Protein

Options
Hi all! I am new here and so far love My Fitness PAL. My question is about portein. Does anyone else find it hard to stay within their protein daily limit? I think I am eating very healthy but I ALWAYS go over my protein limit. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Replies

• JustMichelleB
    Options
    MFP's protein is basically the minimum amount of protein you should be getting in a day, not a maximum.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    The limits set by MFP are too low.
    IMO you should set it to about 30% of your total calories as well as fats to 30%.

My protein gets up to about 200g on certain days of the week.
    Its the 1 macro you cant get enough of but should always be drinking 8-16 cups of water to help process it!
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    i go over every day
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    IMO you should set it to about 30% of your total calories as well as fats to 30%.

Its the 1 macro you cant get enough of but should always be drinking 8-16 cups of water to help process it!

How do you change the settings?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 10-35% of your calories should be from protein so mfp is at the low end (around 15% I think?) but you can go to your settings and change it to whatever you want.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

How do you change the settings?

go to goals- then click change goals and click on "custom" - Then you can make the changes to all your macros.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I just read on MSN that if you replace 50 or so grams of carbs with whey protein daily, you'd lose 4lbs in 23 weeks. Considering that is nearly 6 months, I'd probably lose that much just carrying the giant container around.

I am however trying to lower my carbs and increase my protein as I get closer to goal because it's getting harder to lose fat. It's a little early and I'm only losing about 3/4lb per week but I'm measuring smaller in many places so I think it's helping me build muscle.

Mix it up and see what works for you. We are all different.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I just read on MSN that if you replace 50 or so grams of carbs with whey protein daily, you'd lose 4lbs in 23 weeks. Considering that is nearly 6 months, I'd probably lose that much just carrying the giant container around.

I am however trying to lower my carbs and increase my protein as I get closer to goal because it's getting harder to lose fat. It's a little early and I'm only losing about 3/4lb per week but I'm measuring smaller in many places so I think it's helping me build muscle.

Mix it up and see what works for you. We are all different.

Have you adjusted your deficit?
    I dont want to hijack this thread so PM me if interested.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

I second that! the more the better!
  • pattysanderson71
    pattysanderson71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers! They helped! I didn't know that MFP protein limits were set at the low end. Will change my settings. Lovin' the community!!!! :o)
    :smile: