going off to college what foods to put in apartment?

Options
i leave for college tomorrow a big step in my life! woo-hoo. eight more years and this girl will be a dentist. yaaay!
but at my college, instead of dorms we have our own full sized apartment, i have an apartment to myself...no roommate.
what kinds of foods should i stash up on to have in my apartment?
right now i have special k, honey bunches of oats, fiber one, protein bars, granola bars, fiber one bars, spinach dip, bread, peanut butter, wheat thins, apple sauce, apple juice, grape juice, water

tomorrow i will be going out and buying my fat free milk, fruits, vegetables, salad, dressing and yogurt?

does that sound good or is there anything you guys reccomend to take to stay fit and healthy while being a full time pre-dental student with intense course work?

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    You don't win friends with salad - The Simpsons
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on snacks as that's all you have. Regardless of how busy you think you are, you certainly have time to prepare meals and eat them. Get some chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, sweet potatoes or yams, eggs, etc and prepare in batches to save time (chicken, rice, potatoes, veggies...). Honestly, I'd avoid the fruit juices as those tend to have lots of added sugar - so buy fresh fruit instead.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a pretty good list but don't forget the fruit and make sure you have a refillable water bottle to carry around with you.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, and barley, all dried, super duper cheap and super duper good for you. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and sea food (if you can afford it, kind of pricey, but way healthy for you).
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    All of the "snack" foods are processed and full of carbs. Not that it is completely bad, but if it is possible, try to prepare meals where you will have enough left over that you can have the next day or use in a different way, ex: boiled chicken. Also, fruit is good to keep, along with cheese, greek yogurt and veggies! Try to stay away from juices, they tend to have too much added sugar! Good luck with your college experience!!! :)
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If you have some dreis pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, tinned tuna and some herbs/spices you always have a meal in the cupboard. You can cook up a little vegor anything else you have to add and have a lovely pasta bake. Oh I always have stock cubes.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I agree with geekyjock. Also, I know your schedule will be hectic and full, but schedule some time for exercise and watch how much you snack. My son started college last year and has quite a full schedule. However, when he got stressed (or felt overwelmed) he hit the gym instead of doing what a lot of college students do (which is eat). He is in great shape and actually lost some weight last year.

Good luck with college!!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Most of my meals have to be prepared in a microwave or on a camping stove, so we do a lot of steamed veggies, whole grain rice, tuna packets, tortilla wraps, and grilled chicken. Oh, and seafood! :)
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You have a great start! Trust yourself... and NO mac & cheese... LOL
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    At least the snacks you have bought aren't completely unhealthy. I would suggest no snack foods and only foods to make a meal with or fresh produce. However, as a college student it can be difficult to get meals in, I was once a student. I'd say you're off to a good start!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I would suggest lots of frozen veggies, fruit, chicken breast, fish, ground turkey and ground chicken. These are my staples and they keep for much longer than fresh items. Though I still feel fresh food is best, it can be hard on the wallet to buy ONLY fresh items! And if you're in the same situation I was in college, you are on a limited budget! Frozen items can be your best friend, as they are a bit cheaper and you can buy in bulk.

I would also suggest trying to "batch cook" for the week on a Saturday or Sunday, or any day you don't have classes.
  • Wingwoman21
    Options
    -Hummus & baby carrots
    -Eggs
    - Frozen veggies on those little pouches you can steam in the microwave
    -Brown or whole grain rice
    -Beans
    -Fresh or frozen fruit
    - Greek yogurt
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Daphne Oz wrote a book called "The Dorm Room Diet". That might be one to check out for some good ideas.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, white bread, great value grape jelly, ramen noodles, crystal light, canned beans, cheese whiz, saltine crackers, cheetos, generic mustard and mayo, generic milk, value brand frosted flakes, and storebrand sliced ham or turkey....

JK