Running/yoga/pilates after a herniated disk operation

Options
Hi guys! I had an operation on herniated disk at the begining of July and I am recovering from it. I was allowed to go back to swimming last week but still the level of inactivity I have to keep is driving me crazy. I am under control of very good physio and I do listen to him but anytime I mention things liek running or yoga he refuses to even talk about when.

I just wanted to ask. Did anyone had such operation (lover back)? When were you allowed to go running or doing yoga/pilates? I am not going to rush things but I'm just curious. How long did it took until you were allowed to work out normally?

Replies

• head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump
  • head_in_rainbows
    Options
    Anyone?
  • head_in_rainbows
    Options
    Noone?
  • emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    dont push it! listen to your doc, dont wear it out too fast, folks tend to start feeling good and then want to do more than they should sooner than its actually healed! You only have one back take care of it and slowly strengthen the muscles as he allows and the exercises he gives you! just saying....take it easy when the time is right he will let you do more, patience isnt my strongest virtue either at times!
  • head_in_rainbows
    Options
    I know and I am not going to rush things and won't do anything before given green light. I am just curious when others were allowed to start doing it.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    With my low back injury, I'm very cautious of forward bending of yoga and the core strengthening of pilates. They both put tremendous strain on the lumbar disc spaces. I've only recently got into running but only with a forefoot strike technique which greatly reduces the impact on the spine (and most other joints). It will be while before you can start heel strike running again due to the repetitive impact.
  • eloelochat
    eloelochat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm a pilates instructor and I'd take a patient like you if they walked through the door. NOT for therapy, because I'm not a physio. But we are trained to teach and work AROUND injuries. Maybe you could talk about it around you, see if you can identify a teacher or a studio where some of your friends or family have been with back issues and/or injuries.
    When you find people you can trust to work with you safely, talk again to your Dr and see if he would be cool with that (get them to talk to each other maybe?). I would NOT go and do sport against a medical opinion :/ a disk is not a joke, think safety first!
    And I do love and practice yoga, but I would be scared as hell to go after a disk operation, because of the all twists and bend... I think that pilates uses smaller ranges of motion, and you could surely work the core, legs and arms so that you have muscles to support your back when it's healed?

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • head_in_rainbows
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm a pilates instructor and I'd take a patient like you if they walked through the door. NOT for therapy, because I'm not a physio. But we are trained to teach and work AROUND injuries. Maybe you could talk about it around you, see if you can identify a teacher or a studio where some of your friends or family have been with back issues and/or injuries.
    When you find people you can trust to work with you safely, talk again to your Dr and see if he would be cool with that (get them to talk to each other maybe?). I would NOT go and do sport against a medical opinion :/ a disk is not a joke, think safety first!
    And I do love and practice yoga, but I would be scared as hell to go after a disk operation, because of the all twists and bend... I think that pilates uses smaller ranges of motion, and you could surely work the core, legs and arms so that you have muscles to support your back when it's healed?

GOOD LUCK!!!

Aw thank you! It's great to know that about pilates instructors It is a rey of light really.. I will talk with my physio :) and than look around for a good place to start :) I am not going to start running before strenghening my back and abs for sure. And I guess yoga will have to wait a bit than :(
  • emilysuelemus
    emilysuelemus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    so glad to hear that! Mine has been 8 mos and counting course we are all different when it comes to healing but I believe the ave is about 6 mos to a year to really heal well! good luck!! I have lost 40 llbs in the last 8 mos with very little exercis, mostly water exercise and just now starting to take walks, Im probly over cautious cuz I dont ever want to be in that position I was in Feb, too mee slow and steady wins the race, Im trying hard to lissten to my body in terms of diet and exercise!! The body has an amzing way of healing itself if we put the right things in it! Gods master plan!
  • create4life
    Options
    I would wait 1 year. Any Pilates instructive will need a note from your Dr. Pilates is the way to go for u after such a surgery. I am recovering from a bulging disc and my Pilates power gym has been collecting dust for 5 mo. I'm waiting 1 more and even thn will not do any exercise that compromises my lumbar where I was injured. I'm so scared!! The pain from the bulge is not a distant memory yet. Good luck to you!! All in due time!!
  • lettucemunc
    lettucemunc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with a herniated disk, so I came to this board to see what I am looking at to get this thing healed up. Sounds like I have a long road ahead of me.