CALORIES, please help!!!

Options
I've seen a lot of poeple on here say that u need to take in more calories in order to burn fat. what i'm wondering is how the hell do u take in more calories to help u lose weight without taking in more fat and carbs too?? I thought the road to weight loss was to have portion control (which means less calories to me) and exercise?? I don't quite grasp how eating more help u lose more. Please help because i'm 195lbs trying to get to 150lbs, and I dont wanna be busting my *kitten* for nothing!

Replies

• tiaamato
    tiaamato Posts: 30
    Options
    on here it says i should take in 1200 calories, but my BMR is 1690. I'm also light active, so then it said my caloric intake should be 2300. I just dont see how eating more to reach this goal is going to help me lose weight...will someone please help!!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Good idea ^^^ This man is full of information.
  • lilschrec0007
    Options
    I think the calories intake on the website is a little broken. You need around 3,500 calories loss to lose a pound. You body uses calories on everyday things. This includes digesting food, keeping body temperature around the same and your "light active" daily life style. Depending on your goal, lets assume it is 1 pound per week, you will need a calorie defect of 3,500 calories per week or 500 calories per day. Your calorie intake, 2,300 calories, is that 500 calorie defect you need including your workouts and everyday calorie loss.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
  • azwethinkweizm
    azwethinkweizm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well if your BMR is around the 1400 mark then the theory is that you should eat at _least_ that much because that's the nutrition your body needs to function at all (without any extra activity incorporated). Then if you're active, it adds more calories to your daily calorie needs (so that you aren't undereating as working out would bring your calories below your BMR again). So if you set your cals to that 1800-ish mark, you don't add your activity cals like you normally would in MFP to this otherwise you'll eat too much.

It sounds like you don't really believe in this concept of eating so you could just stick to 1200 and eat back exercise calories if you think it won't work for you - to each their own I say!
  • gracerobin1
    Options
    Portion control is a large part of it, but also choosing your foods wisely is important too! The more protein you consume the more muscle you will build, and lean muscle helps burn calories :) protein also burns quicker and easier from your system, unlike sugar which turns to fat in your system quicker than fat itself! Pretty much, eating a bit more of the good stuff (protein, complex carbs like rice, vegies and so forth, obviously in moderation) and exercising 3-4 times a week will give you both the fuel and raise your metabolism and lean muscle mass to burn those calories :)
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I'm also light active, so then it said my caloric intake should be 2300.

Did you do light active based upon you going out to the gym/working out or based on the descriptions based upon your working day?

If the later, the system is accounting for the fact that you're moving around a lot during the day then working out later. This poses a problem if you have say a desk job because your half hour workout could have just become 1.5 hours or longer. That You could always drop your activity level down to sedentary and your caloric intake should drop as well since you don't need as many calories.
  • tiaamato
    tiaamato Posts: 30
    Options
    swissmiss, I read the road map and got a lot of good information on calculating everything. So maybe u guys can help me from here:

my body fat is 36%
    my BMR is 2057
    my TDEE is 2318

the road map says "I recommend 20% less your TDEE" does he mean he recommends my calorie intake be 20% less than my TDEE? In that case my calories per day would be 1855. protein and fat 30% and carbs 40%.

does this sounds right to u all?

I jog 2miles about 3times a week. so should i set my caloriesburned per week at 6954, since my TDEE times 3 days is 6954?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Holy misinformation Batman!
    Portion control is a large part of it, but also choosing your foods wisely is important too! The more protein you consume the more muscle you will build, and lean muscle helps burn calories :)

He's at a deficit so unless he's morbidly obese there wont be any muscle building.
    protein also burns quicker and easier from your system, unlike sugar which turns to fat in your system quicker than fat itself! Pretty much, eating a bit more of the good stuff (protein, complex carbs like rice, vegies and so forth, obviously in moderation).

Protein is the slowest burning macronutrient almost to a point where you burn more calories due to TEF.
    Protein as a macro is 4cals per gram but once TEF is factored in its about 3.5.

Sugar doesnt make people fat, eating above TDEE makes people fat.
    I eat sugar every day and the fat still comes off.
    Any macro: protein, fat or carbs, eaten above TDEE can be stored as fat....or muscle depending on your workout routine.
    exercising 3-4 times a week will give you both the fuel and raise your metabolism and lean muscle mass to burn those calories :)

Working out 3-4x a week is optimal but food effects metabolism.

My metabolism is the same if i'm sitting on the couch as it is if i'm doing 280lb squats.
    As long as I eat correctly then my metabolism/hormones are in general working order.

I'm not trying to be a douche but most of this info is false.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I was having the same issue. I used the above link to calculate my BF% and my TDEE but I suck at math, and because of that I feel pretty hopeless lol. I have consulted a few of my military friends, but they seem just as clueless on this as well. So I have been sticking with just eating 1200-1400 calories a day and doing my Insanity workouts(plus cleaning, cooking, playing with kids) and hoping for the best. I did go from 142lbs to 132lbs by cutting out soda completely, well besides one on Sunday which is my cheat day. I have also been kinda wondering about the whole portion control thing, they tell you to eat to lose weight, but if your only eating a select portion of food, it pretty much comes out to be a double standard. I have done a lot of research online, and asked a lot of people at the gym, and I always get the same answer...healthy eating, and small portions with a lot of exercise. I have been trying that, but like others, I'm stuck. I just feel like I'm going to be fat forever!

I wanted to edit- That per fat 2 fit radio my Goal body weight calculation is 74lbs....how is 74lbs healthy on 4'11 when the healthy/normal weight is between 91lbs and 120lbs? I am so incredibly lost and confused.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue. I used the above link to calculate my BF% and my TDEE but I suck at math, and because of that I feel pretty hopeless lol. I have consulted a few of my military friends, but they seem just as clueless on this as well. So I have been sticking with just eating 1200-1400 calories a day and doing my Insanity workouts(plus cleaning, cooking, playing with kids) and hoping for the best. I did go from 142lbs to 132lbs by cutting out soda completely, well besides one on Sunday which is my cheat day. I have also been kinda wondering about the whole portion control thing, they tell you to eat to lose weight, but if your only eating a select portion of food, it pretty much comes out to be a double standard. I have done a lot of research online, and asked a lot of people at the gym, and I always get the same answer...healthy eating, and small portions with a lot of exercise. I have been trying that, but like others, I'm stuck. I just feel like I'm going to be fat forever!

I wanted to edit- That per fat 2 fit radio my Goal body weight calculation is 74lbs....how is 74lbs healthy on 4'11 when the healthy/normal weight is between 91lbs and 120lbs? I am so incredibly lost and confused.

BMR alone is 1355
    TDEE from insanity and kids is around 2100-2300.

So you can lose a significant amount of weight with minimal hormonal issues at about 1600-1800 daily.
    Thats looking to be about a pound a week.
    Just get rest.
    Its more important than doing the workouts!
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks! It's a lot higher than my MFP TDEE but I will definitely stick to this and see how it goes. It sure beats just sitting at 132lbs and no real change. Would I be putting myself in any danger of keeping or gaining the weight if I cannot meet the 1600 calories every day? Sometimes I can only manage to get 1400.

Thanks again!
  • kristl555
    kristl555 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling. I cannot seem to get my caloric intake over 1200 without eating foods that are fattening. Mine keeps telling me I am putting myself into starvation mode. If you get any answers to your question please send them along and good luck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling. I cannot seem to get my caloric intake over 1200 without eating foods that are fattening. Mine keeps telling me I am putting myself into starvation mode. If you get any answers to your question please send them along and good luck.

When I have extra calories that i need to get in, I make myself a protein smoothie and/or eat some nuts. Only thirty-five peanuts will score you 170 "good" calories. :smile:
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Well if your BMR is around the 1400 mark then the theory is that you should eat at _least_ that much because that's the nutrition your body needs to function at all (without any extra activity incorporated). Then if you're active, it adds more calories to your daily calorie needs (so that you aren't undereating as working out would bring your calories below your BMR again). So if you set your cals to that 1800-ish mark, you don't add your activity cals like you normally would in MFP to this otherwise you'll eat too much.

It sounds like you don't really believe in this concept of eating so you could just stick to 1200 and eat back exercise calories if you think it won't work for you - to each their own I say!
    But if your body needs 1400 calories for basic functions and you're eating less than that, wouldn't it get the rest it needs from fat stores since fat stores are essentially the body's backup fuel tanks?