Am I the only one...

Options
who is falling in love with eating healthy? I can't believe how much BETTER food tastes now that I am eating healthier and trying to eat as many clean, whole foods as possible? I find foods that are high in bad fats just disgust me now and even the thought of fast food turns my stomach. The other day I had a small piece of cheesecake with my family because they really wanted me to partake and I was really low on calories for the day so I decided to join them to get my calorie count up. It tasted like crap to me. Sure the flavour was good, but the texture and heaviness of it just left a lot to be desired for me. Yet today, I bit into my scrambled eggs on toast (made with just some cracked black pepper and whole grain toast with just a little unsalted butter, not margarine) and my eyes literally rolled back with how good it tasted. I ate some baked snacks the other night (asiago flavour) and they tasted great, but I found myself making a face because...well all I can say is meh. Then I bite into an apple or some all natural unsalted almonds and I practically purr. I'm enjoying eating so much more now and the greatest part is that I CAN EAT MORE OF IT! Can I say that I am in heaven? Diet? Oh hell no do not use that word with me. This is how I will be eating for the rest of my life. Why would I change?

Thanks for listening :)

Replies

• TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying healthy foods much more. I have NO desire for fast food. The thought of it is ICK! Never thought I would say that.

I am mot eating 'clean' fully..gotta have my PB & Nutella.. ice cream & chocolate. I know not good for me but overall I am eating SO much healthier than I was prior to MFP. it's a journey. Maybe someday the thought of ice cream or Nutella will provoke an 'ick' out of me.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching out the ice cream for low fat frozen yogurt? Not a wholly perfect healthy food, but slightly healthier than ice cream.

Chocolate is fine in moderation, but maybe try some dark chocolate from your local bulk food store. It is a bit healthier than milk chocolate and has a lot of very good things for your heart in it. It also has a much richer taste that I honestly prefer. Plus, brick chocolate is much healthier than chocolate bars.

For peanut butter...you can get nice organic all natural peanut butter that is so much better for you and, I think, tastes much better.

I can't offer any replacements for Nutella. I know it is touted as a health food but it really isn't lol. But, as they say, everything in moderation. If you love it that much then don't deny yourself.

Oh...and if you make that toast you put it on "whole grain" you are doing a wonderful thing for your body. People often mistake "whole wheat" for "whole grain", that isn't the case. I eat Dempster's whole grains 12-grain bread and LOVE it. So full of nice whole grains that taste so wonderful and give a really nice texture to the bread.
  • cindergirl73
    Options
    I love this post.... :happy:
  • 2clessofme
    Options
    Interesting,
    I had not looked at it like that but maybe I am doing the same. My family handed me an Ice Cream bar last night and while I started eating it I found that is did not taste that good. Maybe it is true that all the junk food is like an addition, once it is gone from your fat cells you no longer crave it. :)
  • gldnlark
    gldnlark Posts: 53
    Options
    I've been into health-food most of my life, but last year when I experimented with vegetarianism, I found that red meat gave me acne within 2 days of consuming even one meal... Yes, I went back to meat after a few months (chicken, fish) but it was a lesson well learned... Recently, I've been into juice-fasting with incredible results! I'm only juicing 5 days a week and eating solid food on weekends, but this last weekend, I had a meal with pork ribs and only ate one. It just didn't turn me on! Not that it tasted bad, but I was way more interested in the potato and coleslaw! I'm just not as interested in meat lately, even on my "solid-weekends" and I find that crazy... but in a GOOD way!
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been eating healthier for about three weeks now, and can't explain how much better I am feeling... I am starting to crave veggies vs junk... what' s with that!! So I would say that once we break the junk food addiction.,,,, we will be craving better food. I am slowly learning to understand a friend who loves veggies, etc. over junk food. So here's to continuing the journey and lifestyle change.
  • SofiaJara
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this post. I am trying to eat healthier lately, but it is not easy.
    The low fat frozen yogurt sounds good to me..
  • babyblue1333
    babyblue1333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not there yet but I am trying!!!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Healthy foods make a big difference. You will feel and look better. You can't go wrong putting nutrients into your body.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    no - not at all - not just you. It's really strange - I sit down and something like brocolli and cottage cheese mmmm - yum - I can't believe how good some food tastes - sometimes it feels like actually really tasting food for the first time - I considered that because I do so much gyming it my lungs and sinuses have cleared up a lot - and assumed it has some affect on my taste buds as well?

dunno, don't care, just love it :)
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    No, I agree. And I get so excited about using fresh produce. Cooking has become exciting. In fact, I think I spend too much time planning, prepping, shopping and cooking for meals lol.

I'm far from a clean eater and I especially love my sweet treats but my goodness I'm eating a hell of a lot better than before.
  • rosecando
    rosecando Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    guess im same as babyblue- a work in progress- but excited.:smile:
    I did hav a sweet slice yesterday and felt sick by it, so maybe thats a sign !!! lol
    Whats clean eating??
  • ceeegeee
    ceeegeee Posts: 18
    Options
    My taste buds are so different now. My sister who is a nutritionist says that this is common ( we were talking about this last weekend). I can't believe how good vegetables and fruit taste now. I also notice the flavors of herbs and spices.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is trying to eat more whole/unprocessed foods and staying away from chemicals and additives.