Need More protein..

Options
what can i eat to get more protein without a lot of fat or carbs?

Replies

• 1MoreRep91
    Options
    Good protein sources are lean meats, poultry, fish, tofu, nuts, beans, legumes and high protein grains such as quinoa. Healthy fats include mono and poly unsaturated plant fats such as olive oil, flaxseed, and avocados
  • Nightelyn
    Options
    Protein shakes. Get the powdered stuff and make some smoothies or shakes. But there are good and bad brands of the protein powder. Some taste better than others, so ask around before choosing one.
  • Casaria
    Casaria Posts: 37
    Options
    MMMMM love quinoa. i will have to make some tonight. Thanks
  • Casaria
    Options
    Im not really a shakes kind of person. I need other ways around that. It's a texture issue for me
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need more protein?
  • jcharlotte
    jcharlotte Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would say egg white omelettes, loads of protein, toss in some veggies., cheese..keep it real:) & what 1morerep91 said..
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Good protein sources are lean meats, poultry, fish, tofu, nuts, beans, legumes and high protein grains such as quinoa. Healthy fats include mono and poly unsaturated plant fats such as olive oil, flaxseed, and avocados

^^^THIS! The only thing I would add are eggs.
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options

Me too! ;)
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options

Egg whites ;);) The yolk has all that nasty cholesterol
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've added soy nuts and tuna or salmon packets to my food kit for protein. Very portable and you don't have to refrigerate. If you can refridgerate, Greek yogurt is a really good source as well.

Good luck!!
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    Egg whites have an excellent protein to fat/calorie ratio to up protein without going over in other stuff. I use a lot of salmon and extra lean turkey/chicken. Remember variety and things you enjoy make it easier to sustain long term. Lifestyle changes, not just diet. It's good to avoid the shakes if they're not something you'd think you'd keep up with. I have trouble eating solids in the morning. I've been forcing greek yogurt and fruit on myself for months. I switched to protein shakes with some fruit tossed in the blender and I'm much happier. It will be something I can better sustain.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Cholesterol is not necessarily bad though. I eat 4-5 whites plus 1 yolk a day for the healthy fat and cholesterol.
  • 1MoreRep91
    Options

Cholesterol is not necessarily bad though. I eat 4-5 whites plus 1 yolk a day for the healthy fat and cholesterol.

True, I usually have 2 maybe 3 a week
  • Casaria
    Options
    I have been doing egg whites every day for breakfast. it started out as me purchasing an egg white sandwhich on pumpernickle bread at a deli near work. then i decided to ditch the bread and do mah own egg whits. I need more protein because the first day i used this i came up way short for protein and i was hungry off and on through out the day. i wanted more protein with out adding more fat.
  • Casaria
    Options

Me too! ;)

I just found out last week they sell it on the salad bar at work. so anytime i want some..i can pop over woot woot
  • jaci_b
    jaci_b Posts: 1
    Options
    Cottage cheese mixed with fresh fruit or salsa or greek yogurt...either way yiu shoukd be able to get 12g or more per serving. :-)
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same trouble. The past two nights I've had eggs with cheese just because I needed to boost protein and was over on carbs so it was tricky. All that comes to mind when I'm in that spot is eggs and chicken but cottage cheese and greek yogurt are great for protein too.
    BTW for the people who are down on egg yolks I've read that the cholesterol in the yolk is apparently counterbalanced by good stuff in the white so when you eat the two together you're good and the cholesterol in eggs won't affect your cholesterol levels.
  • Casaria
    Options
    I have texture issues to deal with and am finding i can't eat the egg whites on their own without gagging. Now its a must to have them on bread of some fashion. Cottage cheese is something i am not a fan of, partially for the same reason. In the summer i have to keep dairy to a minimum because it makes me sick to my stomach. This means during summer i keep away from ice cream, yogurt, milk, etc. I can only eat them if i know i will be indoors for a few hours.

Another question:

When we exercise it adds more calories to our daily intake thingy...does it add protein too?