Beetroot recipes!

Options
I absolute *love* beetroot.

The problem is that I don't know many recipes that use it so I mainly end up using it in sandwiches (unless I just eat it out of the tin).

I usually buy the tinned slices, but that being said, I'm open to learning how to cook it or eating it raw (can you eat it raw?)

So, does anyone have any awesome recipes involving beetroot?!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beets. I usually make them by buying them whole and putting them in the crock pot on low overnight. We eat them hot or cold - just plain. My kids love them

Tonight we had them with a few capers and drizzled the juice of them.

YESTERDAY we took raw beets and jicama, shredded both and added balsamic vinegar for a salad. You can also shred them with cabbage and mix with vinegar and mayo (or just vinegar and dill) for cole slaw.

I have a really nifty salad with cold sliced beets and oranges with slices of red onion (very lovely color mix) with a vinagrette.

To quote Star Trek: Beets are a very misunderstood vegetable.
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love making beetroot, sweetcorn, tomato, red onion and bean mix salad! Just dice up the onion, beetroot and tomato and mix through with the corn and beans.
    I love a scoop of this with tuna on top! YUM!
    Beetroot is also good on pizza with marinated goat cheese feta and chargrilled red peppers! Mmmmmmm.......
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    At my restaurant, we roast the beets, then finish them off with ricotta cheese and salsa verde and sliced almonds,,.sooooo good!
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    (bookmarking)
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I hear there is a really good recipe for beetroot and chocolate cake, my mom made it for me once... best.cake.ever.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Beets are my favorite and I am constantly surprsed by the number of people who despise them. What's to hate? Anyway, I only use fresh ones. I boil or roast them whole (don't peel them before cooking or you will lose that lovely pigment!), THEN peel them, and eat them as they are. I also like them pickled. Be prepared, however. If you are used to eating them from a can. When you use them fresh, your urine turns a lovely shade of pink, which can be utterly terrifying if you forgot what you ate for dinner the night before. The deep violet of your poop is a wonderful and horrifying reminder as well.

I, uh, heard that from a friend.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Buy them fresh and use the root and greens both! Slice or quarter the root (after a good scrub); chop the greens coarsely; Chop or slice onion and other veggies, if you like. Add a little salt & pepper or other seasonings. Saute' the whole works in a drizzle of olive oil. That, along with the residual moisture on them from washing, will wilt the greens and cook the root. Very low cal, very good!
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love to peel fresh beets, under cool running water, dice into cubes, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven on a foil lined tray at 400 until tender. They get this lovely crisped edge and tender middle.

My favorite way to eat roasted beets is in a salad. Take cubed turkey breast and a handful of walnuts, toss onto the baking tray in the last few minutes of roasting your beets to warm through. When the beets are done and the turkey and nuts are hot, serve them on top of fresh spinach. I dress this salad with a mix of equal parts fresh lemon juice and real maple syrup. If you want to send it over the top add a dollop of goat cheese. Heavenly.
  • nxd10
    Options
    At my restaurant, we roast the beets, then finish them off with ricotta cheese and salsa verde and sliced almonds,,.sooooo good!

LOVE that idea.

It's also really good with Indian spices.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Beets are my favorite and I am constantly surprsed by the number of people who despise them. What's to hate? Anyway, I only use fresh ones. I boil or roast them whole (don't peel them before cooking or you will lose that lovely pigment!), THEN peel them, and eat them as they are. I also like them pickled. Be prepared, however. If you are used to eating them from a can. When you use them fresh, your urine turns a lovely shade of pink, which can be utterly terrifying if you forgot what you ate for dinner the night before. The deep violet of your poop is a wonderful and horrifying reminder as well.

I, uh, heard that from a friend.

Yes, I heard it from a friend too.

I remember the first time my toddler had this problem. Freak out!
  • Racheyj76
    Racheyj76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas I must remember this post.
  • Icedancer94
    Options
    Nigella Lawson's beetroot chutney. YUM.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Mmm - I used to think I didn't like beets, and then I tried cooking them. I think they're a good addition to a homemade pizza, and I usually peel and grate them (raw), toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and top my pizza with them. I've also grilled them with good results (I dressed them in a balsamic vinaigrette after they were done cooking), and I really enjoy beet latkes! Grate some beets with some onion, add some herbs, salt, and pepper, throw an egg in there, maybe some flour or arrowroot powder (if you're grain-free), and fry them up in a little bit of fat (I love the flavor that chicken fat gives them). It's killer!
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I like them roasted. Or as Russian beetroot soup (borscht). Lovely with a swirl of low fat greek yogurt or creme fraiche mixed with a bit of horseradish sauce.

The ones in the jar though - grim!
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I hear there is a really good recipe for beetroot and chocolate cake, my mom made it for me once... best.cake.ever.

Oh yeah.

Don't know if it was this one, but I've had chocolate beetroot cake - it's awesome.

http://www.marthastewart.com/857644/chocolate-beet-cake
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Not particularly calory friendly - but YUM!!!

BEETROOT & CHOCOLATE CAKE

Ingredients:

50g bitter cocoa powder
    180g plain flour
    1½tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    250g caster sugar
    300g cooked fresh beetroot
    3 eggs
    200ml corn oil
    1tsp vanilla extract

Method:

Heat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4.

Butter and flour an 18cm (7in) round or square cake tin.

Sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Mix in the sugar and set aside.

Purée the beetroot in a food processor. Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the corn oil and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the beetroot mixture into the well.

Lightly mix, using a rubber spatula, and pour into the prepared cake tin.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. It won’t rise a great deal and the top may crack a bit.

Allow to cool a little before removing from the tin, then leave to cool completely on a wire rack.

To serve, dust the cake with icing sugar or bitter cocoa powder, and cut into generous slices.
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love to peel fresh beets, under cool running water, dice into cubes, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven on a foil lined tray at 400 until tender. They get this lovely crisped edge and tender middle.

My favorite way to eat roasted beets is in a salad. Take cubed turkey breast and a handful of walnuts, toss onto the baking tray in the last few minutes of roasting your beets to warm through. When the beets are done and the turkey and nuts are hot, serve them on top of fresh spinach. I dress this salad with a mix of equal parts fresh lemon juice and real maple syrup. If you want to send it over the top add a dollop of goat cheese. Heavenly.

Wow -- that sound delish! I may even have to make a special trip out to get some beets and try that for supper tonight!! Share more recipes -- you must be a chef.
  • skirtlongjacket
    skirtlongjacket Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump. I LOVE beets, but I've only had them from a can or once when the neighbors pickled a jar. I order them at restaurants too, since the boyfriend would not tolerate them as a side dish for himself. I would like to learn more beet applications.
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i like to make a salad with sliced beets, chickpeas, sliced black olives, chopped celery and grape tomatoes. i use some light olive oil, lemon juice and a lot of salt and pepper to dress it. it's really good. when i have leftovers, i mix some tuna with it for lunch.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Can't believe no one has said beet chips yet! :tongue:

The trick is slicing them to an even thickness (invest in a nice mandolin slicer). Arrange neatly on a cookie sheet (use pam or other nonstick cooking spray!), and season with whatever you like (I prefer Nature's Seasoning blend). Bake at 350. I hesitate to specify for how long, because it really depends on how thick your slices are... mine usually end up taking 25-30 minutes, but keep an eye on them, they can go from chewy to charred pretty quickly lol