Not doing that well...

Options
On this weightloss journey, I am trying to lose around 150 lbs. So I have decided to set up a rewards schedule for when I lose a percentage of that goal, in the hopes that this will encourage me to really stick to my plan. What would you reward yourself with?

But I have already screwed up for today. I had some snacks this morning that I didn't need, didn't really want, and didn't fill me up. I am logging them on my food log just to remind myself that I don't need crap like this in my life. Without dinner planned (but snacks and lunch planned) I am already 1179 calories over my target for today. That number is just depressing because I didn't really needs the cookies I had already today.

Replies

• 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have learned that you can't mess this up in just one day. Start again tomorrow and keep going!
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    One good thing about weight loss being a journey is that there is time to learn from mistakes and move on down the road. Perhaps this experience will help you think twice the next time you think you want to go off track.

Think about this: What was the reason behind you really wanting those cookies? Was it a physical, emotional, or environmental factor that triggered your craving? It may help to come up with a game plan now to keep in mind the next time you experience a similar trigger. What will you do differently to get yourself through without those extra 1000 calories?

This is not a failure, it's a learning opportunity.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Feeling bad about it isn't going to help you. It's just going to make things worse. What you need to do is learn from it. Why did you eat it even though you didn't want it or need it? How can you avoid doing it in the future? What can you do differently next time? And remember how it made you feel. Remember next time you reach for those cookies how you might feel afterward.

Sometimes we run into trouble by acting without thinking. Just give yourself a few seconds to pause and consider before you eat. Compare the effect of those choices to your goals and see whether they match up. Sometimes just taking a look at what we do will change our choices.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Without dinner planned (but snacks and lunch planned) I am already 1179 calories over my target for today. That number is just depressing because I didn't really needs the cookies I had already today.

The answer? Skip dinner and any calories that will put you over for the day. Sure it totally sucks but if you don't ever suffer the consequence of eating over your calorie goal then what is different than before? You'll be hungry but once you meet your calorie goal you have to be done. The end. No more for the day.

If you eat cookies then you have to make yourself pay for it. Going over a couple hundred calories occasionally isn't that big of a deal but if you're crushing your plan with nearly an extra 1200 calories it's not going to work.
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    8goodgirl is right on the money. It's just one day. You've got to overcome the defeatist attitude. That was the hardest part for me too.

I destroyed a large bag of M&M's two days ago. Wasn't planned, and I wasn't proud of it. But it was one day and I've moved on. You do the same.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Shake it off! This is a journey and a process! Don't let one day or one choice for that day deter you from become a stronger healthier you! We all have off days and choices but this is a new lifestyle choice. Maybe your planned snack can be skipped because you focus on what your body is telling you. Are you really hungry or just want to eat out of bordom or routine? Keep fighting! You are the only you there is so take care! :heart: :bigsmile:
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have learned that you can't mess this up in just one day. Start again tomorrow and keep going!

^^ This.

Get right back on the horse! You're logging your calories, so you're keeping track of the good and the bad. Review your days, notice the weak spots, hold yourself accountable and make the improvements. It's good that you know you didn't need the cookies, remember that the next time treats sneak their wily heads your way again. :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Small rewards are a great motivator! New clothes are common to keep you going; also you could do things like getting a spa treatment for yourself like a new haircut, massage, or pedicure.

Just make sure the rest of your day is good and healthy. Don't wait til tomorrow, start now. Good luck!
  • kay1188
    kay1188 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Please remember that it is one day and as such you should not be so hard on yourself.... Myself and the members of my group ensure that we have one cheat day where we can have one snack or sweet of our choice (in moderation). We have found that just restricting ourselves causes us not to stick to the plan.

You can treat yourself to spa days... That is one of my favourite
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ehhh... Im not really good with numbers so I havent really set solid goals or rewards. Have you tried prelogging your big meals then filling in the extras with snacks? I started prelogging bc dinner is my largest meal then I work backwards. Even if its just an estimate and quick add of calories only, it can help. Im not saying give up snacks or treats but find a better way to log them. Good luck girl!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think your rewards system is great! I've set mini goals for myself, too, and my first reward was a small messenger bag for travel. I've actually just reached another goal and need to order a necklace I set aside for myself! I've set up rewards that will grow with me, so accessories or things to aid my working out like new trainers.

Don't worry about today! You've logged it, and 'fessing up to things like that help us in the long run. Eat well tonight, and remember that it's the overall trajectory of your eating habits. I read recently that you can "grade" each meal by giving yourself a point for good eating. If you have two off days (six meals), you still get 15/21, which is 71%--a passing mark! Just keep your "failing" days in mind and earn your points. =)

You can do it, and don't get down on yourself! Keep at it!
  • Melanie_xox
    Melanie_xox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi girls,
    I've been eating well since Friday, on the 1200 calorie plan. I have mostly done well and may be a little bit over but still should be losing 1-2 pounds per week...but I am starting my period any day now. do you think the week before bloating and girl stuff could make it so I don't lose weight or see results just yet?
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!! My reward will be when I turn 50 in January...if I meet my goal of fitting into the size 14 Levis I have hanging on my mirror, I get to buy myself a great pair of heels from Cole Haan. Oh but I get to go to Chicago to get them... :smile:

Have fun with it and stay positive....those snack cravings are hard to break.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Your day is not shot. Every meal is a decision. Every snack is a choice. What are your choices telling you about what you really want? What is your next choice going to be.

Lifestyle changes aren't about "starting next Monday", or tomorrow I'll do better. Lifestyle is just that! Life - every second of every day.

Now, where did you get the cookies? Why do you have them? For your kids? For your husband? Does anyone need them in the house? Probably not.

You can do this. It's not all or nothing. Make a better choice next meal. One meal at a time...
  • SoySalva
    SoySalva Posts: 138
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel....been there many times and trust me it's not worth beating yourself up over it! This journey is a hard one and we will fall sometimes but we must get up, dust ourselves off and continue. Don't give up! Your reward plan sounds good. My sister lost 140 lbs and she did exactly that....every time she reached a goal she would allow herself a meal or treat she would not have normally. It worked wonders...she looks great!
    Hang in there....you will succeed!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    you can work some of that off in they gym, if you haven't eaten your planned snacks and lunch yet, you can adjust them to make them leaner options. Go find yourself 4 oz of grilled chicken breast without oil and a crap ton of veg for lunch, and skip that snack because you've already eaten it. Seems to me that you may need to change your food options and availability on a daily basis if you're struggling that much, but with a closed diary it's difficult to tell.
  • NeeneVa
    NeeneVa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this article - it helped me because this is totally what I do. You have gotten some good advice here. Good luck!!

http://robbwolf.com/2012/08/08/going-going-started-handful-chips/
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!!

I used to be like that too, I would feel SO guilty for going over calories. I HATED seeing those red numbers in my diary, laughing in my face!

And you seem to be quite a bit over target... almost 1200 over without dinner? Okay, it sounds like you're goals are too restrictive for you to follow. I think you should try what I did in your situation, I lost 30 lbs and got myself well within my healthy BMI range by switching to low carb over calorie counting! Now I'm in the best shape of my life and finally feel comfy in my skin.

I couldnt believe it when I read the words "eat unlimited amounts" when referring to a diet, but that's what I did, and that's what worked for me. It's so easy and stress free when you're not feeling starved or deprived all the time. I was incredulous that I could feel satisfied AND lose weight at the same time! It just seems so simple, and it is.

The plan I followed is called the Dukan Diet, but you don't have to do any specific diet, just try keeping a low carb count, like 40-60 g per day and upping your protein and see how it works for you. I strongly recommend checking out the book "Wheat Belly". it has definitely changed my life for the better and I only wish I knew about the dangers of gluten earlier in life.

Well this has been sufficient for me. Hope you get something out of my words! Good luck.
  • dmpow12
    dmpow12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I decided when I started in January that I needed some little rewards to keep me going. In the past, when I lost 10 pounds I would reward myself with a tub of Ben and Jerrys, but that didn't really help! This time I picked something without calories...might not work for you, but it has for me.

Every five pounds I drop I treat myself to a pack of Sally Hansen nail polish strips and do my nails. I never used to do my nails very much, but this has worked great as an incentive and having polished nails for a week or so after also reinforces my efforts in my mind. Every time I reach for food I see my nails (all shiny and sparkly) and think...I want to keep them that way.

Walgreens online actually had them on sale for $5 a pack and I can get two manicures out of pack, so it isn't an expensive treat, but it lifts my mood a ton when I do them. And it really pushes me when I'm getting close to hang in there and keep working! I'm down 53 pounds, so it has definitely worked for me! ;-)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Changing your lifestyle isn't an easy thing! You will have setbacks, that's to be expected. It's those times when **** happens that you can learn from.

For me, I totally went over yesterday as well. I ate a ton of fries. I learned that when I don't bring enough food to work and have to stay late or have a late meeting I starve! and when I am starving I will eat anything put in front of me - last night it was rotisserie chicken and fries. I totally pigged out and paid for it with a horrible nights sleep from all the grease I ate. In the future I will bring more food to work and have an 'emergency' shake or bar or some form of snacks that I can eat if I am in need so I am not starving by the time I get home.

It may help you to also write down what you have learned and how you will deal with the temptation if it happens again :) Stick with it!