Looking for fellow ladies with PCOS

Options
Hi! I'm 32 and a mom of 2 one is adopted because I have PCOS I know its harder for us to loose weight because of this and was wondering if there are others out there with this trouble...Just thought we could be a support to each other!!! Not letting PCOS get me down!!!

Replies

• OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hey. I sent you a friend request.

I was diagnosed a few months back with PCOS. I have horrible horrible symptoms. The ONLY good thing about my pcos is no cycle...haha Anyway, I'm done having kids, thank goodness - because for me it isn't affecting my fertility. However, because I AM done with having kids, my doctor won't "cure" me. He says he normally only cures women who are trying to get pregnant. It pi$$e$ me off really. I mean, sure I'm not trying to get pregnant but I still have allll the other symptoms that make life a living hell sometimes for me...the lack of periods...this may seem like an okay thing but when it does come, every 5 months, it's extemely painful. Also, my body produces more testosterone than my female hormones so I have all the gross hair growth in places a woman shouldn't. All of this causes major depression in me...I mean, what woman wants to have hairy nipples? sigh....

Anyway...sorry for the rant...
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    I totally understand !!! We are done with our family too, but the drs just give me THE PILL and say sorry there is nothing else we can do!!! Grrr I recently went to a weight loss Dr for a little advice and any way when I told him I had PCOS he said that was the cause of all my weight loss frusterations!!!
  • drivefstfighthrd
    Options
    Is there no hope then? I was diagnosed a year ago.. I want kids, but my cycle has been either extremely heavy and lasting forever, or I don't have one forever. It's been like this since I was 15. I've always wanted kids and I've always wanted my weight to be down. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't thin like my little sister.. Now I know why, and I keep hearing I'll never have kids.. This is even more depressing..
    My Dr. just wanted me on the pill, and he told me to pray...
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    Is there no hope then? I was diagnosed a year ago.. I want kids, but my cycle has been either extremely heavy and lasting forever, or I don't have one forever. It's been like this since I was 15. I've always wanted kids and I've always wanted my weight to be down. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't thin like my little sister.. Now I know why, and I keep hearing I'll never have kids.. This is even more depressing..

Many women with PCOS have children. Some need a little help with metformin and chlomid. Other's conceive with no problem at all. Don't let all the negative stories get you down as there are many positive ones too.

I have 3 children all conceived with no problem at all.

Losing weight has been a battle but I have found the right balance of diet and exercise that works for my body now and the pounds are melting away!

Keep a positive attitude!!!
  • olauralexie0916
    Options
    Wow.. this is alarming..what are the symptoms..I have always had irregular periods and painful pelvic pain i have cysts on both ovaries and 2 fiborids and was told i may not be able to have children either.. BUT have never been diagnosed with anything just the cysts and a ovarian cancer scare a couple years ago... a possible diagnosis of endemeterosis but they dr. said it couldnt be confirmed without surgery. =/ SOO im wondering if this could be what i have.
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOD... which is the precursor to PCOS from what I've read. I'm on metformin (recently put on this) and birthcontrol (been on this since I was 16, now 24). It scares me sometimes... all the problems associated with it :(
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Theres tons of us on here scattered around. :) hi!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

My doctor was the opposite! She put me on the pill (after asking if I was trying to conceive any time soon and I said no!) and she told me TONS of people with PCOS have kids and that when the time is right for me to go back to her and we'd work on a plan with other medications if I couldn't naturally conceive. She told me it wasn't a big deal and that tons of women have it. It makes me so sad your doctor was so negative. Stay positive! I've always wanted kids and I'm not going to let this stop me. <3
  • missattitude57
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS this past April. My sister has it too but her symptoms are much more significant than mine. I don't get my period very often, every other month or so but its just normal in terms of length and intensity. I've been overweight my whole life and started getting the lovely hair growth in unfortunate places in my late teens. My doctor didn't put me on any medication since I'm not really having any bad symptoms other than not getting pregnant yet. I've got another appointment in October so fingers crossed! I'm hoping to continue with my 2lbs a week weight loss so I can surprise my doctor with over a 40lb loss since my last appointment :)
  • amanda6389
    amanda6389 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's me! I was diagnosed because my sister was diagnosed when she wanted to have a baby. They say it's hereditary... booo. And it's so hard to to lose weight! But, since I'm only 23, I know I want kids someday, so I guess now is a good time to start losing allllll that weight I need to lose. My starting weight was 291 in January of 2011. I did weight watchers for a bit and lost 30 pounds and got so frustrated with it I quit, gained ten pounds and now here I am an additional 20 pounds lighter at 238! So i figure if I make myself accountable for what I have to eat and know that I am NOT going to lose weight as fast as everyone else, I can be happy moving in the right direction!

I always tell my boyfriend, "I have the hips for birthing, just not the ovaries... not yet!" (I know losing weight won't affect my ovaries, but it will make it easier to get pregnant... someday :D )

Good luck to all of us!
  • Bondgirlforever
    Bondgirlforever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have thought that I have had PCOS (or PCOD) for at least three years now. I finally found a Doctor to work with me when I moved out to LA in February and she confirms that I do have PCOS.

She actually just confirmed (after tests and what not) that I do have PCOS and she said that either she could put me on Metformin or I could do a low-carb lifestyle.

So, i chose the latter! I have been *thinking* about losing weight for about 5 years and since the 20th of July I have actually committed my life to getting healthier. 5 lbs down and still going! Although, now I will be following the Atkins plan (for the most part).

Please feel free to add me! I have done a lot of research on PCOS and the low-carb lifestyle and would love to share anything I have learned! (no, I am not a doctor, trainer, or nutritionist. I have common sense and hopefully you do as well!! :D)

Best of luck!
  • skinnyforseptember
    Options
    I'm 18 and I've literally just been diagnosed with PCOS. It honestly sucks majorly.
    Plus the fact that I'm going for umpteen blood draws and scans to rule out cancer. Ugh, I was hoping it wasn't going to affect my school year, but oh well.
    Anyway, has anyone here been diagnosed with diabetes associated with PCOS too? Because my OB/GYN is fairly sure I have that as well, and she's sending me for glucose/insulin tolerance testing. Which will, once again, suck.
    Sighs. Well, at least I know there are others out there going through the same thing.

Hugs to all~
    Kat (◕‿◕✿)
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    Im 23 and have pcos. We've been trying to get pregnant fir 2 years. I feel like my weight might be an issue. I'm 5'4 and 227 as of today. Trying to lose as much as 90 pounds. I would love to be friends with anyone who is going through the same thing. I need motivation and support.
  • quzanne
    quzanne Posts: 15
    Options
    When I was diagnosed, simply because of how heavy I was, my Dr. said I was on my way to becoming diabetic. So she had me cut out refined sugars and eat healthier carbs.

Six years later, I've been seeing a new doc that doesn't think I have it, so she took me off Metformin a year ago and I've gained 20-30lbs. Waiting to see my doc again so I can discuss this with her - terribly frustrated!!!!!
  • kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    So thankful I found this thread. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 25 right after I got married in 2001. My husband and I wanted to start a family right away and knew it wouldn't be easy. Well, 4 1/2 years later after taking Metformin and Femara and having several IUI's I had my oldest daughter in 2005. Then 6 years later had my youngest daughter in 2011, again with the help of meds and IUI. So, no it's not hopeless, you can still have children with PCOS. It just may require tracking cycles with basal body temp, ovulation kits, many dr visits as well as meds. It all depends on how mild or severe your symptoms are. Now that my family is complete, it's now time for me to focus on ME. I need to get this weight off. I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and taking insulin injections was horrible, so I need to get this weight off to help prevent getting type II diabetes in the future, which is an even greater possibility with PCOS.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just saw this! I just posted a topic about this today wish I saw this first! I am really iffy about trying the meds. I already had a miscarriage so I know when I want a family I am going to have to consider them but do you think the meds are worth taking?