C25K Advise

Options
I started the C25K about 7 week ago. I really couldn't run very far or for very long when I started and each week I was nervous when moving on to the next week.

However, I have managed to keep going and on Monday I started Wk 7 day 1. I found it tough but I was able to do it..today I went for Week 7 day 2 and I couldn't manage it. I was just too tired and was not able to get my breathing or my stride going.

I am wondering if this is something that is normal.

My running days are normally Tues, Thurs and Sat. however, this week due to family commitments I went for Mon, Wed and Fri..could this have effected me?

Just wondering if anyone else found this happened to them or if any of you runners out there can advise!

Thanks
Karrie

Replies

• PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am on W8D2 and have had the same issues in week 7. I had to redo a run and it is okay if you have to do that. Try slowing down your pace and that should help you finish. I was going too fast and my body wasn't used to it and tanked quick. Once I slowed down I was able to finish.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Just one of those things, give your self a day and then do it again - Don't stress it! You already know you can do it xx
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I know that I did Week 5 day 1 and 2 and than I tried for the 20min run and I just couldnt control my breathing and my ankles felt like they where gonna break off sooo I decided to retstart week 5 Ive done this with week 3 also because I didnt feel ready to move on, maybe try just repeatin a week for one week and see if that helps. Sometimes you just need a little more time for your body to adjust, it could be so many things like the weather is different, the air is different, maybe you had less sleep that day or drank less water.. so many factors dont be so hard on yourself just see how far you have come and remember its okay to do the levels again, this isnt a race :-) Good lUck!!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Take a few days off and re coop. We all have consecutive days when runs go very badly. Or you could repeat the previous week or implement a cutback week. Its your training and ADJUST it as you deem necessary.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Structured exercise plans like C25K will give your workouts a much needed boost if you're into that sort of thing; however, when starting any plan you should be prepared to deal with failure and have a plan of action to overcome it.

Don't worry about what the average/norm is, just concentrate on bettering yourself over time and don't give up.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi Karrie,

Great work on where you've got to, I find stopping and starting hard work, I did a bit of C25K the other day with my sister and i really struggled, howere... I never finished C25K, I just got to week 7 and kept going.

I run 5k 2/3 times a week and 10k once a month, I've reduced my time from 37 mins in Feb2012 to 29 mins, I aim to get 10K under 60 minutes but thats quite hard, currently 63.

I've never done sports, evenat school.

Good luck and feel free to add me x
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I restarted week 4, and I did week 7 about two weeks in a row because I wasn't ready to move on. Just remember that you CAN do it :)
  • maria_jason
    maria_jason Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a couple years now, there are days when I just can't force myself to go. My body sometimes tells me that I need to rest, and sometimes I just slow down.
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    You are doing great! I just completed Week 5 day 2. But it has taken me many more weeks than 5 to get to this point. I had to redo week 4 several times. It's okay to repeat a day or a week. I'm nervous about Week 5 day 3 with that 20 min run, but I am going to give it a try! Best of luck to you as you work through this program.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Some days are just not good days, in terms of running. I run 5 miles at a time 4-5 times a week and have been for a while now. Sometimes, 5 miles is a piece of cake...other days it's harder than pushing out a baby during childbirth.

Chalk it up to a difficult day and as long as you lace up your sneakers again in the next day or so, you're succeeding. :happy:
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 yesterday. And today, I was talking to a friend about how great this program is and how gradually it builds you up. I was reading off each weeks workout description, and when I got to week 7, I about choked. I'm already scared of it, and I still have weeks 5 and 6 before I even get there. I know that when I get there, I'm going to make sure I get plenty of rest between days.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    I am on W8D2 and have had the same issues in week 7. I had to redo a run and it is okay if you have to do that. Try slowing down your pace and that should help you finish. I was going too fast and my body wasn't used to it and tanked quick. Once I slowed down I was able to finish.

Yes! I repeated a couple of weeks when I did c25k. Just didn't feel confident enough to move on. But, I did eventually move on and finish it! Keep at it :)
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good for you on your progress on the program!!! I too have been doing it recently but that is after having "failed" many times before. I used to have to spend a few weeks on each week.

I have done better this time around. But as soon as I hit week 5, day 3... I thought I was going to die! This program does a good job of building up in the first weeks and then all of a sudden they are wanting you to jog for 20 min straight! Are they nuts???? I ran about 10 min walked for 1 min and then finished the lat 10 min. It was extremely hard for me.

I think you have done fantastic to be on week 7 in only 7 weeks. Kudos!!! It is such a big jump on the last few weeks, that I wouldn't worry about it. You may have to repeat a few days until you feel ready to move on.

My husband and I are doing the C25K together but he is a couple of weeks behind me because he is stuck on doing Week 4- he just can't do it all. It is frustrating to him but he keeps plugging away at it. I am on week 6, day 2 but am not looking forward to the next few weeks - they look hard!

Hang in there, keep plugging away.... you can do it!!!
  • messer999
    messer999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With C25K, the first rule when you can't get your breathing right or your stride dioesn't seem right is to Slow down your pace. This isn't a race, it's about cardio. If it's hot or humid when you run that could also be a factor. You might also benefit from adding a 4th day to your jogging schedule to give your body another day to get used to the increased endurace required each week. :smile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K about 7 week ago. I really couldn't run very far or for very long when I started and each week I was nervous when moving on to the next week.

However, I have managed to keep going and on Monday I started Wk 7 day 1. I found it tough but I was able to do it..today I went for Week 7 day 2 and I couldn't manage it. I was just too tired and was not able to get my breathing or my stride going.

I am wondering if this is something that is normal.

My running days are normally Tues, Thurs and Sat. however, this week due to family commitments I went for Mon, Wed and Fri..could this have effected me?

Just wondering if anyone else found this happened to them or if any of you runners out there can advise!

Thanks
    Karrie

Hi Karrie, it's perfectly normal. lots of variables affect performance, including amount of sleep, adequate nutrition,etc etc. If you find it is a struggle, there is nothing wrong at all with doing it another day or repeating until you are happy. you have come so far, so please hang in there!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Week 7!? If you haven't had to repeat yet you are doing awesome.

Give yourself two week sevens to celebrate how well you're doing and you'll cruise into week 8.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    when I got to my first 8 min run I felt like I was going to die (after the warm up 5 min run) I think this is week 5 day 2? anyways I was dreading it! So I decided to give up that day and just walk the rest of the 60 min workout I was doing. At this time I was running at 5mph and felt that If I ran any slower I was running TO slow and that I was not accomplishing anything. Well about 20 mins into my workout (speed walking at 3.8 mph) I decided to start jogging it, its a perfect walk/jog pace for me. I got past 5 mins, 10 mins, then 15 and finally 25 mins of straight "jogging"/Running whatever you want to call it. I was ecstatic! I had not run that long since the last time I did c25k! and I was worried about 8 mins?! Lol

The point is I had to decrease my pace, slow myself down but I was running out of fule running at the speed I was. I have since increased my speed to 4.0 mph (15 min pace) and Its comfortable for me. Sometimes I start to feel out of breath but I just raise my arms over my head and breathe in through my rose and out through my mouth for deeper breaths and it helps.

I now know that I was pushing my body to hard. a 15 min/mile is comfortable for me and when I get longer distances I will slowly (most likely without trying) increase my speed just by the endurance I will control. I have since skipped a few weeks and finished c25k and run 20 mins daily. I am now working on increasing my distance.

Hope this helps! Just keep at it!!!
  • Karrieif
    Karrieif Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys. It really does help to hear your stories and experiences.
    I will take tomorrow off and go again on Friday.

Glad to see so many of us doing the C25k, I think it is a brilliant programme.

Thanks again.
    Karrie
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what people are saying, pace is important! I have done C25K a few times now, and the first time I did it I quit because 1. I wasn't in a good state to keep pushing myself and 2. I was getting tired too fast and felt like I couldn't do it. Then one day one of my cousin's posted on facebook about running 2 miles straight without stopping to walk and she hasn't done it ever, me being overly competitive got mad because I have been "trying to" run for the past few years and I couldn't run 1 mile yet. I asked her what pace she was doing, and she was 4.0 on the treadmill. I tried it out and got 20min without stopping. I then picked up C25K again and slowed down my pace and realized I have much better success and am able to control my breathing better.

Best of luck!
  • Karrieif
    Karrieif Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Well I took all of your advise and rested and slowed down. I was able to go today and complete Wk 7 Day 2....yaaayyyy.

Thanks again for all of the chat, it is good to see how other people are doing, where they are having trouble and what they did to overcome it.

Karrie