When to weigh in ?

Options
I think everyone knows that you'll be lighter in the morning.. especially after that morning pee hahaha.
But when is the best time to weigh yourself ?

Especially when you're on a program like I am. I want to track myself acurately.

Your thoughts ?

Replies

• avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, in the morning after a wee. Keeps me on track and prevents a binge as I know my weigh in is the next day!
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who weighs in the morning, after I use the bathroom. I try to keep it to weekly, though sometimes I can't resist hopping on the scale mid-week "just to see."
  • pietomb00
    pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do it most days when I go to the gym in the evening, not perfect time, but it's consistent (once I take into account that the scales usually start from somewhere between -2kg and 5kg!)
  • Matt3723
    Matt3723 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have a habit of weighing myself everyday morning and night .. I think I need to pick one and stick to it. Maybe once a week.
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    I agree with morning after pee. After you eat you are also weighing what you ate and drank so it's not really YOU it is you plus
    Breakfast or whatever. LOL
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning.
    Occasionally in the afternoon just out of curiosity -- for me the two weigh-ins are usually the same. Unless I've had an absurdly large meal.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you weigh as long as everything you do before is the same.

I weigh in the mornings... it's just easier as I don't keep everything the same during the day.

If you weigh in later in the day just ensure you eat the same, wear the same clothing, do the same exercise, etc so it's consistant.
  • carolegross
    Options
    I am no professional but I just try to be consistant. I do mine at 8:00pm. That way, I am being honest with myself at least and I feel like all my decisions count during the day.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Friday mornings! Weekends always seem to be the hardest to keep on track. It gives me time to recover and hopefully lose a bit more too!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Monday morning after using the bathroom.
  • Matt3723
    Options
    I think I'm going to start weighing in Friday Mornings as well. That will give me a chance to gauge how productive I've been with my workouts and diet during the week.

It will also give me something to look forward to.

Since I just started yesterday, I have a feeling my first month may be a little skewed. Since alot of that drop will most likely be water weight. I've already come to the conclusion that I shouldnt expect major weight drops month after month.

But I'm going to be working hard, so I should have a good gauge of what works by month two.
  • roweac
    roweac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article online from a health science department at a university (cant find the link or I would include it) about how to properly measure the human body for all sorts of things including blood pressure, pulse, weight, size, etc..... The article recommended weighing yourself upon awakening after evacuating your bladder, before ingesting anything, and with as few articles of clothing as possible.

I do it every morning and keep track of it in an excel spreadsheet (among other things for my doctor). I wear only my boxer briefs and my Fitbit (gotta count those steps to the scale!!!!!). I only log my weight to MFP once a week however and I use the weight from the scale at the gym for that day as it is always a few pounds heavier and the tools I use to measure my workouts need the weight you are at the time of the workout to estimate accurately. This way I am always giving myself a few pound buffer, but I always have a fairly accurate estimate of what my body weight is +/- a couple of pounds.

NOTE!!! many things will effect that morning weight. I have found that the amount of water I drink before bed, how many times I urinate, if at all during the night, how much sodium I have ingested the previous day, and believe it or not how much sleep I actually got can cause the morning weight to fluctuate by as much as three or four pounds. I panicked at first trying to figure out what was wrong, but logging it in Excel and charting it over time you can see that those variations sort of cancel out and I can see my weight loss trend.

I really believe that it probably does not matter when, just as long as you are consistent on repeated measurements over time, and allow for differences in water weight, clothing, different scales etc. The only way to be 99.999% accurate would be to go to a university and have your body measured scientifically, while naked, using pools to measure displacement etc.... Not at all practical for almost anyone.

This is just my 10.5 cents and it has worked for me so far, but it is by no means scientific and I am not claiming it as such. I believe that any data, even slightly inaccurate estimates, is better than none for this type of thing.

Thanks for listening to me rant.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of weighing myself everyday morning and night .. I think I need to pick one and stick to it. Maybe once a week.

me too. And if i'm not satisfied the first time, I step off and try again. LOL
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts so far - first thing in the morning is most consistent for me. I weigh myself on a traditional scale and also on my Wii (gives my 'approximate' BMI). If both are going down I know I'm moving in the right direction!
  • Ninalinda2012
    Options
    Morning morning and morning only.... I would never step on the scale in the afternoon or night, for sure I have 2 or 3 pounds more
  • Matt3723
    Options

me too. And if i'm not satisfied the first time, I step off and try again. LOL

HaHaHa ... so I'm not the only one that does that! Do you lean to the side too ? HaHaHa
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I weight daily to keep on track, first thing in the morning of course after a pee :blushing: The only day that I write down is Monday, I chose Mondays because it forces me to keep my goals in mind over the weekends when I'm at my busiest and have a tendency to slack on the food and exercise.

Also, since weight fluctuates I choose Monday so I have one day to see my final weekly results.