Couch 2 5k

Options
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone tried this, and it actually works if you keep at it.

I normally don't run, but I want to slow myself into it. Right now it is so hard for me to do the first couple of lessons.

If anyone has does this, and gotten through it would love to hear about it!

Thanks,
Patty :happy:

Replies

• raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i'm about to start it too. I sprained my ankle, but as soon as it is better I want to start the c25k program. Do you know about the podcasts? There were music mixes created just for the program that tell you when to switch from walking to jogging and back.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I used it to get in shape 2 years ago and it was awesome. I stopped running after that and now I'm using a similar program to get back on it. C25k are awesome programs but the thing I love about tthem is that you don't have to progress every week to be considered "doing it right", You can stay on week 2 for several weeks if you feel not ready to move to the next week. (Like me right now, I've been working on week one for 2 weeks but added an incline to the treadmill to help with my stamina)

My sister in law used C25K and strength training to drop about 40lbs. She now does at least one 5k a month and is thinking about moving up to marathons.

If you want to get more you could try the book that I'm using. "Run your butt off!" (http://www.amazon.com/Run-Your-Butt-Off-Breakthrough/dp/1605294047) its by some people at runners world and I really love it. It had great tips about getting into running and how to progress. It also has extra stuff like testimonials from new runners and little things that I'd never have thought about (about shoes and clothes and eating and how to prep for your first 5k).

Start slow and take as much time as you need to progress. You can do it =D
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started it 3 weeks ago and am loving it. It helps that I signed up for the color run 5k right at the end of my program so I have to stick with it! Go for it!
  • Just1Kiki
    Just1Kiki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im on Day 2 of week 2. So far so good. I feel so energized while doing it, I want to keep running longer but I stick to the guidelines and its been going great!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes it does work. Stick with it.
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    i'm about to start it too. I sprained my ankle, but as soon as it is better I want to start the c25k program. Do you know about the podcasts? There were music mixes created just for the program that tell you when to switch from walking to jogging and back.

I downloaded the RunDouble app for android its free until week three and then it is $1.60, and you can listen to your music and it tells you when to run and walk.
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options

THANKS, I just run outside and I feel like an idiot running and walking!
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just started week seven today. I absolutely love the program. It has really showed me that I am a lot stronger than I think! It's more mental than physical for me, mentally I want to quit far sooner than my body does. Make sure you invest in some stuff to keep you comfortable, a good pair of shoes, socks that aren't cotton to avoid blisters, and proper clothing. The more comfortable you are, the less miserable it is getting started and the more likely you'll stick with it. I started to learn to run several times before I found C25K. It's the only thing that I stuck with! Good luck!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Week three day one tonight!

I use Run Double - I love it. I listen to my own music and that's fun. I've done it outside and indoors on the treadmill (in bad weather). I love both. RunDouble is nice - you can pick to do the sections by time or by distance. And it tells you when you are halfway, I like that too.

If you are struggling a little, I'll give you the best advice anyone gave me when I was struggling during the first week. It is okay to run "slowly". The pace should not be like you are trying to kill yourself. I was running like I was running from something - not good, you get tired too quickly. Now I run nice and slow and I no longer have to stop to catch my breath!
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 day 1 yesterday. I cannont belive that I ran for 5 minutes in a row!! The program for sure does work if you stick at it. A few things that others mentioned

1. Repeat weeks or do an extra day of a week if you feel you need to. I did 2 extra days of week 2 and week 3 and think this was really helpful for me.

2. Run slowly!! No way could l make it if I was running like I was trying to get away from the police or something!! :) I have to run a a slow steady pace.

3. Get the program on your iphone or droid. Run Double or Active.com both have cheap app's (under 2 bucks) and they are great. You can listen to your own playlist and it will tell you when you are half done.

Good luck!! You can do it!!!
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    I just started week seven today. I absolutely love the program. It has really showed me that I am a lot stronger than I think! It's more mental than physical for me, mentally I want to quit far sooner than my body does. Make sure you invest in some stuff to keep you comfortable, a good pair of shoes, socks that aren't cotton to avoid blisters, and proper clothing. The more comfortable you are, the less miserable it is getting started and the more likely you'll stick with it. I started to learn to run several times before I found C25K. It's the only thing that I stuck with! Good luck!

I need new running shoes but I am just kinda torn on which ones to get.... What do you think is the best running shoes? And congrats I hope I can get to week seven your almost to the 5k marker!!!
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    Thanks everyone appreciate all the help with this.. I just finished week 1 day 2 and the recovery time was much better :D have a great night!!
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It works. It works. It works.

Repeat weeks if you have to. It's what got me started over a year ago.

There's tons of great Applications for this for both droid and iphone.

Running shoes are a good investment, but to be honest, I wouldn't drop the money unless you knew you were going to be into it. I have nike lunarfly's, and they're a good "low-cost" shoe. It's like running on air. If you find that you do enjoy running this is the first thing you should invest in, because bad shoes will give you serious shin splints and knee problems.
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 right now and I am thoroughly enjoying the program. Not only is it getting me fitter my self confidence is coming on in leaps and bounds. It seemed impossible a week ago that I could run for 20 minutes and the thought of it made me nervous. Now I have managed it I am raring to go and cannot wait to run for 25 and 30 minutes at a time.

It is worth doing and sticking with.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm in Week 8 - I have been a runner for a while, but used to do what I lovingly call "the survival shuffle". I wanted to improve my pace and form, so I started from the very beginning, changing my running style and upping the pace.

Great success!

I'm now running with a forefoot strike and covering 4.5kms in 28 minutes - I'm intending to increase pace once I've finished the programme in a couple of weeks.

It's awesome!
  • Elizadolots
    Options
    I've done it! I used the NHS couch to 5k podcasts with Laura. They are excellent. I graduated a while ago and now run 6.5km 3 times a week, hoping to increase that bit by bit.
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in Week 8 - I have been a runner for a while, but used to do what I lovingly call "the survival shuffle". I wanted to improve my pace and form, so I started from the very beginning, changing my running style and upping the pace.

Great success!

I'm now running with a forefoot strike and covering 4.5kms in 28 minutes - I'm intending to increase pace once I've finished the programme in a couple of weeks.

It's awesome!

the NHS have just produced a C25K+ podcast (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx) which might interest you, it seems to focus on building speed and greater endurance
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I have been a runner for a while, but used to do what I lovingly call "the survival shuffle". ...

:laugh: Thanks! Now I know what to call that thing I do toward the end of a marathon! :laugh:
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you find the couch 2 5k run/walk programmes don't work, apparently heart rate zone training is a good alternative, but you need a HRM - the idea is to keep your heart rate at a level for a certain amount of time, 75% of maximum is optimum for most people but maybe lower if you have a heart condition or haven't done much exercise for a while.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/big-heart-rate-training-index/177.html
  • duckhunter42
    Options

THANKS, I just run outside and I feel like an idiot running and walking!

Truth is, no one can tell. I started running about 4 weeks ago on my own. It started as a walk during lunch, then a walk run... Now I'm trying to break 3 miles on my half hour break. when I first started I couldn't even cover a quarter mile without stopping.
    Seriously, run/walk at your pace and you'll get there, it's been great for me so far.