Family against weight loss?

Options
My family was happy when I decided to get healthier, but now they are saying I'm 'too skinny' and 'don't eat enough' and 'work out too often'. I slowed down a little bit and tried to make it seem like I'm eating more and working out less when around them, but it didn't help at all. They even got me diagnosed with an eating disorder! It can be so unmotivating and discouraging. Anybody else in this situation? Tips please?

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    While I for one definitely have an unsupportive family... you're 5'8" and a healthy weight on the BMI scale for you is 122 to 160-roughly. So, your goal is underweight... and you are very close to getting there now... Your family loves you. They are just looking out for your best.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Work on "eating to maintain" and have your doctor give you an ideal weight instead of taking it from a book or a "you should be this weight for this height". Then maintain that weight.
  • Steveisokay
    Options
    I am getting that from my mother saying that I am "half a son" and that I need to stop losing weight. I am 5' 11" and am 175LBS. I want to lose another 15LBS. I did weigh 244LBS and lost 70LBS before I found MFP. Just do what feels right to you and do not be discouraged by other people.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Often family and freinds have an image of you in thier head. The mental image of you is bound up with thier thoughts and feelings about you and thier idea of your personality. Often when people see you change physically they may worry about you changing in other ways and don't want that- they want the person they know and love to stay the same as the image of them they have. Maybe reassurance may help- or perhaps an activity that you used to do with them (obs not eating) may remind them that its just your body that has changed?

(okay, I know your mental attitude may have changed too- but deep down you are generally the same person)
  • cheyennetheeventer
    cheyennetheeventer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my GW from a book or any chart, I got it based on how I look, and how I want to look. Once I get there, I plan on gaining some back in muscle anyway!