Clean eating - definition?

Options
Everybody everywhere is talking about clean eating.
Google it and everyone seems to have a different definition. I THOUGHT it meant not eating stuff from a box (generally) but now I am not so sure.

Can someone shed some light on this please? What the heck is "clean" by definition?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You're correct there is no set definition of clean eating

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Gaz3376
    Gaz3376 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Real food, Veggies Fish Meat eggs fruit etc and low Gi Carbs, Brown rice, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Oats, sweet potato.

Basically nothing with processed added sugars.
  • helen0616
    Options
    So are people just deciding that what they're eating is "clean" and then feeling proud about it?
    I have been thinking that clean eating means nothing from a box: like no pasta, no whole grain cereal, etc. Someone told me if it doesn't spoil within a week, it's not clean. That would mean milk is out, yogurt, cheese, lots of things that are part of a balanced, healthy died.

Perhaps the old "everything in moderation" outlook remains key.
  • Ironphoenix
    Options
    Hey, my definition of clean eating is to only eat foods in their natural state or with minimal ingredients. It involves cooking your own food mostly. Avoid anything with added additives, sugars, sweetners, artificial things, anything that has things in the ingredients list that you dont know of or cant pronounce are generally bad. lol. Cheese would be fine (ideally organic unpasturised) milk etc... all of those things are considered clean :) remember you have to live too! I follow clean eating guidelines mostly so Ill friend you. Take a look at my diary :)

Also take out any soda- regular or diet. It does no good for your body and is ultimately full of chemicals. x
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I define it as having a diet mostly of minimally processed foods, less additives. But I think you are correct with the everything in moderation is key.

I've found that focusing on whole foods, which are more nutrient dense foods and usually lower in calories, has helped keep me from bingeing because I get fuller faster with the same amount of cals. But I still like to treat myself every now and then and really don't see the point of putting a label on it anymore.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So are people just deciding that what they're eating is "clean" and then feeling proud about it?
    Sounds about right.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You're correct there is no set definition of clean eating

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

Thanks for the link, I especially like how the writer compares the diet trends for the past 3 decades and how each decade viewed "clean eating"... so drastically different from each decade!

But my FAVORITE part was this:

" It emphasizes a prehistoric model, yet many of its proponents take an array of cutting-edge nutritional supplements, and use satellite technology to navigate their drive to the closest parking spot at the gym."

:bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I define it as washing your produce before you eat it! :laugh: :tongue:
  • boreshagal
    Options
    Tosca Reno. Look her up and she explains clean eating like no one else.Oxygen magazine and Clean Eating magazine is a great resource. When I first discovered her eating plan I was scared I would never get used to such healthy eating or bland eating. I was so wrong! Now I crave the incredible tasty suggestions.She is the true Queen of clean eating along with her husband, Robert Kennedy, God rest his soul.You will not be dissappointed, I promise.:happy:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My definition would be 'minimally processed', and 'as close to natural as possible'.

i still eat cheese, drink soy milk, and bread. Anything that I can buy organic I will, mainly because organic foods taste better. Specifically veggies, fruits and meats. Regular versions of those foods are all pumped with chemicals/antibiotics to make them grow faster, bigger and pest/disease free. I don't know what all those chemicals will do to my own body, so why ingest it?

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/hormones/

Since I've been 'eating clean' I don't handle all the processed foods as well now. I went to a party last weekend, and decided to have one of those store bought sugar cookies (haven't had one in over a year), yeah, my insides did NOT like it, and let me know in some not so nice ways.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I think it means you should wash all your food before eating it