Subway

Options
shm1289
shm1289 Posts: 102 Member
What do you guys normally order from Subway and what kind of bread do you get? I love wheat bread but can't stand Subway's so I'm trying to figure out what's the next best in terms of being healthy.

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think honey oat actually has more fiber....
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually get the honey oat bread which has 5 grams of fiber and 9 grams of protein for a 6" bread. I usually just get the turkey breast sub with light mayo and mustard, but there are several decent choices there.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The honey oat bread is tastier than the whole wheat - so I agree with the above that it is a better choice both nutritionally and taste-wise.
    I like the sweet onion chicken teriyaki. It seems to be one of the better choices there....
    Great, now I am SOOOO hungry for Subway!!! :wink:
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I get the regular Italian bread because it has the least amount of calories. I love subway, I even had a meatball sub (with added tomatos, onion, bell pepper, banana pepper, and hot peppers) for lunch today :) I load up on the veggies and ask for no cheese no matter what kind of sub I get. Their salads are actualy a good alternative if you don't like bread.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    honey oat all the way!
  • shm1289
    shm1289 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll have to try the honey oat next time I go to Subway, which I'm guessing will be soon because talking about it is making me crave it!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Unless they changed it since I worked there...which, granted, has been a few years...the specialty breads are just white or wheat breads rolled in different stuff. Also, the wheat was not whole wheat...the white actually was lower in calories. I haven't checked into the nutritional info for quite some time though, so take this with a grain of salt.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    How about just ordering a salad? :flowerforyou: I like the honey oat, myself, but my son loves to get the flatbread. I think there is a lot of sodium in the breads...
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Spicy Italian is my favorite sub, and I actually found an entry in the MFP database for a 6" spicy italian on wheat with provolone, lettuce, black olives, pickles, chipotle sauce, and mustard for under 500 calories. It was really good. I do like their wheat bread, though; if you don't, go with the honey oat or just don't eat whatever bread you get. Saves you calories! :)
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    There is an app (for android, i think) where you can build your own sub, and it will give you the nutritional info. Subway Tuna is advertised as being made with light mayo, but depending on who makes it, it could be full fat. Portions are also a little off with most stuff.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I get the regular italian, too, because it's lower calories. I love the flatbread, but Subway breads are not the healthiest, I rarely go there anymore, I get either turkey & black ham or the roast beef - both with only one piece of white american cheese.
  • amswanson3
    amswanson3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Each subway has little pamphlets with the nutritional information of all of their food. You can always check out the differences in bread and see what would work best for you.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love the honey oat also - I get a veggie delight - no cheese slices, with lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, cucumber, extra vinegar, parmesan, and oregano - YUM!
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    Spicy Italian is my favorite sub, and I actually found an entry in the MFP database for a 6" spicy italian on wheat with provolone, lettuce, black olives, pickles, chipotle sauce, and mustard for under 500 calories. It was really good. I do like their wheat bread, though; if you don't, go with the honey oat or just don't eat whatever bread you get. Saves you calories! :)

That sandwich has 630 calories.
  • ubuntufav
    Options
    meatball marana with peper jack cheese and banana peppers, japs, and parm cheese on the italian cheese bread. My fav
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i get a veggie on flatbread,, delish!!
  • cdmyers6
    cdmyers6 Posts: 10
    Options
    Not that I don't love Subway (I worked there for 2 years!) But I LOVE Jimmy John's because you can get an "Unwich!" I'm not sure if you've ever had it but it's like your sandwich wrapped in lettuce instead of bread. It's so yummy!! And since you are cutting so many cals from losing the bread, you can still indulge in whatever meat, cheese, and condiments you like =] (though mayo packs an extra 100 cals!)
  • janamcb
    janamcb Posts: 1
    Options
    I get turkey on honey oat and I like to add 2 strips of bacon for 45 calories -- lots of extra flavor. Light mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and banana peppers. Yum!!!
  • kymberli26
    Options
    I do work there and the honey oat is just wheat bread rolled in toppings. The white is lower in calories, as is the case for most white to wheat. But the wheat bread actually has nutritional value as the white does not.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I did eat there last year when they came out with a gluten free bread. It was so hard I couldn't finish it. I was scared I'd chip a tooth. They can make any kind of sandwich into a salad if you ask. I can't eat bread so I've done that before, it turns out huge.