Paxil Pounds .. It's legit

Options
So I've been on Paxil for 2 years. After I returned home from Afghanistan I was ok for about 6 months. Then all of a sudden I started having panic attacks out of the blue with light headed spells and profuse sweating.
I went to see the Doc and he gave me Paroxetine (the paxil generic) 20mg. It took about 6 days for it to build in my system. Once it did, I started to legitimately feel better, more like myself.
Once I seperated from the Army I noticed that I was starting to gain weight even faster. I had probably put on 8-10 lbs at the most while still in. But now I had gained and additional 15 lbs in about 3 months.

I am now at 209lbs
My Army weight was 165lbs

There is no doubt that some of this is me. I'm not working out anywhere near as much and I was pretty much eating whatever I wanted. Since the substantial gain I have started paying more attention. I made it all the way up to 225lbs about 3 months ago. A week ago I was at 203lbs and I really thought I was going to break the 200 mark.
A long weekend of stuffing my face made for a SERIOUS step back.

My goal by joining here is to blow out this fat with hard work, eating right and a solid workout plan. I'm no stranger to pain... I can deal with that.
I know this isn't going to be easy, but I have to find a way to do it. Surgery is not an option, nor is all this marquee weight loss crap being advertised. I can do this without that stuff.
Motivation is the most difficult part for me.

Getting home after a long day of being on my feet at work and feeling motivated to change and get on a treadmill is killer. So .. I'm turning to you guys. I will update my profile with pictures of my fat *kitten* to try and motivate myself, but you guys are my missing link.
Help me push passed the Paxil barrier into the body I want.

Paxil may not be the reason I've gained weight, but it certainly helped. It was the difference between gaining 10 lbs or 30 lbs.

It's time to get funky .. it's time to start burnin'

Look for my updates and for those that are willing.. I could totally use a cheering section ;o)

Replies

• andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh boy can I relate! I was supposed to be losing weight for my wedding, the doc put me on Paxil, and I ended up gaining! I agree that it wasn't all the drug's fault, but the weight just seemed to pack on even faster when I was taking it. I also went through serious side effects when I tried to get off of it. I had this weird zapping sensation in my head for over a month. I will never ever ever take that drug again!

But anyway... welcome! It'll take some hard work to get back to where you were, but you can do it and ever lesson you learn during the journey will be worth it!
  • cdmyers6
    cdmyers6 Posts: 10
    Options
    That's awesome that you are getting on the bandwagon and ready to kick some butt!! =D You can do it!! If you've made it through the difficulties of being in the military, you can do anything! And I can definitely confirm that having buddies to encourage you is the best way to stick to it. It makes you feel like you are being held accountable to someone, and you don't want to let them down!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Stop with the excuse of Paxil.

Health and Fitness is about realization, choices, and taking action. From one Army Vet to another. Suck it up PYLE!!! :laugh:
    You either want this or you dont. YOU MAKE CHANGE.

Now, drop until you push the ground to China.

Ahhhh I miss boot camp. LOL
  • Matt3723
    Matt3723 Posts: 15
    Options
    As I said, I don't blame it entirely. A lot was my own eat and workout regiment. But facts are facts. When I got off for a year I quickly went back to 165lbs. We're talking 3 months to lose it. Same eating and workout regime. Explain that.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1. Thanks for you service. 2. Weight gain with SSRIs is a common side-effect. 3. The reasons you're taking Paxil might also contribute to your weight gain. So...good for you for finding this site and asking for help. First step! I wish you good luck in your journey. Feel free to add me if you want a cheering section...
  • Matt3723
    Options
    Thank you very much for your support. It's people like you that keep me motivated. Sincere, helpful and positive. I'll definitely add you. As for the military, it was my honor to serve with such great men and women. Thank you for your support there as well!
  • Matt3723
    Options
    Oh boy can I relate! I was supposed to be losing weight for my wedding, the doc put me on Paxil, and I ended up gaining! I agree that it wasn't all the drug's fault, but the weight just seemed to pack on even faster when I was taking it. I also went through serious side effects when I tried to get off of it. I had this weird zapping sensation in my head for over a month. I will never ever ever take that drug again!

But anyway... welcome! It'll take some hard work to get back to where you were, but you can do it and ever lesson you learn during the journey will be worth it!

Thx for your understanding and kind words. Look for my updates, I'm hittin' it hard!
  • vena60
    vena60 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can relate too! Lost a daughter 10 years ago and gained 35# from Paxil but also too depressed to exercise.
  • vena60
    vena60 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what do you take now for an antidepressant/antianxiety??
  • cmeroar68
    cmeroar68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I, too, would like to thank you for your service and scarificing all you did to serve our fabulous country!
    I know the side effects of some meds are just not very kind to our bodies, leaving us to have to work even harder than someone who doesn't need to be on those medicines. I'm glad you found this site and have made the choice to get healthier and lose those unwanted pounds. I've found the people here to be so kind and very supportive, so you are in good hands here!!
    I would be honored to be one of your motivators if you are still in need of any. I've been a member on here for some time, but really only recently have gotten 'serious'.
    Here's to a great tomorrow!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You seem to have the determination to get to your goal and I am sure you will achieve it, paxil or no paxil. I used to suffer the most horrific panic attacks, daily, all day on and off, that left me housebound so I can understand that aspect. Just make this a lifestyle change, as opposed to a diet, with things you can sustain for life, and you will get there in no time.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had to go off Paxil cold turkey when I suddenly got pregnant. It was the worst thing ever. I can totally relate to the zapping thing, it was a nightmare. Paxil was an amazing tool for helping me get rid of my anxiety, it worked wonders for me, much better than zoloft or any of the other SRI's. I also think it contributed to my weight gain...It wasn't the only reason but I believe it made it much easier for me to put on weight.