Want to exercise but not bulk up

Options
Hi all,

Really need some advice, I lost a 10kg and was 52kgs about a year and a half ago and now I am 62.5kg not as big as I was (I think a lot more of it is muscle now) but I really want to drop back down to around 55kgs. Everytime I exercise I feel like I am bulking up and not getting anywhere. What do you think I should do?

I stick to 1200 calories a day and I was running and doing ab work most days. Still not shifting weight and its been a month.

Pleaseeee helppppp!

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat too much.
  • amielouisebooth
    Options
    How many calories would you recommend? I feel 1200 is even hard to stick too
  • victoria4321
    Options
    It depends on your size right now. 1200 could be fine for some and too low for others. Just input your height, weight, how fast you want to lose, then follow that.

I know a lot of people don't go by what mfp recommends but its not that bad of an estimate. Especially when people overestimate their intake more often than not.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Do what this post says, and see how much you should be eating. Chronically undereating can be detrimental to weight loss: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=Road+map

Also, it is virtually impossible to gain muscle eating at a deficit.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat too much.

This is not great advice. I would say you aren't eating enough. As a woman, you lack the testosterone to really bulk up. Try doing some heavy lifting in place of all the cardio, and stick to eating more for at least a month to 6 weeks and see what happens.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Skip the scale, what is the tape measure telling you?
  • TravisRichardson
    Options
    Instead of lifting heavy reverse it. I.E. you do low reps at heavy weight to get bulky and build mass. Do low weights but more reps and you'll get "cut" and drop body fat and lean out. Good luck
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Just don't eat too much.

This is not great advice. I would say you aren't eating enough. As a woman, you lack the testosterone to really bulk up. Try doing some heavy lifting in place of all the cardio, and stick to eating more for at least a month to 6 weeks and see what happens.

How do you know that? She didn't give any info on her stats, for all you know she could be a 5'0 and 110lb couch potato. 1200 calories net would be fine to lose weight then.

When I said don't eat to much I was referring to eating below whatever calorie level makes you gain weight.

(I wasn't accusing the OP of anything btw, I'm just using those numbers as an example)
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Don't inject yourself with male hormones. Problem solved.

Don't starve yourself.

You can't spot reduce fat by just focusing on abs.

I think those three things pretty much cover it.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat too much.

How do you know that? She didn't give any info on her stats, for all you know she could be a 5'0 and 110lb couch potato. 1200 calories net would be fine to lose weight then.

When I said don't eat to much I was referring to eating below whatever calorie level makes you gain weight.

(I wasn't accusing the OP of anything btw, I'm just using those numbers as an example)

I meant that it's not good advice as in it's not really helpful, nor does it really provide any guidance.

Yes, she very well could be 5'0, but she isn't 110lbs, she's around 137...so 1200 isn't really a good number for her. There are lots of opinions on this.

She also mentioned that she does run and do ab work, so I don't think she is a couch potato.
    There are groups of people who can do 1200, but they are the minority (at least that's what I have found)

I did 1200 for the first few months I was on here, and didn't exercise at all. Once I started doing that, there was no way I could stay at 1200.

From what I have learned here, and noticed other people posting as advice, that most people do better and achieve better results from eating between their TDEE and BMR. I could be wrong, but I know it's worked for me, I've lost over 50lbs.

But to each their own. Good luck either way!
  • amielouisebooth
    Options
    Sorry I should have been more specific - I am 167cm's tall - size 8 (aus) and 62.5kgs with 19.1% body fat

Ideally I would like to get down to Size 6 (aus) and 55kgs