Rice Cookers

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
Hey hey. We eat a lot of rice in our house (yes... that stereotype applies). And my awesome rice cooker that I've had for 7+ years has finally died. Can anyone out there recommend a good rice cooker that does all kinds of rice without boiling, bubbling over? I can't find the one that I used to have because my mom got it for me overseas. I can't even read the buttons.

Basically, I'm looking for something that can cook brown rice, white rice, and porridge/congee. Steamer basket is nice. Warmer and timer functions are a plus. Automatic cord rewind is nice, too.

The last rice cooker that I bought from Macy's came well reviewed but I had to return it because it didn't live up to my high standards.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Sadly I only have a cheap $10-$20 dollar one I bought at BB&B. XD

Hope you find a good one!
  • swtpea88
    swtpea88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of cheap rice cookers out there, don't waste your money. You'll absolutely love this type, it does everything you want, has a delay and keep warm function, and every type of rice I've made in mine has come out perfect. You want to pay attention to whether or not they are "fuzzy logic" machines, it makes a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-TGC10-Cooker-Warmer-Stainless/dp/B000MAERM0/ref=sr_1_22?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1344993718&sr=1-22&keywords=zojirushi+electric+rice+cooker
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    +1 vote for the Zojirushi. They make good machines. A bit pricy, but definitely worth the money.
  • LisaWrob9803
    Options
    Mine is some Japanese one from overseas...does all that and more!!! Love it :) You will probably have to go to an asian store that imports stuff.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The classic cheap round rice makers that everybody in Asia uses are great. You can get them for 10-20 dollars through most appliance retailers. You can cook white, brown, etc, but also quinoa and oats.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Mine is some Japanese one from overseas...does all that and more!!! Love it :) You will probably have to go to an asian store that imports stuff.

Probably also a zojirushi or a sanyo. Zojirushi at amazon is pretty great. I love mine. It can do mixed rice, brown rice,porridge, whatever.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one at Target...works great, although brown rice takes a lot longer than doing it on the stove. (I make crummy rice on the stove though. The cooker is perfect every time)
  • om3guz
    om3guz Posts: 48
    Options
    I have an Aroma rice cooker (3 quart) that works really well. It's in the 40 - 50 dollar price range, but it is much better than the cheap rice cookers I've had in the past. It can steam vegetables too. It has the options for quick rice, white rice, brown rice, and a few other settings that I don't typically use. I love my rice cooker.
  • khatzke
    khatzke Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Zojirushi here. We also eat a lot of rice and it seriously makes great tasting rice, very easily! I don't regret the money I spent on it.
  • GrandGal2
    Options
    Wow! . . . a lot of rice cooker users.
    I keep it simple---I just use a pan and watch the stove.
    It's pretty easy and no extra appliances setting around.