birthday in a week! healthy cake recipes?

Options
so, i'm turning 23 next tuesday but i've been doing so good and feeling so great by eating clean that i don't even miss the sugary-treats or pastry anymore.. any tips on special meals / cake recipes that are healthy and birthday-appropriate?

thanks!

Replies

• mrsmark2010
    Options
    diet soda cupcakes. 1 cake mix, 1 can of diet soda, mix, cook according to package directions. Use sprite for light colored (strawberry, white, yellow) cakes and diet coke for darker mixes (chocolate, spice). No eggs, no oil, just the calories from the cake mix. can make a lighter frosting with light cream cheese, some splenda and optionally light cool whip to make it fluffier instead of more cream cheese frosting like.
  • susulani
    susulani Posts: 17
    Options
    go to lifetim.com and look up cake recipes on "cook yourself thin" they have great recipes!
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    1 cake mix and a can of soda... chocolate cake mix and diet dark-flavored sodas or vanilla and Diet Sprite, 7-Up, etc.
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    happy bday..mine is next wed
  • sydvenus
    sydvenus Posts: 12
    Options
    Or maybe brownies? 1 can of black beans with brownie mix in a blender cooked according to the box!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for a pimped out candy apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory instead of cake on my bday :)
  • mercymarque
    Options
    angel food cake and mix in crushed pineapples instead of the water.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    A go to fav of cake for me is Angel food cake and topped with crushed pineapple mixed with coolwhip...YUM!
    You can also do fresh blueberries/strawberries.... Happy early Bday :)
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had remade a chocolate cake recipe to bring down the cals, it turned out pretty good here is the link to the post if you want to try it.
    Use the fat free cool whip for topping too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680716-low-cal-chocolate-cake-80-cals

Mark
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    bump
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would say, paleo carrot cake hands down the best "healthy" cake I have had!
  • boreshagal
    Options
    Have you heard of Hungry Girl. She has fantastic recipes you can get right on line. :flowerforyou:
  • treasurebox1
    treasurebox1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have made a spice box cake with ONLY adding a can of pumpkin.. just made them into cupcakes (for portion control) each one was 83 cal. I just dusted them w/ powdered sugar*
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was totally craving a cupcake this weekend so I made a batch of "Soda Cake" that I found on here. 1 box Betty Crocker Chocolate cake mix (just the dry mix) and 12 oz diet A&W Rootbeer (nothing else, no eggs, oil, ect). They baked up nice and moist for 86 calories each (made 18 cupcakes) and I added some Lucerne Low-Fat French Vanilla Whipped Cream on top for another 30 calories (116 cals total).

I left the leftovers with my BF and he & his guy friends ate them tonight during camping trip planning and said they were still really moist and tasted liked homemade Ho-Ho's with the whipped cream on top, lol.
  • carmie12345
    Options
    substitute eggs with bananas. The cake will be a little dense but very moist!! Usually it is 1/4 cup mashed banana for each egg.
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    substitute eggs with bananas. The cake will be a little dense but very moist!! Usually it is 1/4 cup mashed banana for each egg.

I haven't heard of this before!!! AWESOME!!
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My mom always used to substitute apple sauce in for the oil in a cake recipe or boxed mix. It made it fluffy, and doesn't change the flavor. I use egg whites instead of the whole egg. It's also pretty easy to make a light glaze. I sometimes use that if I don't want icing.
  • libendai
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all your suggestions! Angel food cake with pineapple sounds yummy. I love blueberries, maybe I'll try it :) Cupcakes for portion-control is pretty clever too. Never heard of substituting eggs with bananas either! Pretty interesting..
  • Courage
    Courage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Double Chocolate Brownies
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 egg whites
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
    Butter-flavored cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch non-stick cake pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the mixture until it is just combined and no lumps remain. Pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chips evenly over the top. Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay).

Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool 5 minutes. Cut into 12 equal brownies. Makes 12 (1 brownie) servings.

Each brownie has: 88 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 133 mg sodium