) did a few tweaks and gave me some exercises to do, and I've been pretty good about doing them.

Had to shovel gravel a few times since (kinda necessary with a 1/4-mile dirt driveway, they don't maintain themselves) and haven't had a problem since.
  • aolivez
    aolivez Posts: 8
    Options
    PS, some people I used to do yoga with recommend twists since stretching back and forth is supposed to be stressful on your back. Supine twist and half lord of the fishes are both good: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/485

I have very weak abs and find that sit-ups, boat pose and leg raises make my back ache - not permanently, but when I'm in better shape that pain is avoided.

a.
  • docscottj
    docscottj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Can anyone tell me why my lower back would hurt more during excersise than before? What I mean by before and during is...my lower back was not in pain when I was sedentary (203lbs), but has become more aggravated (188.4). Maybe it's not used to being worked? I want to add that I stretch also.

It's really strange...routinely i stationary row, deadlifts and twists, as well as additional cardio/weight training. I'm affluent in training, but this is boggling my mind.

Kudos to everyone!
    Scott