what would you do in the DC area?

Options
sz8soon
sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
Headed to the DC area with the family at the end of next week.

What are the absolute must see, don't miss or you'll regret it types of things to do?

11 yr old son fascinated by history
3 yr old daughter who couldn't care less

Visiting family so I'm sure they will have an idea of things to do but they haven't been there all that long and I don't want them to have to plan out an entire itinerary for us. B.i.l hooked us up with a tour of the Pentagon and capitol, figured we'd do the Lincoln memorial, Washington monument, white house, those normal touristy things, but what else?

Replies

• Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Smithsonian, especially the History Museums. Your son will never forgive you if you don't go and from what I remember there are parts that are super kid friendly that your daughter will enjoy. Plus, free admission!
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Of course the Smithsonian museums are a great (and free) activity. You might want to make pick one or two because you could spend months before seeing all the neat things in all the museums.

Grab a Capital Bikeshare bike (stations are all over) and ride around the Mall & Tidal Basin. If you are looking for a slightly longer ride, rent a bike from Bike & Roll and hit the Mount Vernon trail or C&O Canal towpath. Lots of cool things to see there.

My favorite time to see the monuments is at night. No crowds & its much cooler (and prettier). The Lincoln is my fav.

If you get a chance, catch a Nats game at the stadium.

Grab a copy of the City Paper(free) to find out what smaller events might be going on that you'll want to see/do.
  • sz8soon
    Options
    Thanks ladies!

Katie I had no idea about the bike option, that sound like a ton of fun!
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The old post office clock tower is a must, the botanical garden is amazing. Just be really careful what areas you go in at night. I live near by DC and if you have any questions about traveling/metrorail or getting around feel free to PM me
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Your kids will love the American history, and the natural history is outstanding. The air and space museum is very cool too!
  • sz8soon
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    SPY MUSEUM!!!

You do have to pay to get in, but it's so fun! I live here and it still never gets old! :)
  • poshcouture
    Options
    I loved the National Zoo and the Smithsonian. It's been years since I last went to either, but best part of my trip hands down. Oh and if you like shopping...may I suggest Pentagon City?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I live 1 hour away from DC and there are tons of things to do.

Go to Washingtonpost.com for ideas.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    DC Native. I've pretty much got "taking friends from outside DC around the city" down to a science.

Early morning, head to the FDR Memorial. Take a cab up to Paul bakery up on 9th Street NW and relax and enjoy breakfast and people watching right off of the Mall. About three blocks up [F and 7th] is the National Portrait Gallery. Walk over there...it should be about ten-thirty now. If you're only going to walk one wing, pick the President's wing on the second floor. You're with the family, so you can have fun learning as well as playing the 'Which President Had the Best Facial Hair' game [hint: It's Chester A. Arthur].

It's now about one or two. The kids are a little pooped, but there's so much of DC to see. Walk or cab down F Street to 15th and F and go to W Hotel. Take the elevator to the rooftop, POV Terrace, and have yourself a Pimm's Cup and your husband can enjoy a Godfather while you look at the entirety of DC around you. Oh, you can see Sasha and Malia playing in their White House bedroom through the window? Yeah, it's a good spot. [Keep in mind that you're with your kids and your at a bar. Don't let them run around and be respectful].

By now, it's mid-afternoon and you've explored a museum, seen a monument, and appreciated the wonderment of the city's architecture without standing in lines or appearing too touristy. It's the end of the summer, these are the weeks where people try to cram in memories so that the kids have something to tell their classmates when they are back at school. So skip the zoo and the kids exhibits and have a lovely experience rife with culture.

It's probably about time for you to head back to your family's place or hotel room now, drop of the kids, and prepare for an evening on the town. That's where the memories of DC are made anyways.
    -wtk

Postscript: For restaurant recommendations throughout the DC Metropolitan area, PM me [and include price range].
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    With a child you definatly have to see the air and space museum and the spy museum. The zoo would be great too! Just make sure you bring light clothes, plenty of sun screen and comfortable shoes! It has been 90+ most days with high humidity in this area so be prepared. If you have the time and want to get out of the city for a day you can head over to the Solomons Island or Chesapeake Beach area. Nice areas to walk around, dip your toes in the water, or go fishing. Enjoy your visit!
  • sz8soon
    Options
    Great tips! Thanks! I'm excited. I used to live in Cheaspeake VA when I was little, but don't remember crap, other than the humidity and it always feeling sticky. Visited Boston about 9 years ago in July and rember it pretty humid there too.