Help! net calories below 900? :(

Options
First off, let me say that I am eating at LEAST 1,500 calories per day. That being said, I burn off around 600 calories per day through exercise which is bringing my "net calories" to around 900. That seems really bad to me, or maybe I just don't understand this whole "net calories" thing...is it bad? I think I should be eating that 600 calories back but the problem is that eating 1500 calories a day satisfies me and I have no desire to eat an additional 600 calories. Should I be eating bigger meals? I already eat about 5 times a day so I'm just confused. Help?

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    First off, let me say that I am eating at LEAST 1,500 calories per day. That being said, I burn off around 600 calories per day through exercise which is bringing my "net calories" to around 900. That seems really bad to me, or maybe I just don't understand this whole "net calories" thing...is it bad? I think I should be eating that 600 calories back but the problem is that eating 1500 calories a day satisfies me and I have no desire to eat an additional 600 calories. Should I be eating bigger meals? I already eat about 5 times a day so I'm just confused. Help?

Are you getting your exercise calorie info from MFP estimations or heart rate monitor?
  • sunflowerfaith
    Options
    Heart rate monitor!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    This site overestimates calorie burn for exercise. In gerenal studies show that exercise machines overestimate calorie burn by up to 60 precent!! So I am careful about eating my exercise calories back. I think if you feel good and are seeing results, you should stick to what you are doing!!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This site overestimates calorie burn for exercise. In gerenal studies show that exercise machines overestimate calorie burn by up to 60 precent!! So I am careful about eating my exercise calories back. I think if you feel good and are seeing results, you should stick to what you are doing!!

Ditto!
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you to eat them back or not eat them back. That's up to you- if you feel good and are seeing results, keep doing what you're doing. If not,try something else.

What exercises are you doing to burn so many calories? I'd love to burn 600 in one day... but I'd have to run non-stop for over an hour, and that doesn't sound very fun.
  • sunflowerfaith
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you to eat them back or not eat them back. That's up to you- if you feel good and are seeing results, keep doing what you're doing. If not,try something else.

What exercises are you doing to burn so many calories? I'd love to burn 600 in one day... but I'd have to run non-stop for over an hour, and that doesn't sound very fun.

Well, seeing that I need to lose 100+ pounds it's easier for my body to burn calories. I walk at a brisk pace for anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half with many, many hills.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor!

Hmm... Try to add more calorie dense food like nuts or peanut/almond butter. Even one tablespoon of PB or a handful of nuts will help you. On a piece of bread or maybe with a banana. One or two snacks like this will solve the problem.
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Well, seeing that I need to lose 100+ pounds it's easier for my body to burn calories. I walk at a brisk pace for anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half with many, many hills.

Mmm... long walks. Love em! :)

If you're concerned about your intake being too low, do as xarge suggested and add in calorie-dense foods. I love nuts/nut butters, especially since they're packed with protein. Sometimes if I'm having a hard time meeting my intake, I'll eat a whole avocado-- that's 250 right there! On days when you know you'll be exercising, maybe add more calories throughout the day?

Again, if you feel good eating 1500 and burning 600, keep on doing it. You know your body better than I do. :)
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I have 1880 to eat each day and I struggle to the point of forcing myself and even then I only get to 1300-1500. Yesterday was the first day I made it and it was only because I had 2 chocolate biscuits (200 cals) and an egg on grainy bread after exercise.
    I can burn up to 1300 cals on a day of exercise and as long as I hit 1500 of food cals I'm pretty ok. If I get hungry after training I'll eat an egg or some lean chicken or maybe a protein bar/shake because it's what my body needs.
    Sometimes that means I'm only netting 200-500 cals.
    *shrug* as long as you feel ok and aren't going over your net it shouldn't matter.
    Try and get some good clean protein to support your muscles though.