Exercise in the morning making you more hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chelsea_S_Woot
    Options
    I am the same way about wanting to just get the workout over with for the day before work and I totally get hungry way earlier when I do an early AM workout vs. nothing at all.

I've heard that if you have a scrambled egg and a piece of wheat toast that's a good way to start out your day; lots of protein & a few carbs to keep you energized and full until lunch.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I used to get up at 4:30 a.m. to hit spin class before work
    working out in the morning def made me hungrier so
    Before I left I grabbed a banana & ate while driving
    I always made (the night before) a morning snack to eat while at work
    protien bar, greek yogurt & fruit, almonds, whole wheat waffle with peanut butter, banana with peanut butter, smoothie
    hope this helps ;)
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I find I eat more if I DON"T do my morning workout....so it the opposite for me :) I do however have a protein packed after workout shake along with a big breakfast so that many be why! :)

Also if I try and skip breakfast I am ravenous all day long!

My usually post workout shakes consist of protein powder, frozen fruit, yogurt and almond milk!
    My breakfasts are usually eggs or yogurt with fruit! I try to have at least 15 grams of protein by the time I leave the house for work....maybe that willl help. :)
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    Any suggestions on the best protein shakes? Or how to make them? I'm a newbie at them!
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I exercise early in the am as well and I notice the same thing. Since I workout on an empty stomach, I make sure to eat WELL at breakfast. Its easier for me, being a creature of habit to have the same thing for a week. This week I enjoy a cup of steel cut oats sweetened with craisins, 2 boiled eggs, coffee, water. I eat this at about 9:15 when I get to work and this keeps me full until about 1 or 1:30...which for me is AMAZING!! Then I enjoy a brown rice based lunch. I sautee some stuff to have on top. (Shrimp or chicken or like today just cabbage and mushrooms) I try to keep my lunches very veggie, since I am sedentary during my work day. This leaves me a NIIICE dinner budget, which works for me, because I can eat a nice volume of food, so I have more wiggle room that way. Good luck!
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    I have started working out in the mornings the past 2 weeks and have found that I do get hungrier earlier in the day. I get up around 5:30am do my work out shower get my daughter and myself ready for the day then get to work by 7:30ish. I keep the Better Oats oatmeal at my desk, most of them are 100-160 cals with flax seed and I have a protein shake (Premier Nutrition Chocolate Shake) or add some protein powder (Jay Robb Whey protein) to the oatmeal to make it 'meatier' then I have a protein bar (Pure Protein, the deluxe chocolate tastes like a brownie!) or unsalted peanuts for a snack. I find that I do have more energy throughout the day and still workout after my daughter goes to be every M, W, F and Saturday just do the morning work out then my rest day is Sunday. Good post, I also need some additional snack options :happy:
  • maggie2731
    Options
    I buy my protein shakes at costco or sams club. it says on ir protein shakes and 30g of protein. hope this helps
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone already mentioned it but eat something with protein. Make sure your meals are well-balanced. I usually do something like "proatmeal" in the morning (I'm eating a higher protein diet anyway). With that I do plain oatmeal and ad 1tbsp of pecans, 1/2 a banana, 1 scoop of whey protein, and 1/4 cup of organic silk milk. It's tasty and filling and keeps me full until my next "meal" 3 or 3.5 hours later.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do half a banana before workout at 5am, then come home and microwave some egg whites (in a bowl with pam spray), add some low fat cheese and salsa. That keeps me until 10, when I do a greek yogurt. Then I do a salad with chicken at 11:45. But yes, on my morning workout days I am much hungrier and pack an extra snack :)
  • mereyrae30
    mereyrae30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on the best protein shakes? Or how to make them? I'm a newbie at them!

Yoplait makes a good packaged mix for Protein shakes.I like the Berry one. Strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. Add water to cover mixture and a scoop of EAS Soy Vanilla Protein powder(any protien powder will work) and blend it all up with my Ninja- best thing ever for smoothies!

One of my favorites is a Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake:

Cup or 2(give or take) of Ice
    One spoonful of PB
    One Banana(sometimes I'll only use half)
    1 cup milk (skim, almond, soy...your choice)
    1 scoop Chocolate Protein

Again- blend altogether- YUMMO!

Made this recently to sneak in some veggies:

Cup of Ice
    Handful of Pineapple
    Handful of Fresh Spinach Leaves
    One Banana
    One cup of Cocunut Milk(it tastes basically like reg milk so you can use any you prefer)

**this one can be mixed up with all kinds of fruits and other veggies: kale, peaches, apples, kiwi, etc. The fruits mask the taste of the veggies so it tastes sweet. Looks pretty gross, but very good!
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    YES that is why I'm not a big fan of it.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No, seems to surpress my hunger
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options

My fanorite tastes like a PB&J:

1 cup milk (I use almond)
    1/2 cup frozen (that way you dont have to use ice) berries...I usually go for strawberries or cherries!
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tbs powdered or regular peanut butter

Put in a blender and taDA!

:)
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    HA yes! I love the ravenous appetite from a killer morning workout. I also love knowing I can eat a big breakfast and not feel a bit of guilt afterwards.

My favorite shake is Protein powder, almond milk, plain greek yogurt, peanut butter, a banana and a tsp of flax. That thing is a hefty 450 cal of pure yummy protein goodness.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    YUP- I solve this by having a protein shake mixed with light vanilla soy milk before I workout (4:30am, I workout at 5). I have another after my workout with a banana or apple (6:30am) and then when I get to work I have either oatmeal with applesauce or some other mix in, or banana & powered peanut butter on a wheat round. I usually have around 350 cals in me between the shakes and my breakfast. I then have a 150-ish cal snack before lunch (which is at noon). I then have another snack between lunch and 5pm. I have dinner around 6:30, and then a have another protein shake (casein) before bed to hold be over til morning.

I highly recommend Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate protein powder. I've been using it since I started a protein supplement at the suggestion of a trainer and my brother (who went to school to be a nutritionist). It's a very pure mix, doesn't contain a lot of sugar and metal additives as some others out there, and has under 150 cals/serving. Plus, tastes great with water or (soy/almond/regular) milk. Sometimes I cut it 50/50 with water and milk. Also good to blend with milk & banana or peanut butter. I get mine on Amazon.com. You can get it anywhere that sells protein supplements really, it's a popular brand. I also take Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega strawberry fish oil & Optimum Nutrition Opti-Woman multi-vitamin with my morning protein shake.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    YUP- I solve this by having a protein shake mixed with light vanilla soy milk before I workout (4:30am, I workout at 5). I have another after my workout with a banana or apple (6:30am) and then when I get to work I have either oatmeal with applesauce or some other mix in, or banana & powered peanut butter on a wheat round. I usually have around 350 cals in me between the shakes and my breakfast. I then have a 150-ish cal snack before lunch (which is at noon). I then have another snack between lunch and 5pm. I have dinner around 6:30, and then a have another protein shake (casein) before bed to hold be over til morning.

I highly recommend Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate protein powder. I've been using it since I started a protein supplement at the suggestion of a trainer and my brother (who went to school to be a nutritionist). It's a very pure mix, doesn't contain a lot of sugar and metal additives as some others out there, and has under 150 cals/serving. Plus, tastes great with water or (soy/almond/regular) milk. Sometimes I cut it 50/50 with water and milk. Also good to blend with milk & banana or peanut butter. I get mine on Amazon.com. You can get it anywhere that sells protein supplements really, it's a popular brand. I also take Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega strawberry fish oil & Optimum Nutrition Opti-Woman multi-vitamin with my morning protein shake.

Thanks so much for the info!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    What I've found through personal experience (backed by the advice of a trainer here at work) is that you really want a "replenishment snack" pretty much as soon as possible after your workout, and a peach just ain't gonna cut it.

Experiment with combinations of the following:

1. A 100-150 calorie snack, higher in complex carbs, before your workout.
    2. Snacks of various sizes, from 100 to 250-300 calories, within about a half hour after your workout. Mix of protein and complex carbs. Make sure it has a good bit of protein.

Exactly what you do is up to your own preferences. A protein shake, a banana and some almonds, whatever floats your boat.

It may or may not work for you, but I find that if I don't eat a little something satisfying fairly soon after my workout, I drop into BEAST MODE and start emptying refrigerators into my gaping maw. Anything edible in my sights becomes instantly unsafe, and I start getting creative ideas about how to make drywall edible.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Oh, and PS: I bicycle to work frequently. It's a 14 mile ride in hilly terrain, so I easily burn through 600 calories.

I make a big batch of refrigerator oatmeal (1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup yogurt, a splash of milk, a tablespoon each of peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, and maple syrup or molasses, and a teaspoon of cinnamon - mix in a container and leave in fridge overnight).

In the morning, I just take the container out of the fridge and throw it in my pannier bag with my lunch. When I get to work, instant replenishing deliciousness with lots of yummy recharging proteins and complex carbs. It costs pennies to make, keeps very well, takes almost no prep time, is very nutritious, and usually fills me up very effectively.

For the days when it doesn't, I wait a half hour and if I'm still hungry I got buy a 2-egg omelet at the cafeteria. With whatever the heck I want in it, because I know it'll fill me up and when I burn off 1200 calories a day round tripping to work on the bicycle I already struggle with getting enough calories so as not to end up with dizzy spells and feeling crappy and whatnot.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    That's awesome that you ride your bike to work! I've actually been talking about getting a bike because I think it would make for an interesting, easy work out. That way I could get out, bike around town, go down streets I haven't been on, see stuff I haven't seen all the while still working out and it's something different than going 30 minutes or an hour on the elliptical, lol.