Feeling faint/dizzy.

Options
So, I work a 5 hour shift just twice a week. I stand up for the entire time, as I work in sales and we have two chairs which are for customers mainly. After an hour or so of standing up I start to feel dizzy and hot. And I can't concentrate on what a person is saying to me. I have to sort of walk around a bit and to try and feel normal for a while longer but this only works for about 5 minutes and then i have to sit down for 10 minutes or so. It's horrible. Luckily it's not too bad if i'm distracted by a customer, and it only seems to happen when the store is empty which means i am able to sit down. What do you guys reckon this could be? I work with people who are on ramandan at the moment, and they never get dizzy and have to sit down...so why do i when i am able to have breakfast and drink water?

I go really hot, feel dizzy and slightly sick and have to sit down and rest my head on my hand for a while to feel normal again. Is this normal? After standing for just 2 hours or so?

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    make sure your knees arent locking number one this could be lack of blood flow 2 talk to your doctor cause something isnt right with this
  • EmmaMay93
    Options
    How do you lock your knees? Standing in one still position for a while?
  • shabaity
    Options
    make sure they are bent slightly at the knee having them entirely straight is called locking knee cap looks almost like its dipping in at that point atleast on my legs but i have fairly large calves and thighs
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I would eat perhaps 200-300 more calories on the days you have those shifts and drink water regularly - you could put a small amount of cordial/squash in to ensure your sugar is up. xx
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You probably dont eat enough.
    If your protein is below 100 then pump it up.
    If you are set for sedentary then up it to moderate.
    If you are eating 1200 and not eating back any calories for activity while set at sedentary you wont last very long.

I'm voting food!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Otherwise, I agree to chat with your doctor about this. Could be indicative of something else. Hope you are well.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant?
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. It could simply be diet related, or it could be something else entirely. if you're not used to going 5-6 hrs without food, or standing for long periods of time, then that could cause your body to react that way. Make sure that you're getting enough to drink, and bring something to snack on at work.

See your doctor if it happens again - it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your health.
  • EmmaMay93
    Options
    Even on days where I eat more, sometimes over my calorie goal, it still happens. After drinking a few bottes of water throughout work, too. No, I'm not pregnant. How can it be food related when those on ramadan at work are fine when they haven't eaten a thing or had a sip of water?
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Even though you're not pregnant, it could be related to hormone fluctuations. Could also be blood-flow issues, caused by locking knees or simply standing too long. If it's ongoing and problematic, I'd see a doctor about it. That said, don't disregard blood sugar issues. If you are very sensitive to blood sugar levels, you might have stronger reactions than people who don't.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had issues with fainting and dizziness and finally found out i was severely anemic.
    Maybe a visit to your GP to have some blood-work done?

I also chug Propel Zero Fitness Water constantly. It's got vitamin B, C, & E in it. You can get it in powder packs & mix it into your water. For some reason that really seemed to help.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Even on days where I eat more, sometimes over my calorie goal, it still happens. After drinking a few bottes of water throughout work, too. No, I'm not pregnant. How can it be food related when those on ramadan at work are fine when they haven't eaten a thing or had a sip of water?

They are generally healthier.

How much are you eating daily?
    Whats your protein set to?
    How often do you work out?

you are aware that you probably burn about 2100-2600 cals a day?
    So if you are on a self made 1200 or low calorie diet then you are doing it wrong.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    make sure your knees arent locking number one this could be lack of blood flow 2 talk to your doctor cause something isnt right with this
    make sure they are bent slightly at the knee having them entirely straight is called locking knee cap looks almost like its dipping in at that point atleast on my legs but i have fairly large calves and thighs

what on the third rock from the sun are you smoking?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How can it be food related when those on ramadan at work are fine when they haven't eaten a thing or had a sip of water?
    Because they aren't you. You are an individual and you obviously have some kind of issue they don't have.

Low blood pressure, and low blood sugar are two things that spring to mind. It would be easy to get your doctor to check these out. Unfortunately the best you can get without seeing your doctor is just guesses at what it might be.
  • shabaity
    Options
    see your doctor for a full blood work hun and dont lock your knees because something is not right and the fainting and dizzy spells can very easily become worse