Anyone have a "healthy" bread pudding recipe?

Options
tnqnt
tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
Have had both chocolate toffee and lemon bread pudding and I LOVE it.... I am looking for a healthy, lower cal recipe...thanks in advance :)

Replies

• stephenskt
    Options
    Bread pudding is essentially stale bread, butter, eggs, milk, and sugar. You can make it healthier by using non fat milk, margarine, and low cal sweetener. Then you can add all sorts of flavors with very few calories: vanilla extract, cinnamon, dried fruits, etc - I love to make it with shredded coconut, bananas, and crushed pineapple. Obviously you would want to skip a decadent sauce to top with, but hopefully you can tweak your bread pudding base to be tasty on its own!
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Thank you :):) Do you have measurements - how much of each item, stuff like that? I am craving it and don't want to eat the real thing - lol .... :):)
  • stephenskt
    Options
    Everyone's bread pudding is a little different - I would experiment until you find the egg/bread ratio texture you like.
    Basically, I use about 4 cups of bread, 2 tablespoons melted "butter," 3 beaten eggs, 2 cups skim milk, up to 3/4c "sugar" (you can use less) plus any add-ons like 1/2c raisins, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp vanilla extract, etc.

When I make it with coconut, bananas and crushed pineapple I use less milk because the pineapple already adds so much moisture.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
    In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Thank you so much :) I will experiment, using your recipe as my base... I appreciate it :):)
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heartsherps
    heartsherps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. =]
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SandyB0615
    SandyB0615 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely delicious! Great for breakfast, or as a dessert with a Tsp of fat free whipped topping on top :o) Plus, your house will smell so yummy as it's cooking in the slow cooker.

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Bread Pudding Recipe

12 slices reduced-calorie white bread– torn into medium-size pieces
    3 1/2 cups cooking apples — cored, peeled and chopped
    1 cup unsweetened apple juice
    1/2 cup diet lemon-lime soda
    Sugar substitute suitable for baking to equal 1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice

Spray slow cooker with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray. Combine bread pieces and apples in slow cooker. In small bowl, combine apple juice, soda, sugar substitute and apple pie spice. Drizzle evenly over bread mixture. Mix gently to combine. Cover and cook for 6 hours on low, or until done. Mix well before serving.

Serves 6. Each Serving Equals: 157 cal; 1 g fat; 5 g protein; 32 g carbohydrates; 233 mg sodium; 2 g fiber. (3 WW points)
  • tnqnt
    Options
    This is absolutely delicious! Great for breakfast, or as a dessert with a Tsp of fat free whipped topping on top :o) Plus, your house will smell so yummy as it's cooking in the slow cooker.

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Bread Pudding Recipe

12 slices reduced-calorie white bread– torn into medium-size pieces
    3 1/2 cups cooking apples — cored, peeled and chopped
    1 cup unsweetened apple juice
    1/2 cup diet lemon-lime soda
    Sugar substitute suitable for baking to equal 1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice

Spray slow cooker with butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray. Combine bread pieces and apples in slow cooker. In small bowl, combine apple juice, soda, sugar substitute and apple pie spice. Drizzle evenly over bread mixture. Mix gently to combine. Cover and cook for 6 hours on low, or until done. Mix well before serving.

Serves 6. Each Serving Equals: 157 cal; 1 g fat; 5 g protein; 32 g carbohydrates; 233 mg sodium; 2 g fiber. (3 WW points)

This sounds amazing!!! Thank you :-) :-)
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! Definitely going to try this in my slow cooker - Thanks :smile: