Please Criticize and Improve my Grocery List!

Options
What could I have done differently? Would it have been cheaper if i hadn't gone to target?

Unsalted Raw Almonds
Turkey Sandwich Meat (Oscar Meyar)
Turkey Burgers
Celery
Raspberries
Blueberries
Light Olive Oil
Bananas
Skim Milk
4 Yoplait Light Yogurt
Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast
Mixed Veggie Pack

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Unsalted Raw Almonds
    4 Yoplait Light Yogurt

Two would be my two to criticize. I think your yogurt choice have added sugars. It's coming up with a too high carb content compared to regular plain yogurt.

And if you like walnuts, spare the cash for some of the almonds and go for walnuts. Whereas almonds are good, no nuts beat walnuts on omega 3 front.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Turkey Sandwich Meat (Oscar Meyar) = lunch meat is bad XD normally way to much sodium
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    nix the flavored yogurt and "light crap" also the lunchmeats are likely loaded with sodium. and where is your serving of fish? 3x a week at least for those omegas! :) (i love fish)
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    also, not sure where you live but i recently discovered that trader joes is usually cheaper when it comes to "clean" foods.
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    I agree, take out the yogurt and the lunch meat. The yogurt is full of sugar and lunch meat is very high in sodium. Instead opt for plain greek yogurt and add in your own fresh fruit. It's much lower in sugar and a lot higher in protein. Also, if you are a wrap/sandwhich kind cook a whole turkey or chicken breast in the slow cooker and then slice it thin. That way it's not pressed meat and it's a lot lower in sodium and will keep you more full.

I would also add in dry beans, brown rice, cottage cheese, eggs, and oats.
  • Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Replace the yogourt with cottage cheese. Cottage cheese goes great with the fruits you buy as well!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Like the others, I would get rid of the yogurts and lunch meat. I would also get rid of the turkey burgers.

Buy a tub of plain Greek yogurt instead - its great with fruit, as a mayo substitute, in smoothies...the possibilities are endless. Maybe instead of the turkey burgers try boneless pork chops...they are cheap and you can do a lot with them.

I would try shopping somewhere else if you are wanting it to be cheaper...target is always a little more pricey compared to other grocery stores.
  • arzoor
    arzoor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try Fage Greek Yogurt..I usually have it as part of morning breakfast with berries. YUM!
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Unsalted Raw Almonds-Good
    Turkey Sandwich Meat (Oscar Meyar)-Switch to Boars Head brand (they don't use nitrates to preserve)
    Turkey Burgers-Buy lean ground turkey meat and make the patties yourself to save sodium
    Celery-Good
    Raspberries-Great
    Blueberries-Perfect
    Light Olive Oil-Try cooking spray to cut down on calories and fat even more
    Bananas-Yummm
    Skim Milk-Good!
    4 Yoplait Light Yogurt-I prefer Chobani for the higher protein and they don't use chemicals to sweeten
    Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast-Stock up!
    Mixed Veggie Pack-Frozen? Great!

17495672.png
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good! I suggest going with NON PROCESSED meats- buy turkey breast and slice it. WAY better for you. Also the yogurt- I take plain yogurt and mix my own fruit in- in any case be sure there is no high fructose corn syrup.

Simplicity Medly is one of my favorite raw nut products...

Good job!!:flowerforyou:
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    More veggies, preferably raw as opposed to frozen, though frozen is much better than canned. If you think they will go bad or something before you eat them, then frozen is fine. Also, yoplait has a crap ton of sugar in it as far as yogurts go. Opt for a plain flavor (Greek is higher in protein and active cultures) and add your own fruit. If you buy the turkey breast don't eat it every day. Loaded wth sodium, nitrates and is ulra processed. If you want turkey you are better off to buy a whole real turkey breast. Cut like a quarter of it off for the fridge and freeze the rest. Slice as necessary. Oh, and did I mention more veggies? LOTS more veggies!
  • marienaegele
    marienaegele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try soymilk and soyyogurt insteadt of normal dairy products, they cost about the same and have almost 1/3 less calories and the soyproteins keep you full for longer ;) I am vegan so i discovered that ''by accident'' if i eat some soy yogurt in the morning im full very quickly and stay full for quite a long time. Hope i could help :)