anyone here paint?

Options
hey I'm working on a portfolio this year for art school. I'm taking a community college course to get started. I haven't done art for 3 years and figure it's time to get back and not let depression conquer me anymore. I want to start using oils since I love the results. What would you tell a beginner?

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Me!

What would I tell beginners.... Just paint! Art school will teach you the rules. There are many. But at the end of the day... You are the painter. Let The paint lead you.

Why oil? It's a little trickier to start with. Acrylic is a nice jump in point
  • patroleumjam
    Options
    "Why oil?"

I already established that

also thanks
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    A couple things I forgot when I didn't paint for a while.

1) paint with your arms, not your hands. Your arm needs to move from the elbow down, at least.

2) try to mix more colors than buy in a tube. They have paints for all sorts of colors, but learning to mi to get those colors helped me a lot.
  • crissunwoo
    Options
    I would tell a beginner to draw everyday and take a color theory class. Work on light and shade. It might not sound all that fun but it'll give you a good foundation.
  • Ackter
    Ackter Posts: 3
    Options
    I just draw online with Drawception.com

It's quick, fun and a good way to get your interest and enthusiasm back up for drawing.

And a post wouldn't be right without linking my own profile, of course: http://drawception.com/player/79454/ackter/
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Bah hell nevermind. LOL
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I would tell a beginner to draw everyday and take a color theory class. Work on light and shade. It might not sound all that fun but it'll give you a good foundation.

My husband is a professional artist, this is what he would say as well. He would also mention something about knowing perspective.

Edited to add: I also paint. I'm currently painting my bathroom cabinets.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Just do it. The results will come. Art is not something you forget how to do.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Just do it. The results will come. Art is not something you forget how to do.

Yus. You should be constantly working on your weaknesses and building on your strengths inside and outside the classroom.