I am a personal trainer

Options
Good afternoon all, I have been on here for awhile now. I finally reached my goal and I decided to become a certified personal trainer. I am certified through ISSA!!! Love the job!! If any of you have any questions, please feel free to email me at candersontraining@yahoo.com

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Congrats on achieving your goals! That it totally awesome! It's good to know that there is someone here who actually KNOWS what they are talking about!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats on achieving your goals! That it totally awesome! It's good to know that there is someone here who actually KNOWS what they are talking about!
    No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

:frown: I bet this made dixon feel bad...what you said may be true, but he may actually know a lot! :flowerforyou: Congrats on being certified.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Double post!
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    Congrats on your certification and reaching your goal! I could never be a personal trainer...my hubby says I'm not intimidating enough. :grumble:
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    [No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice. ]

Wow... way to shoot someone down! I was simply trying to make him feel good about his accomplishments! I do realize that just because you have the training, not everyone knows how to use it well. I've also seen people with NO perfessional training know a lot. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of comments on here that don't seem legit and it's nice to see someone who actually has been trained in the area. You wouldn't hire a plumber to fix your electrical problem so why would you listen to someone who doesn't have training in the area of health and fitness. It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sence!
  • 2betoned
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I am so glad you will be helping others reach their goals. Sometimes I think the best kind of trainer is one that has been there, done that... if you know where your clients are coming from, it makes it easier to communicate and make the accomplishments happen!

Nevermind the haters, they will always be haters:(
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all, I have been on here for awhile now. I finally reached my goal and I decided to become a certified personal trainer. I am certified through ISSA!!! Love the job!! If any of you have any questions, please feel free to email me at candersontraining@yahoo.com

Congratulations! That's great!

Also--to others, I went to dixon's profile and read his previous posts--sure looks like he knows what he's talking about to me!

Again--congatulations on your accomplishment!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    OK HERE IS A SOMETHING FOR YOU DIXON. I AM LOST.

I HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT AT MINIMUM OF TWICE A WEEK AN HOUR PER TIME, SINCE MARCH 21. AT THIS TIME I WAS 120. (I AM 5'-3")
    I GOAL WAS/IS TO GET TONED AND TO TAKE CAR OF THE MIDDLE ( NO MATTER YOUR SIZE I THINK WE ALL HAVE SOMETHING)
    ANY WAY. THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS I HAVE WORN ANYTHING FROM A 2 TO A 4 DEPPENDING WHERE IT COMES FROM. THEN MY PANTS WERE NOT FITTING. I HAD TO GO FIND SOMETHING TO WEAR TO WORK. I CAN GET 4 ON BUT CANT BUTTON THEN. SO I GOT A 6. THE 6 IS A LITLLE BIG BUT DECENT AROUND THE WAIST.

MY MEASUREMENTS ARE ALL GOING DOWN EACH TIME WE DO THEM AND MY WEIGHT HAD GONE UP TO 127.

SO I AM LOST. MEASUREMENTS GOING DOWN EVERYTHING ELSE GOING UP. AND NOT HAVING STUFF TO WEAR TO WORK. A LITTLE FRUSTRATING.

MY TRAINER SAYS DEIT THAT ITS ON WHAT YOU EAT. WELL I EAT PRETTY DARN GOOD AND DONT KNOW HOW AND WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IT ANY BETTER.

HERE ARE MY MEASUREMENTS, HIPS HAVE COME DOWN .5 SINCE THESE HERE.

Waist 30.0 on 08/14/09

Hips 34.5 on 05/22/09

Chest 34.0 on 08/14/09

Tri. Body Fat % 18.0 on 08/14/09

Thigh Body Fat % 23.0 on 08/14/09

Suprailium Body Fat % 25.0 on 08/14/09

thigh 21.0 on 08/14/09

arms 10.0 on 08/14/09
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Congrats Dixon.

Having at one time been a financial advisor, I know that just passing the tests and requirements to be certified is a huge accomplishment.

I know it doesn't make you good, or get you in front of clients, but it is a great sense of accomplishment.

I haven't looked up what I need to do to be a PT, mostly because I'm not that good at that type of sales job. But it does interest me, because a lot of people have asked me about my weight loss, and told me that I have inspired them.

Good Luck.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I think personal trainer's who have struggled in the past with weight goals make the best :happy: Best of wishes to you and next time I'm racking my head against the wall trying to figure something out, I just may ask you!
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    k mr personal trainer...
    Heres my question: Foods to eat before working out? Im a coffee drinker. and dont like to eat prior to my 4:30 am work out
    So i wake up at 4 drink 1 cup coffee with 2 tbsp creamer, 2 pkts splenda.
    Try to drink about 6 oz water and take a Burn 60 Pill. =Pre work out
    Cardio Days: Jog for 45 min (Mon, Wed, Fri) (Abs or Calfs Lunges if im feeling for it)
    Non Cardio Days: (Tue, Thur, Sat) Jog 15-20 min Weight training (Sguats, Lunges, Tris, Lower Abs)

6 days a week 1 hour a time

Does someone have to eat before jogging 45 min? or Before weights?
    Does it help you lose fat better if you do eat prior to work out?
    What do you suggest as a daily pre breakfast and post work out breakfast?
    I can do a protine shake after, How long after (i heard: finish it within 30 min of work out)?

Thank you for your time
    Female 28 years old :)
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    bump
  • dncn_chrsty
    Options
    Just joined a gym today. Trying to stay strong and committed.
  • dixon5000
    dixon5000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As far as my experience, I have been doing personal training, bodybuilding competitions and powerlifting competitions since 1991. Also, since I am full-time Army National Guard, I also help overweight soldiers lose weight and improve their Physical training scores. So RV is correct by saying anyone can get certified for $300 dollars for the generic certifications. The REAL certification like mine takes a lot of knowledge to obtain and is recognized by the American Counsel of Education. I also have 10 clients that I work with on a daily basis at Anytime Fitness.
  • dixon5000
    dixon5000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    csmith6089, here are some tips for success. Cardio in the morning is best but if you cannot make sure you do NOT eat anything with in 45 minutes of cardio

What do you suggest as a daily pre breakfast and post work out breakfast? My clients usually eat about the same meals, 3 egg whites, one piece of wheat toast and a cup of fruit.

I can do a protine shake after, How long after (i heard: finish it within 30 min of work out)? You are correct, within 30 minutes of a work out session. I take mine to the gym.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    [No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice. ]

Wow... way to shoot someone down! I was simply trying to make him feel good about his accomplishments! I do realize that just because you have the training, not everyone knows how to use it well. I've also seen people with NO perfessional training know a lot. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of comments on here that don't seem legit and it's nice to see someone who actually has been trained in the area. You wouldn't hire a plumber to fix your electrical problem so why would you listen to someone who doesn't have training in the area of health and fitness. It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sence!

I TOTALLY agree on this and he wasn't putting the original poster down at all. Personal trainers can get certified in as little as 6 classes. I know this for a fact because I teach the class. Do I think they know everything that they should?? Probably not. I've seen some trainers out there that are TRAINWRECKS. I wanna scream at their clients to run as far away as they possibly can!

He was just saying that make sure your do your homework on whoever you are giving your hard earned $$$$ to as far as training goes.
  • jennbissonnette
    Options
    HAHA. Man, dont you know that your going to be asked a million questions allllll the time!!!! lol. But seriously, I have very muscular legs and want them to be thin. How the heck can i do this? I do 40minutues incline on a treadmill and 10-15 on a eliptical everyday. Is this good? I LOOOOVVEEE Megan Fox's legs. Actually, i love everything about the way she looks. (Most people do)! lol. What do you suggest i do as a work out? Thanks for all your help!

CONGRATS!
    -Jenn
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options

Wow, what a nasty thing to say to someone you don't even know.