How do you deal with making a complete f*& up?

Options
How does one recover equilibrium and go on after royally f*&ing up at work? I can't stop obsessing.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Depends. What did you do? Details, details.
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself, own your mistake and do better tomorrow.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility and be part of the solution to fix it.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Own it, admit it, fix it if you can, and move on.
  • Schmetterling14
    Schmetterling14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Keep working. My guess is that if you went back and thought over the time at work (years, probably), you would find many many many more "f******* awesomes" than "f*** ups". Take the "long view."
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Own up to the mistake, apologize and accept that you are human and thing happen. I have made many mistakes at work, but you pick yourself back up and work even harder to make it right :) Its ok, everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect. I understand the obsessing over it, but don't beat your self up, it happened, and you just need to move on and work to make it right :)
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sepuko. No, just kidding. I would try to just move on. If you didn't get fired over it, it probably wasn't that massive of a f*&# up in the grand scheme of things.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Own it, admit it, fix it if you can, and move on.

This.

Edited to add: And if part of the problem is facing the bosses and/or coworkers, hold your head up and remember that there's not a single one of us that hasn't effed up majorly at least once, or will.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I second this
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    Recognize the F Up, move one and never repeat it. That is why we F up..
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Try to cover it up best you can, blame someone else if possible.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've learned if you obsess over it, you will continue to make mistakes. I have a pretty unforgiving boss when it comes to mistakes and they are often brought up again after the fact. So it's hard, but I have to understand it was a mistake, make a conscious effort to make sure it doesn't happen again and eventually move on. We are all human and mistakes can happen.
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Short term amnesia. It is no different than, say, a binge day eating. Dwelling on it does not make it go away, it just makes you feel bad. It's in the past. You cannot change it. Forget about it. Focus on tomorrow and the things you have control over.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Try to cover it up best you can, blame someone else if possible.

Heh....
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself, own your mistake and do better tomorrow.

Ditto.

Also, this is not easy. You will actually have to remind yourself to forgive yourself on several occasions.

This will be easier, if you also take this perspective of other people's screw ups. Be quick to forgive those that take accountability and try to recover.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I vote for the own up to it and strive to be the person that fixes it. Then move on and remember lessons learned.
  • LoveMyBulldog
    Options
    Just like Meloyelo2010 said ... square your shoulders, take your hits, learn from it, and then move on.
  • micahsnana377
    Options
    well, with anything you forgive yourself first of all!!! then you pick yourself up, dust off the seat of your pants and continue on, such is life!!!! hang in there!!!!!!!!You can make it!!!!!!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Have an honest conversation with the people involved, take responsibility for your mistakes, and develop a plan to fix it. Then remind yourself of all the good things you've done in your job that you're proud of, strive every day to reach that level, and try to forgive yourself for one mistake. If you're obsessing, give yourself something else to focus on - a to-do list, perfecting a presentation, etc. One day at a time!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options

This, AND apologize once, and then stop. Women especially tend to keep apologizing over and over. Let others forget. Spend some time doing things that make you feel competent.

Give yourself a time limit for obsessing- after this weekend, if you start thinking about the eff-up, consciously put it out of your mind. Pre-select some affirmations or good thougths to replace them, if needed. And be as nice and forgiving as you would to someone else in the same situation!

Get some friends together for happy hour, the sole purpose being everyone telling tales of their worst screw-ups. I'm sure someone will top you!