Twenty down, 12 more twenties to go.

Options
A month ago, I was a 478 pound behemoth who spent his days from sitting in his recliner to sitting in his car to sitting in his office to sitting at his kid's baseball games. I couldn't even walk two blocks from my car to my office without sweating and being out of breath. One month later, I am a 458 pound behemoth who enjoys 30 minute walks @ 3-4 mph. I am still ridiculously and dangerously overweight, but for the first time in a long time, I have hope for the future. At 8:30 p.m., last night, I went from being 150 calories under for the day to being 150 calories over. Old Scott would have been angry at himself and punished himself for doing it with more food. New Scott laced up his walking shoes, grabbed his iPod, and walked briskly (or as briskly as a 450 pound + guy can walk) for 30 minutes. Now, instead of dreading a new day with new eating challenges, I know what I will do, and I will do it. But-- and I say this as one who has battled weight issues all my life-- I could NOT be doing this without myfitnesspal. Thank you!

Replies

• Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great post and congratulations on the the first 20 down! It is so much easier once you enjoy it and by the sounds of it you really are. Keep up the great work and you will drop the second 20 in no time! Are you keeping photos of each 20 pound loss? That would make for an interesting post once you drop them all!
  • gogoganja
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations man! MFP has done the same thing to me. When I'm walking my dog I'm not just walking him, I'm doing suicides, lunges, extra cardio, extra motion and movement whenever I can. My biggest problem so far seems to be figuring out exactly how long I spent doing what. It's made a difference for me, any my pup!
  • madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the board, glad to have you here. You are doing great. Keep up the good work. friend me if you would like.
  • sueceeq
    sueceeq Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiring post! You are doing awesome, you should be so proud! Keep up the good work and don't forget to come back here if you are feeling down! Just reading the posts can give me a boost of confidence, so take advantage! Feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    welcome! I enjoyed your post and I'm proud of you for your determination. Friend if you like : )

Enjoy the journey - every step is that much closer to your goal!
  • mynulife
    mynulife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on the loss and the attitued! I am hoping it is contagious! Good Luck to you!
  • Lee648
    Lee648 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations!!! I've been doing MFP for about a month now as well, and have lost about 12 lbs (which is the weight of my cat!) I've still got a ways to go, but it's inspiring posts like yours that keep me going. Your hard work is paying off! Congrats!
  • densta1968
    Options
    What a great attitude and outlook! Keep up the good work, you're very inspiring! :happy:
  • ellieranc
    ellieranc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep up the good work! :)
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    When I wrote my post this morning, I had no idea that so many caring and thoughtful people were out there. I basically sent it into the "series of tubes" that is the internet, with no real thought that anyone would actually read it.

I am overwhelmed and grateful for the support of each and every one of you. As a guy who ALWAYS ran to food as a source of emotional comfort, it was so crazy today to realize that it is 8:15 p.m., and I still have 693 calories that I don't even feel like consuming. I will eat something, just because this is a marathon, not a sprint, but what a blessing to finally break free of the (literal) death grip that food has had over me. You fine people are a big reason for that. So thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! All of you!!!
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    this is ridiculously inspiring :)
    even though i've never met you- i'm proud of you!!
    xx
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching the first 2-0!! Continued success with your program...you WILL succeed!
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Great post and I am happy that your journey is going so well! I look forward to seeing future updates.
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I can completely relate. It seems strange feel proud of someone you don't even know, yet I do! You did a great thing. Not only did you make the right choice, but you broke the cycle of wrong choices. Congratulations. If you're looking for friends that log on a regular basis, feel free to ad me. I have 140 lbs to lose, so I'll be here for a while. :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, thank you for sharing. Keep up the hard work!
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great post. It was inspiring and infectious. You have the "fever". Its empowering to conquer issues that just a few weeks before you wouldn't even think about. Keep up the great work and I look forward to your continuing posts:happy:
  • Melital
    Melital Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Future Scott is a luck guy who will be proud, thin and healthy! Keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    When I wrote my post this morning, I had no idea that so many caring and thoughtful people were out there. I basically sent it into the "series of tubes" that is the internet, with no real thought that anyone would actually read it.

I am overwhelmed and grateful for the support of each and every one of you. As a guy who ALWAYS ran to food as a source of emotional comfort, it was so crazy today to realize that it is 8:15 p.m., and I still have 693 calories that I don't even feel like consuming. I will eat something, just because this is a marathon, not a sprint, but what a blessing to finally break free of the (literal) death grip that food has had over me. You fine people are a big reason for that. So thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! All of you!!!

I never really thought about the fact that men can also have an emotional connection to food. You will find a lot of people here who can relate 100% to that aspect of your struggles. I know I can. It feels like a never ending cycle of beating yourself up, eating to feel better, beating yourself up again, etc, etc.

I'm very happy for you. Isn't it an amazing feeling knowing you've won today's battle? There will be more tough days ahead but with every battle won, you get stronger and stronger and in no time turning to food for comfort will truly be a thing of the past!

Congrats on the first twenty gone for good!
  • Belligerent_Wombat
    Belligerent_Wombat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You are my hero. YOU CAN DO THIS! I believe in you, Scott!
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for posting this! I am encouraged and inspired by this, and truly have a lot of respect for you and the decisions you are making. Keep up all of your great work, I have no doubt that you can reach your goals!