Tattoos && Weight loss

Options
Hi Everyone (:
I was wondering if any of you experienced a lot of weight loss while having tattoos and how much they shrink in different areas.
I wanted to get a chest tattoo but I was worried of the outcome once I reached goals like 100lbs and more even. Pictures advice would be much appreciated!

xx ciao

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Have you read the posts on what happens to people's skin when they lose (or gain) a lot of weight?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't think they'd be too bad. I went from just over 200 to 170 in about 2 months, and i didn't notice a difference in any of mine. 30 lbs is a bit different than 100 though, but I'll find out soon enough I hope =D
  • tsuma
    tsuma Posts: 7
    Options
    I would suggest waiting until you're pretty close to you're goal weight before getting any large or visible pieces. The changes in your body size and the way your skin "fits" could dramatically alter the way your tattoo looks once you've lost a significant amount of weight. It would really suck to spend the time and money on a tattoo and have it end up not looking good. I would be most concerned about it becoming saggy or being disproportional.
  • ElayeRoss
    ElayeRoss Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should wait and use the tattoo as a reward. That's my plan...I already know exactly what I want, but I'm not going to get it until I'm down 100 pounds. It's incentive and reward.
  • kaileykill
    Options
    Maybe you should wait and use the tattoo as a reward. That's my plan...I already know exactly what I want, but I'm not going to get it until I'm down 100 pounds. It's incentive and reward.

PERFECT!! Motivation for me (:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you've lost the weight. Everyone is different. The tattoo parlor will still be around next year!

What a sensible suggestion!
  • saford10
    saford10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would say that it depends on where you get your tattoo. However on the chest I think I would wait and let that be your reward for your goal weight loss.

I am going to get a tattoo on my forearm once my weight is between 180-190. It will be the number 220 with two lines through it to remind me to never get to that weight again. It will be my daily visual of what not to do in life again.
  • khall9228
    Options
    I haven't really noticed a big difference honestly. Cause even though ur losing weight, ur hopefully replacing that space the fat occupied with muscle so overall the change shouldn't be dramatic
  • MerBear1FL
    Options
    My tattoo artists said that there shouldn't be much change to the tattoo with 100 lb weight gain or loss. I have a complete side tattoo...I hope she is right!
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have 2 roses on my left ribcage area and the stem goes down to my hip bone. I've had it for about 4 years now. It's been through 2 pregnancies and 80lbs of weightloss. It still looks great! Never stretched or anything with the pregnancies and doesn't look saggy or difficult to see the detail now. I think it's far enough over on my side that it thankfully has not been affected! :) go for it!
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the same thing, so right now I only have tattoos in places that won't change much with my weight loss - wrists, ankle, shoulder blade, etc. I agree with using it as incentive. My tattoo on my right wrist was a reward to myself for losing 100 lbs. :)