pms cravings

Options
My appetite increases horribly a week or two before "that time". I crave junk all day and its difficult to stop eating it once I start. I also get lazy and don't want to work out. I have been fighting it and working out but now as much as usual. Does anyone have this problem and if so how do you combat it? It amazes me how drastic I change during this time. I'm hoping to find a solution before it sabotages my efforts.

Replies

• imsleepdeprived
    imsleepdeprived Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I always want copious amounts of wine! I'm still pretty good with working out...when I'm not broken due to other injuries!alwa

I try to be good - but am not always successful.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about the carbs during that time. If I try to cut them back I'll be cranky and binge. But if I build some extra carbs into my diet by replacing a snack or two I find I'm a little better.

Obviously everyone is different and your mileage will vary. I hope you find what works for you!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just do my best and find replacements for my favorite foods and if that dont work. I just have it its not going to last forever.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I give in. Even though I don't actually get a period, (depo shot) I still get a "cycle" where I'm moody and bloated and crave sweets like a pregnant woman. I give in, within reason and then work it off as much as I can. I tend to sleep a lot during that time too, don't know why, but that cuts back on my food intake.
  • vonsay
    vonsay Posts: 31
    Options
    I give in. Even though I don't actually get a period, (depo shot) I still get a "cycle" where I'm moody and bloated and crave sweets like a pregnant woman. I give in, within reason and then work it off as much as I can. I tend to sleep a lot during that time too, don't know why, but that cuts back on my food intake.

I am the same and it is just like being pregnant! I'm sleepy all of the time but one thing that will get me up is my appetite. Any other time I can sleep through hunger. Even though I have been eating more junk I am staying within my calories so that's a good start.
  • vonsay
    Options
    For me it's all about the carbs during that time. If I try to cut them back I'll be cranky and binge. But if I build some extra carbs into my diet by replacing a snack or two I find I'm a little better.

Obviously everyone is different and your mileage will vary. I hope you find what works for you!

Ok thanks. I'm gonna try this because otherwise I will binge as well.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Same issue. My cycle is out of whack so I am now getting two days long periods per month where I just want to binge on doughnuts, cookies, cupcakes, flapjacks and danish pastries, all the worst things. I have not found a way to combat it, It is like I go on a shopping frenzy, buying all the things I don't get the rest of the time. Peanut M&Ms are a really pmt craving for me too.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfest or eat light all day and eat big at night...this is how i do it, meal timing and stuff means nothing your body doesnt care when or how much you eat at what time...Long as you put in less food then your body needs to run you will lose weight simple as that
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm really craving white chocolate and waffles with butter, fresh strawberries and syrup all because of my cycle. But I don't have them in the house so I'm just pouting.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I ate a ton of ice cream yesterday, I didn't even log it all I was so embarrassed, but today I know why. Luckily once it starts I don't eat much, so I guess it all evens out in the end. Sucks being a girl sometimes.
  • FalseLead
    Options
    Yeah PMS sucks. My appetite is always increased ten fold during that time, so don't feel bad it's not just you. It balances out though because during the first 3 days of my period I have no appetite.

The thing about PMS is that, in the past, when I have eaten mostly healthy (hardly any junk) my PMS was non-existent, therefore I had no cravings. Started eating junk again PMS came back, more cravings, more overeating. It's like a feedback loop. I suggest you cut out refined sugars/caffeine before your period and take a few months to notice the change.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    on those extreme craving days load up on the protein. it'll help fill you up and soon enough you'll feel so full you wont want to act on those cravings. thats the best i've got. i dont have TOM anymore since i got on a certain pill which is a godsend. lol
  • jlpostill
    jlpostill Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Little by little I have been reducing the amount I eat when I give in to these cravings. I'm interested to see what others have been doing in this respect.
  • jlpostill
    jlpostill Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh AND for me I force myself to log it all honestly. If I'm going to eat it I need to log it or nothing will change for me.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I have cravings and just want to EAT during that time period. Luckily, though, I don't lose my motivation to work out, even though I'm REALLY tired. Drives me crazy. I don't even need a calendar now to know when I'm about to start.
  • cmacohio1975
    cmacohio1975 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I made chocolate pumpkin cupcakes Sunday because of PMS, gave in to my craving and ate one with some berries, the cupcake only amounts to 89 calories, so I didn't feel too guilty. :)
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Not that it justifies over eating, but your body actually burns a little extra calories during your period. That being said, I always give myself a 100 calories allowance. Let me explain.....I don't GIVE myself 100 calories each day, BUT! It's kind of my limit if I'm having PMS and cravings. I give myself that 100 calories for anything I'm craving and that's it! It's usually true that if you try to mask/cover up cravings with something else, you are usually more prone to want that more so indulge a little but don't go overboard. I know that is the hardest part since you said you can't stop, but maybe if you treat it like a mini game/goal, you will stick more to it and make it more fun that you'll forget what you were craving to begin with. :-)

EDIT: hey! This was my 400th post! WIN!!! lol!
  • lbrittenson
    lbrittenson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, so I try to eat little bits of whatever I'm craving so I don't end up binging on huge amounts of crap. I make my husband order something I want and eat a bite, and then he gets the rest. He eats all day and doesn't gain a thing, and even loses weight, so he doesn't mind;)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfest or eat light all day and eat big at night...this is how i do it, meal timing and stuff means nothing your body doesnt care when or how much you eat at what time...Long as you put in less food then your body needs to run you will lose weight simple as that

That is a good idea. The issue for me is I feel impelled to also eat my healthy foods those days so end up going way over with dealing with the cravings on top. I generally get an 2500-2800 allowance per day with my exercise so I could easily make that work and have my little binge at my TOM without too bad an impact.
  • vonsay
    Options
    What I'm trying to do is to stay within my calorie range even if all 1280 cals come from junk food. Maybe that will help me to not be setback. I hope it hurrys up and comes because once it does my appetite is great again. I didn't eat a lot of junk the past month so I thought I wouldn't have cravings. Ha!