Weights Before Cardio

Options
Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone else works out this way too? I have always done around 35 - 50 mins cardio before doing my weights and lifting circuit.

"Your body uses a starch called glycogen to supply the energy needs of your muscles through your workout. In order to build muscle and maximize your weight training, your body needs adequate amounts of glycogen. As cardio exercise burns more glycogen and can lead your body to use dietary protein as energy, performing cardio before weights during a workout can limit the impact of your weight session. By performing cardio after weights, your body uses glycogen and protein to maximize muscle-building. This results in your body using other sources of energy, such as fats, to fuel your cardio session."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/509096-should-i-take-protein-after-lifting-or-cardio/#ixzz233lPOMTa

Replies

• stufielding
    stufielding Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    cheeky bump
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Not to pick, but livestrong's definition of glycogen is not quite right there. Many organisms can easily break down starches into glucose, which is then stored as glycogen in the liver. Glycogen is an analogue of starch...Glycogen forms an energy reserve that can be quickly mobilized to meet a sudden need for glucose, but one that is less compact than the energy reserves of triglycerides (lipids).

Info: "Only the glycogen stored in the liver can be made accessible to other organs. In the muscles, glycogen is found in a low concentration (1 to 2% percent of the muscle mass). The amount of glycogen stored in the body—especially within the muscles, liver, and red blood cells—mostly depends on physical training, basal metabolic rate, and eating habits such as intermittent fasting. Small amounts of glycogen are found in the kidneys, and even smaller amounts in certain glial cells in the brain and white blood cells.....After a meal has been digested and glucose levels begin to fall, insulin secretion is reduced, and glycogen synthesis stops. When it is needed for energy, glycogen is broken down and converted again to glucose. "

What they are saying is a bit confusing. Because either way your body needs glycogen for energy, and if you deplete it either before or after your weight session, surely muscle growth will be slightly limited either way? That is unless you fuel your body during your sessions? ie. a snack or protein drink before & after? Reading further down it agrees stating:

"you should take protein before and after a workout involving both types of exercise. Begin with a fast-digesting protein before your weight session, then take a source of simple carbohydrates before your cardio session, such as fruits or 100 percent pure fruit juice. This provides you with energy, hydration, vitamins and minerals and helps to replenish glycogen stores, making for a more effective cardio workout"
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The article has it exactly right. Cardio before strength training will deplete the energy needed to really have a great workout. If it's lighter stuff you'll get thru it, but if you're trying to get stronger your progress will be seriously impeded. Lift first.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I've always done weights first and then cardio. Works for me!
  • leestanley3
    leestanley3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Personally I always do heavy weights before cardio. Will also do heavy weights then a mini circuit of exercises that have a better intensity (metabolic conditioning effect) than cardio... I also find cardio... really really boring..

Perhaps you need to review what your goals are??

If you want to be lean then intensity and hypertrophy are key if you want to run a marathon cardio is key...
  • jasonclev
    jasonclev Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do weights before cardio. Makes the cardio a little tougher at first, but once I'm halfway through I feel fine.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well, I walk to the gym, so I've done a bit of cardio already when I get there. But I don't do cardio in the gym - I just do weights, and then I go for a swim, so I guess I'm doing weights before cardio.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    the advice I've received from trainers is you should do whichever is more important for achieving your goals first. If you're really trying to improve your strength and build muscle mass, lift first. If you goal is primarily to burn calories and improve CV fitness and are just toning on the weights, do cardio first.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    The article has it exactly right. Cardio before strength training will deplete the energy needed to really have a great workout. If it's lighter stuff you'll get thru it, but if you're trying to get stronger your progress will be seriously impeded. Lift first.

^
    Plus just in general being weakened in some way provides more danger when doing which? Also to throw out some controversy, heavy barbell weight training IS cardio.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I discussed this at length with my trainer yesterday and there is no generic answer to this question. It depends on what your goal is. Anyone wishing to bulk up and add muscle will have a totally different routine to someone who wants to lose weight and tone. Since i fall into the latter category i do the bulk of my cardio before lifting which is working pretty well for me right now and im never unable to complete my lifts BUT i do not lift heavy i lift moderate weights at high reps. Totally different routine from someone adding bulk