Idea's for office morale boosting?

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Well, I'm just a little peon. And it's really not my job to do anything about this. But the state of the attitude in my particular department is really concerning me.

We're short, we're upset, we don't really want to talk to people or help them.

SOME HAVE EVEN THREATENED TO SHAKE BABIES!

I've thought of perhaps a happy hour.. or something, anything? What do you do when your work environment becomes unbearable?
I just want everybody to be happy.

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I know it's probably dumb but I give people candy. Chocolate makes everything better.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    I know it's probably dumb but I give people candy. Chocolate makes everything better.

That's a definite idea.
    If I was rich I'd buy pizza everyday!! Something has just got to give. It's become toxic.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thunderdome
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    pizza once a week, maybe casual fridays/summer fridays (where you leave a little early) if you don't have it already. happy hour is usually a good idea but once people aren't happy at work, they don't really want to hang out with co-workers after work. at least that's how i feel.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    1 round, or 5-10 minutes, of truth or dare. Everyone stops what they're doing just to be silly. Let your hair down & have fun. It always worked for us. :smile:
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Pin the tail on the CEO?

(use a picture, of course...)
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Group walks every day. Maybe organize a picnic. Have a bring a plant to work day. Smile and say good morning to every single person in the office.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Do something collaborative and creative, that obviously doesn't take up a lot of time, seeing as you're already short.
    Creativity usually helps people relax.

For example make a collaborative drawing, where everyone draws a little bit and then the next draws a small part and so on.
    I started this in a call center where I worked. Just draw a line on a piece of paper and pass it on to the next one. We were in cubicles, so we would wrap the paper into a ball and just throw it at each other.

Or write a story by hanging up post-its on a wall. Each post-it has a little bit of the story on it and people take turns to hang up a new part of the story on the wall. This doesn't take a lot of time either and people can just add to it when they have a couple of secs and need something to distract them from their job. When the story is done, you can type it out and send it to everyone (or just take a picture if the handwriting isn't too small.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Food...that's the best office morale booster I've ever known. I used to work in a similar environment, but was a supervisor...when I heard the masses grumbling I would bring in a skillet and make some pancakes or some chorizo n' eggs burritos. Trick is to do it as a surprise and whatever you do, DO NOT expect them to be happy...there will always be one or two that just can't be appeased. But it would always cheer them up if only for that day.

That's really nice of you to think of stuff even though you're "just" a peon. :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Don't do happy hour.

That's when people just drink and ***** about work....It doesn't boost any morale
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Any opportunity to bring in a Wii or similar and get a tourney of some kind going?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Every Friday we do a survivor challenge like a scavenger hunt, building a bridge from office supplies, lame stuff like that, but it's fun.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Music.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    we bond by *****ing about how nobody in corporate cares about us even though our branch is basically a money printing machine.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I would say nay to the happy hour thing too- you'll end up getting there and bish about work (defeats the purpose)

Some things our office does:

breakfasts, everyone brings something and we make pancakes or waffles
    we celebrate birthdays and company anniversarys monthly- includes a potluck lunch and an extra 1/2 hour to chit chat
    charity fundraisers- we did a wii bowling tournament recently that raised money for a local charity

anonymous sentiments: we had an envelope down a hallway with everyones name on it. Only instructions given were to put something in writing that was positive about that individual. Some people used a single word, others used prases, quotes, a compliment about what ever. I had no idea who wrote what, but talk about warm and fuzzies!
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    Music.

We aren't allowed to even have headphones, let alone little radios.
    Honestly, I get why morale is low. ha ha
  • _Calvin_
    _Calvin_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Combine breakfast and happy hour. Do kegs and eggs.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    heineken+water+cooler.jpg
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    every one takes turns walking around in their underwear?

happy hour (maybe for breakfast, before said underwear donning)?

I like the candy, donut, bagel, food, idea . . . but as a person who has little willpower I get bitter when people fill me up with candy.

Once a month pot luck

Once a month scheduled lunch out together
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I vote for more cleavage.