Should I try going low carb for a week?

Options

Replies

• youallonsy
    youallonsy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The science and success of a low carb diet is undeniable. Your ancestors from the mid-1900's and earlier were thin because they ate a diet that was low carb. Processed sugars, refined carbs, and high fat foods were just not available like they are today. It is the reason that all the generations and cultures before then were mostly thin.

When working out, you do not burn a single calorie of fat until the carbs (glucose) in your muscles have been depleted. With a low carb diet done correctly, you don't have enough glucose in your muscles to begin with so your body immediately reverts to burning any foods just consumed and then fat burning from storage after that.

Here are a couple articles to wrap your head around:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-burn-stored-body-fat-a-ketosis-primer/

http://asianwithoutrice.com/the-ketogenic-primer/

Your assumption that low carbohydrate diets of past generations are the reason for lower societal obesity levels does not take into account the activity levels of past generations.

I do not know where you get your biological/metabolic data from, you should recheck your sources. Your advice is wrong and potentially harmful to anyone who follows it. The amount of fat to sugar utilization during exercising depends on the intensity of the activity and the physiology/fitness level of the individual. In order to burn fat during aerobic exercising, carbohydrates MUST be present.

Be very careful when trusting locker room advice, especially when it concerns your health. Do the research yourself and/or consult trained professionals.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not?? Reducing the amount of estrogen that you get from products such as wheat does actually help to reduce water retention and might help with those last pounds. Anything you can do to change it up a bit will help. Good luck!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    One of the things I have read is changing up your workout periodically as well. I would not give up carbs. I think you are going to end up in a cycle of gain/lose. You are wanting to have more sustainability than that. Even with the "shakes" they push. i want something more of a life change, I don't want to have to spend 100 a month on shakes for the rest of my life. Therefore I would say try a few new workouts, different from what you do or have done. Then your body can't adjust and get used to the movements.

Just to add to this: the more you can change up your workout routine, the faster you'll see results. I did not believe in this doctrine a while back, but now I do it and it works. Changes don't have to be big, either. Lots of little changes add up, like instead of doing a normal bicep curl alternating arms, do both arms together for a couple of sets. Dietary changes can help, but I don't think they should be made as often, but definitely often enough to avoid boredom.
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    I cant seem to lose the last 10-15 pds...so I am going to try going low carb for a week and see if that may budge the scale. I work out like crazy and cant get the weight off! I'm thinking maybe my daily popcorn and goldfish cracker snack might have too many carbs! I've never tracked my carbs before so any tips on good low carb eating?

Popcorn and goldfish crackers are pretty much on my food diary everyday. I've been stuck at a plateau with my weight loss and was starting to think it was because of my unhealthy carbs. Thanks for posting this. :wink:
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    For the most part I am trying to lower my carbs significantly. Today I failed horribly, but when I do good on it, there is ounces lost everyday.
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    I think low carb works only if its permanent. Otherwise, it all just come right back. Don't get rid of your carbs - change them. Popcorn and Goldfish? Why not a whole grain cracker with PB or an apple, or a peach, or lean turkey on whole wheat bread. Yogurt, brown rice, salads, fruits.... These carbs are your friends!

Thanks for the food ideas...I need them! :smile:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! I am weight training 3x a week and running about 25 -28 miles a week. I didn't think about the sodium in the popcorn and crackers I eat...I guess I could work on cutting those out. I eat too much fruit to give that up on a low carb diet though. What is a good low carb snack?

You can eat fruit on a low carb diet, you probably just don't want to eat, like, 3 bananas in one day. There's different levels of low carb, maybe you would just stick to under 100 or 150 carbs a day. Berries are lower carb than other fruits.

Here's the low carb group for more support and good info!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Good snacks--a couple slices of turkey or regular bacon, cottage cheese, salad or other veggies with dressing, full-fat yogurt with no sugar, protein smoothie made with almond milk, lunch meat or cold meat leftover from dinner (pot roast, chicken breast, pork chop), cheese sticks. Even though these are higher calories items, they fill you up and you stay full longer, so even doing low carb I don't find it difficult to hit and stay under my calorie allotment.
  • maremare312
    Options
    What is a good low carb snack?
    Cheese, or nuts.

"Working out like crazy" is often associated with stalled weight loss. Try a rest.

Well.....not really, unless you eat, like, a crumb. They are SO calorie dense that in order to eat a satisfying amount, you jeopardize your daily deficits. Scrambled egg whites, lean turkey rolled up with a lettuce leaf, etc. These are better.

I disagree, 200 calories of cheese or nuts is a decent snack, both filling and not going to kill the calorie bank. 200 calories of cheese is about 2 mozzarella cheese sticks. 200 calories of raw walnuts is about an ounce.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There is no "magic" in a low-carb diet. Read this article by Lyle McDonald, who was the author of a book called "The Ketogenic Diet":

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/comparing-the-diets-part-4.html

Lyle knows a thing or three about low-carb diets and he himself says in the article:
    My opinion on ketogenic diets is this: ketogenic diets are one of many (ok, three) dietary approaches available. They have advantages and disadvantages (like all diets). They are appropriate under some circumstances, relatively neutral under others, and entirely inappropriate under still other circumstances. They are not magic but they work tremendously well for some people and absolutely horribly for other. There are still questions regarding their long-term effects.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I cant seem to lose the last 10-15 pds...so I am going to try going low carb for a week and see if that may budge the scale. I work out like crazy and cant get the weight off! I'm thinking maybe my daily popcorn and goldfish cracker snack might have too many carbs! I've never tracked my carbs before so any tips on good low carb eating?
    Don't go low carb!!! It's not a sustainable diet. Get rid of the goldfish crackers and all other bread products, but don't limit your carbs from fruit. Eat all the fruit you want. Ditch anything processed.
  • RokkinRobin
    Options
    I started doing low carb two days per week at the recommendation of my diabetes nurse educator. This worked well for me, and I now aim for 4 days a week. This allows me to have some of the things I might crave a few days a week (in small amounts). It is true that you will experience some withdrawal in the form of headaches or lack of energy. My nurse said that "low carb" is between 50-150 grams of carbs. Another thing I learned is that it is way too easy to eat too much fat on a low carb plan, which is another reason not to do it everyday until you are more used to it. I am still learning, so any advice on this is welcome. Good luck to you!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping this for more information...thanks all!!
  • maremare312
    Options
    There is no "magic" in a low-carb diet. Read this article by Lyle McDonald, who was the author of a book called "The Ketogenic Diet":

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/comparing-the-diets-part-4.html

Lyle knows a thing or three about low-carb diets and he himself says in the article:
    My opinion on ketogenic diets is this: ketogenic diets are one of many (ok, three) dietary approaches available. They have advantages and disadvantages (like all diets). They are appropriate under some circumstances, relatively neutral under others, and entirely inappropriate under still other circumstances. They are not magic but they work tremendously well for some people and absolutely horribly for other. There are still questions regarding their long-term effects.

I don't think it's magical either and it still boils down to taking in less calories than you burn. But! For myself and some other people who are bingers, it is wonderful in controlling cravings/binging. If you focus on food literally all the time, and then start eating low carb and suddenly don't even think about food unless you're truly hungry, well, that's an amazing feeling. I do find myself cycling back to low carb more and more, and I really do feel better on it. Of course, everyone's different and low carb makes some people feel like *kitten*, but if nothing else is working, why not try it?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's magical either and it still boils down to taking in less calories than you burn. But! For myself and some other people who are bingers, it is wonderful in controlling cravings/binging. If you focus on food literally all the time, and then start eating low carb and suddenly don't even think about food unless you're truly hungry, well, that's an amazing feeling. I do find myself cycling back to low carb more and more, and I really do feel better on it. Of course, everyone's different and low carb makes some people feel like *kitten*, but if nothing else is working, why not try it?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not *anti* low-carb. I did the Atkins diet 12 or so years ago and was very successful with it (although I didn't maintain it long-term, which is why I'm now here). I understand the satiety that protein and fat provides - my diet is still very high in protein now even though I'm not low-carbing. I think low-carb is a viable diet, but I concur with Lyle's assessment and it kind of rankles me when the dogmatic zealots come along preaching about the "poisons" of evil carbohydrates and insisting that low-carb is the one-size-fits-all only way for anybody and everybody to successfully lose weight. It's *a* way, but not *the only* way.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I know I'm cheating here, but I didn't read any of the responses to your post.

BUT, I'm old and have done a lot of different things to lose weight over the years, and I've found that whatever I've done hasn't stuck for very long if it hasn't been a thing I've decided to do FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I was a vegetarian in college (gained weight). I stopped drinking for a while (what was I thinking?) I did Atkins. I did South Beach.

But the two times I really lost weight and kept it off for years (once after college and again in my early 30s), were times when I adopted a healthy eating plan that was sustainable and coupled that with daily exercise. If you feel that low-carb is sustainable for you for the LONG TERM, go for it. If not, you'll just gain those pounds back when you start eating rice again. Or wheat. Or beer.

My two cents. Haters, don't bother to chastise me. I don't care what you think of my reality -- I'm just trying to help the OP.
  • maremare312
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not *anti* low-carb. I did the Atkins diet 12 or so years ago and was very successful with it (although I didn't maintain it long-term, which is why I'm now here). I understand the satiety that protein and fat provides - my diet is still very high in protein now even though I'm not low-carbing. I think low-carb is a viable diet, but I concur with Lyle's assessment and it kind of rankles me when the dogmatic zealots come along preaching about the "poisons" of evil carbohydrates and insisting that low-carb is the one-size-fits-all only way for anybody and everybody to successfully lose weight. It's *a* way, but not *the only* way.

I gotcha! I think there's tons of ways that work, but that's going to be different for everyone and we all have to find what works best for our bodies. I get frustrated when people just very emphatically say the same thing to any post, like you have to stop eating bread, or don't eat meat, whatever is their thing that they're trying to push on someone else. I don't think there's "one way" and see so many people on here saying that. And even just counting calories doesn't work for all of us because we can't stick with it for whatever reason. I actually read Eat to Live and was stoked to go vegan and really believed in that way of eating, but it didn't really work for me. I did a somewhat embarrassing 180 back to low carb and feel a lot better. But for all the people that Eat to Live works for? That's awesome, and maybe someone in this thread might want to try it too if low carb, calorie counting, or whatnot isn't their cup of tea.

tl:dr: I agree with you and get where you're coming from. Everyone should have different options to try to see what works for them, and be able to ask about them without people going nutso ;)
  • maremare312
    Options
    I know I'm cheating here, but I didn't read any of the responses to your post.

BUT, I'm old and have done a lot of different things to lose weight over the years, and I've found that whatever I've done hasn't stuck for very long if it hasn't been a thing I've decided to do FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I was a vegetarian in college (gained weight). I stopped drinking for a while (what was I thinking?) I did Atkins. I did South Beach.

But the two times I really lost weight and kept it off for years (once after college and again in my early 30s), were times when I adopted a healthy eating plan that was sustainable and coupled that with daily exercise. If you feel that low-carb is sustainable for you for the LONG TERM, go for it. If not, you'll just gain those pounds back when you start eating rice again. Or wheat. Or beer.

My two cents. Haters, don't bother to chastise me. I don't care what you think of my reality -- I'm just trying to help the OP.

That makes sense! Not hating, just stating that for me I do ok if I make a change for awhile, as long as I have a backup plan to transition to another healthy eating program. For instance, doing low carb for a couple weeks and getting my binging under control, then transitioning back to just counting calories with a more "normal" percentage of carbs. If you do any plan and then just go off it and crazy nuts with the carbs or whatever then yeah, it's pretty pointless.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Had you considered trying just eating less?
    Specifically - no eating back all your exercise?

Mentioned because a lot of people suggest that myfitnesspal over calculates calories burnt in exercise.

You do need to be careful of course - probably better to not do what I'm doing which is high protein with lots of physical work that will put me way under the total listed if it was calculated in here (I have it set to -1000 calories as it. But, I've just seen the lowest figure on my scales for maybe 18 years and I can do one more pull up than last time I was around this weight a few years ago. Not everyone is the same and I'm confident enough I can make this work for me.
  • bboylayz
    bboylayz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The science and success of a low carb diet is undeniable. Your ancestors from the mid-1900's and earlier were thin because they ate a diet that was low carb. Processed sugars, refined carbs, and high fat foods were just not available like they are today. It is the reason that all the generations and cultures before then were mostly thin.

When working out, you do not burn a single calorie of fat until the carbs (glucose) in your muscles have been depleted. With a low carb diet done correctly, you don't have enough glucose in your muscles to begin with so your body immediately reverts to burning any foods just consumed and then fat burning from storage after that.

Here are a couple articles to wrap your head around:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-burn-stored-body-fat-a-ketosis-primer/

http://asianwithoutrice.com/the-ketogenic-primer/

Your assumption that low carbohydrate diets of past generations are the reason for lower societal obesity levels does not take into account the activity levels of past generations.

I do not know where you get your biological/metabolic data from, you should recheck your sources. Your advice is wrong and potentially harmful to anyone who follows it. The amount of fat to sugar utilization during exercising depends on the intensity of the activity and the physiology/fitness level of the individual. In order to burn fat during aerobic exercising, carbohydrates MUST be present.

Be very careful when trusting locker room advice, especially when it concerns your health. Do the research yourself and/or consult trained professionals.

Ah, I was just looking through my track backs to my blog and noticed I was quoted on here. Nice to know I have some readers (asianwithoutrice.com) besides friends and family. But I just want to jump in and say I agree, do the research yourself. More importantly, learn how to critique and analyze the method of research as well. Too few people see a study and think the study was done properly. The truth is, if it headlines well, people will believe it. And there is so much anti fat propaganda out there. I'm just writing on my blog to give people a starting point referencing all the research papers/journals and what not.

With that being said, just want to point out that the comments about not leasing a calorie of fat when exercising definitely did not come from me! youallonsy is correct in that fat is burned regardless of whether or not carbs are present. But studies have shown, and I highly recommend picking up "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" By Dr. Stephen Phinney to learn more about his, and other people's research/studies, that people on (and adapted to) a ketogenic diet oxidize (burn) on average 3x the amount of fat that the average person does in their own peak fat oxidation (what some people might call "their zone"). Here is a snapshot I just took of a graph that illustrates this.

http://asianwithoutrice.com/?attachment_id=540

This particular study by Phinney's was thorough, but I'll admit is pretty old. So, take it as you will. But there is plenty of other recent evidence out there. Just look for it!

I agree that activity level has a bit too do with obesity these days as well, but I do believe that the majority of our issues starts in the kitchen. Exercise helps in certain ways, but alone, for MOST people, won't be enough. Sugar is definitely a huge problem these days.
  • Hannaaaaalynn
    Options
    We'll I tried doing 0 carbs for 2 weeks straight and I checked my weight on about a week and a day and I had lost 11 pounds. I couldn't really tell much like a huge difference so I was confused because that seems like a lot. I was told it was all water weight which is what I figured and I just stopped that diet. I'm starting now as I would like to lose 10 pounds or around there by the beginning of September but I'm not sure if I should do no carbs again because of what I have been reading. Some people say it's good some say it will catch back up with me which I also agree. I was planning on just doing the 0 carbs for a week or maybe two just to teach my body not to rely on carbs to be stored as fat and after that week Or two I would start eating fruit and veggies but still keep the carbs minimum. Smart or no? I'm really not sure. The no carb is the only thing that has really worked for me and I would really like to see results. I am also active almost every day