What am I doing wrong??

Options
I have 8 more lbs to go. My body is shrinking. Im working out regularly. The thing is...while Im smaller, my skin just looks dimply and fat. I work out 5-6 days a week (last week was an exception, I am having a bout of awful acid reflux. Im trying to keep with it but its really painful). I do different kinds of work outs to vary things up. I try to eat a lot of veggies and fruits. I do strength training. I do steady state cardio and intervals. I work HARD when I work out...I go hard and fast and always try to challenge myself.

I lost 40 lbs a few years back and I dont remember having this issue. I was in my 20's then...Im 31 now. I didnt have any kids in between...so why am I looking so...flabby all over? I know I have muscle tone...you can feel it and see hints of definition. Im covered in this lumpy layer of fat that isnt budging. Im feeling like 8 lbs isnt going to make a world of difference either. Help?

Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 31 and a layer of stubborn fat. I've been working out for nearly 10 years.

I now understand that I have to cut the crap sugar and get into heavier weights if I want to tighten up. You may also need more protein in your diet.
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I was worried someone would say that. lol. I like to do weights but I work a desk job and its tough for me to get in physical activity AND weights every day. I try 2-3 days a week to do resistance for my whole body and I make sure when I go to spin class I use a LOT of tension. DAMN GETTING OLD. lol
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Your diary is set private. No photos posted. I can just make some stuff up if you want.
  • jibbala
    Options
    That's not nice. Why do I need to post photos? Ill reset my diary.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Check out this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info on setting your goals, finding out how many calories you should be taking in to meet them. From looking at your diary for the past few days, I would say you may need to eat more. Not eating enough food to fuel your daily activity and workouts gives your body a reason to hang onto fat. Also makes me tired and grouchy. :tongue:

I have hit a couple of plateaus in my fitness journey, and wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I upped my calories a little and got better results, got stuck again, and went through that once or twice before I found that post I linked above - great info there with links to the tools I needed to get on the right track.

I'm 44, about 5'8" and about 137lbs - almost to my goal. But at this point, I'm more concerned with how I look in the mirror than with the number on the scale. Sounds like you are in a similar situation with only 8lbs to go. I eat around 1800 calories a day, and I try to never net below my BMR (around 1430), and the fat is coming off. Check it out - it's helped a bunch of people here at MFP. :smile:
  • jibbala
    Options
    Thank you. Ive been low the past few days due to my acid reflux flaring up..its herd go eat enough when your insides are on fire :( but in general...I need to eat more. Ive been very focused on dropping lbs. I recently reset my calorie intake higher to lose .5 lbs a week instead of 1 a week. I'm 142 right now and am shooting for 135 which puts me at a size 6. I know I can maintain this with a little work and attention. Id like to not look hideous in a bikini though.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Add strength training and eat more food. You are chronically undereating and your exercise seems to consist of mostly cardio. That is a recipe for burning through muscle and being "skinny-fat".
  • jibbala
    Options
    What would be enough strength training? I do strength training when I go to power yoga...when I do circuits I have weight sets involve. Do I need to get into lifting heavy? Do I swap cario days for weights?
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    What would be enough strength training? I do strength training when I go to power yoga...when I do circuits I have weight sets involve. Do I need to get into lifting heavy? Do I swap cario days for weights?

Heavy lifting will bring the best results. Somewhere around 3 days lifting, 3 days cardio/conditioning.